Starbucks

5,329 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,570 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

70 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working for Starbucks was great job while I was getting my Bachelors degree.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starbucks has a high energy atmosphere that promotes making friends with coworkers and customers. Some of my customers were absolutely amazing. I learned how to network and how to make people happy while working here.

Cons

Crazy schedules and once in a while you get a customer that is the rudest person you have ever met.

Excellent customer service and fast paced environment

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Working as a team
    Flexible hours
    Excellent support from corporate

Cons

Sometimes the environment can be overwhelming to some. High turnover rate which makes team building difficult at times.

Fun atmosphere when you have a good crew and store manager. It's funny to think that a typical 9-5 job is serving coffee

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stocks, benefits, discounts with Starbucks and non-Starbucks company, flexible hours, free drink and food markout during work, coffee markout per week.

Cons

No sick day or personal day paid (only offered for management and non-retail), leadership from those hired out of company. It use to be that you worked your way up as a barista, so now all these bozo's are running the show and have no clue what they're doing. Hard to move up with company if you plan to move up as a district manager or corporate level.

Lead by example. If you expect your baristas to have open weekend availability than you should work weekends as well. Always support your team where you can, just like having a customer comes first attitude. It should be that way with your partners. District managers, support your store managers and do not always judge a store based on numbers/ transaction.

Great perks, fun, great part time job for college students

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

free coffee and food, weekly mark outs, free gifts, tips weekly depending on how many hours you work.

Cons

can feel kind of dead end-ish at times. very repetative, people can be really rude at times.

have shift superviors be more athorative.

being a barista is a lot of work

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

discounts, partner markouts, customer connection, get to make coffee

Cons

The level of cleaning that has to be done is a little much to get paid minimum wage. Also a lot of the Starbucks stores are almost always understaffed so you are running around stressed all the time.

The system for calling off work is not that great. I tried to call off once and I basically got harassed by my manager to come in sick.

Being a Shift Supervisor at Starbucks

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great benefits (medical, dental, vision, 401K, stock options, tips, etc.)
    -Great company culture

Cons

-hard work
    -Can have some bad store managers and district managers

Enjoyable Job

Former Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun, likeminded employees to work with. Managers were not bad. The job itself is easy, the only real hard part being the opening shift whe you have to wake up super early to get there at 5. I was in college when I worked here so sometimes that opening shift followed a late night "studying". Overall a good job though, I enjoyed it.

Cons

Opening at 5 am, not much else. Lunches were a little short, hard to get back in time.

Give employees a longer lunch and offer a few more opportunites for upward growth. It is easy to feel stuck.

Great Job to have while in School!

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pros are awesome! For starters you get unlimited free drinks while you are at work as well as 30 minutes before and after your shift. employees get 30% discount on all retail items in the store, and on special partner days you can get teen more!( holiday times) In addition, you get a free pound of coffee beans or a tea tin of your choice every week! I would give most of my coffee mark outs to family. On days you don't work and want coffee, you get 30% as well and on all food items. Starbucks works really well with school schedules and whenever you need days off! Also if you needed a day off most of the time you can get it, even if you let them know a week in advance which was great.

Cons

Honestly, it all depends on your manager. Some are better than others and they can either be hell to work with or amazing. Mine was a little of both! I have heard horror stories of how strict and emotionless some managers can be. Customers are sometimes a drag as well, you see the worst in people when they are waiting for their coffee, and you have to be courteous the whole time which is very hard when the customer is screaming at you. Sometimes you will be put under a lot of stress particularly if you are on bar making drinks. its a very stressful job when its busy, but nothing you can't handle.

Be more interactive with employees and don't just discipline all the time. List good and bad things, not just the bad.

Your fellow partners are the best part about this job!

Current Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's really a fun atmosphere to be in most of the time.
    The manager was great with working around my schedule. She also always gave me the days off that I requested, very understanding type of management.
    The barista's and shifts are all really cool, down to earth people. It's an over all fun job!

Cons

It can be very stressful, especially when out of product, but it always gets fixed.
    The customers can get crazy about their drinks.
    Having to clock in at 3:30am.

Barista

Current Employee - Barista in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free coffee/food. Great benefits, Good environment,

Cons

redundancy within job, cafe politics, few chances to advance