Starbucks

5,114 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,447 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Lake Elsinore, CA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Lake Elsinore, CA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Fun first job. Easily to learn. Great perks. Worked there for four years and it was very fun and easy.

Cons

Crappy hours and scheduling. Little consideration for availability. But I suppose that's a store by store issue.

Fun environment and great first job

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Able to work your way up the ladder if you are interested
    - Flexibility in scheduling
    - Co-workers are great (never had any problems and worked at 4 different stores)
    - Decent benefits even for those who work part-time

Cons

- Management sometimes sucks
    - Pay is not as competitive as you would think.
    (In 6 years of working I only got a little over $2 more than where I started.)

- More communication
    - Needed more team building at my last store

Part Time

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

company cares about you & takes care of partners

Cons

customers can be really rude, understaffed a lot

Great College job but very hard work

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Murrieta, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Murrieta, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are good with a 401k, medical, stock plans, and college reimbursement makes this a wonderful starting job. And the store I work at we are all practically a family.

Cons

Very hard work which can be stressful at times. When your working a drive thru store at night your expected to fend for yourself as far as getting tasks done and making your own drinks. And the pay isn't that great.

Have more people working nights so we can get tasks done in the time you ask.

A company that knows how to treat their employees right

Current Employee - Barista in Victorville, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Victorville, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Heath and retirement benefits plus vacation time for part time employees, environment is fairly laid back and the work load is pretty easy.

Cons

Due to how busy it can be, work can be stressful at times but that's more because of the customers honestly. More people could always be used on the floor. Recently, there has been a push toward speed and profits than the customer connection that Starbucks was built upon. Hours can be tight at times, but if you work hard and are a good worker, it's not hard to get 30+ hours.

Sometimes workers can feel like they're not being cared about even when I know that's not the case. Sometimes it can feel like management is breathing down your neck, and as such it can be hard to relax.

Awesome company, the focus is currently shifting

Current Employee - Store Manager in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Corona, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great work/life balance
    - I love my DM; however I have heard and seen complete horror stories. He is great about listening and having realistic expectations of us. Always willing to listen.
    - Great benefits
    - They are very partner-centric (for now)

Cons

- The temperature of the company is changing, with returns less than they desired for last year it is becoming more cut-throat than it once was.
    - Like I said as a SM it is all about your DM and how they manage you. I had a friend transfer away and get fired within 3 months.

The company loves their employees and really shows that through their benefits packages.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They were always really flexible with availability, making it perfect for college students. They match your 401K contributions, making it grow really fast, and you only have to average out to 20 hours a week to qualify for their health/dental/optic/life insurance plans. Now with the addition of paying for your online degree at ASU, their benefits package really cannot be beat. On top of that, you grow very close with the people you work with, it's how I met my best friends. Plus...it's really fun to make up your own drinks. If you work really hard and be patient there's opportunities for advancement.

Cons

There are some members on the management team at the store level who have been with the company for over 15 years, and they get away with anything they want. There are some fantastic store managers out there, my second manager was by far the best manager I have ever had, and the third and last manager was by far the worst. There's a lack of consistency from store to store.

Allow more ops time for training purposes, and really take the time to weed out the managers who aren't helping to better your company. This mostly happens at the store management level.

This can be a fun place to be, but sometimes management is inconsistent and unreliable.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is easy to request time off (except for holiday blackout times) and it can be a fun place to work, depending on who your other partners are. You get tips weekly, which is super nice. Starbucks starts their baristas slightly above minimum wage and there are a lot of programs and incentives to take advantage of (but sometimes you have to have been there awhile in order to qualify).

Cons

Depending on the store you work at, it can be difficult to work your way up. You will probably have to work weekends. Customers can be incredibly rude, so if you take everything personal, you'll have to toughen up. Raises are jokes at 10-20 cents every 6 months.

Lead by example!! Hire ASMs, not incompetent outside hires who don't work nearly as hard.

Best Company Ever

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Temecula, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Temecula, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love the people (partners) and the work environment.

Cons

Starts at minimum wage but you get pay raises every six months.

It is by far one of the best jobs I have ever had. It is my "HAPPY PLACE"

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Palm Springs, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Palm Springs, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very Fun Atmosphere to work in....Easy to learn and adapt....lots of growth potential....

Cons

Having a Manager that does not take part in your store....whether it is pressure of not having an asst mgr or something personal.