Starbucks

5,318 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,565 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

Hectic and fast pace environment. However, great employees and great customer building bond.

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

It's a great place to work if you want to meet many young interactive people but also very business say people as well. you get to meet a diverse set of people not just the typical "white girl" assumptions. The partners are great, family friendly environment and great benefits. health care, tips. 401 k plan. etc.

Cons

It's fast paced and very hectic. Arguments happen, customers are sometimes rude, partners do get upset with one another. Starting pay isn't great.

No comment

Great place to work

Current Employee - Creative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Creative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Management is genuinely interested in your career growth, many opportunities to explore different areas/functions within the organization, the partners love the brand which makes for a great corporate culture.

Cons

Depending on the group, there can be a lot of ambiguity with projects which makes getting thing done challenging.

A culture of collaboration is great, however it also impedes the best work. Let the experts be the decision makers.

you are the last priority

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

I liked the free coffee and pastries, they give you stock which is cool, and now they can help you pay for school. Making drinks in itself is fun, and there were a lot of great people there (both coworkers and customers) who have forever impacted my life in amazing ways.

Cons

The pay is far from competitive. I worked as a shift supervisor at an extremely busy store and was constantly busting my butt and could never manage to get my wages above $11/hour. Staffing is often terrible, and there is way more expected of you than is often possible with what you are given. I was very good at this job and constantly felt punished for that because management kept taking advantage of me. My search for a different job began when my doctor had to prescribe me anxiety medication just to get through the work day.

We are your partners, not your slaves. Prioritize us for once.

It was fun while it lasted.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Starbucks was a great company to work for. On top of a weekly coffee markout and discounts, partners receive excellent health benefits and a stock bonus yearly. Store managers also have the opportunity to receive a cash bonus quarterly based on sales. It is very possible to build a career at Starbucks with a little motivation. I was hired as a barista and worked my way up to store manager. I know many other people who did this same thing. They believe in their partners and are not afraid to promote within.

Cons

High pressure and fast paced all the time. Often unrealistic expectations from upper management. Zero work-life balance. The work-life balance is what drove me to quit after 9 years with the company.

Be more hands-on with your stores.

Happy to be a Partner!!

Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Barista Trainer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The recent improvements in policies and benefits truly show how much this company appreciates its employees!! For example: Free college tuition at ASU, partial tuition reimbursement at any other college, weekly tea or coffee mark-outs, free food and beverages when you work, awesome 401(k) plan with company match, company stock plans, great health insurance, discounts, etc.If there is ever an issue, Partner Resources Center is great! Flexible hours are also nice for us full-time college students. Pay, tips, and bonuses aren't half bad either! We really couldn't ask for anything more!

Cons

Customers can be wretched, and even in the worst cases we are still expected to kiss their butt. Things can get very busy, stressful, and downright chaotic with no warning, and usually at times when we are understaffed; breaks are very short, and A LOT of multitasking is required of us. Realistically, however, this is to be expected of any service industry job...

Please encourage your partners to grow, learn, and help the store and company thrive!! I have seen many DMs, SMs, and ASMs who go out of their way to exclude baristas from literally everything (i.e. company changes and news, seasonal promo set-ups, etc.), and deny them the right to grow and learn (i.e. Barista training and certification, Coffee Master, Barista Trainer, etc.). Understandably, some things are only intended for upper management, but most aren't. There is no reason not to inform and empower the baristas that earn Starbucks its profits.

Barista Review

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast Interview, Detailed management, and the employees

Cons

None at this time. I just started

Fits me as a person

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Love what I do and really enjoy the fast pace and challenges while working with great people. Great benefits

Cons

Some markets have limited potential for growth and promotion due to lack of stores/available positions.

Starbucks is what you make of it

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The relationships that you build are the best part of the job so your attitude has a lot to do with how satisfied you are. If you are kind and warm to people they will reciprocate and you'll see what you do makes a difference in people's days and it makes this job incredibly rewarding. The pay could be a little better but I don't have much to complain about because they are paying for me to finish my degree.

Cons

Expectations from management are sometimes unreasonable. Stores are frequently short staffed and then you get asked to send more people home.

A tremendous company to work for

Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Culture, autonomy, comprehensive benefits, hours

Cons

Upon hire, you have to wait at least 60 days for insurance and etc to start

Fun social job

Former Employee - Barista in Corvallis, OR
    Former Employee - Barista in Corvallis, OR

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you meet, customers and coworkers
    Free drinks
    Flexible hours
    Easy work
    Fun work environment
    Opportunity for advancement.
    Benefits
    401k
    Stocks

Cons

Early hours (occasionally)
    Sporadic shifts
    Dealing with difficult customers (but they are lessons learned)
    Low pay
    Make (on average) $1 per hour in tips
    Not everyone you work with is mature enough to handle every situation, and you will encounter a wide variety of situations.

Promote from within. Don't hire outside people for different management positions. I've seen it play out a couple different times, and it never works.