Starbucks

4,452 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,032 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights

120 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome!

Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista  in  San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista in San Leandro, CA

Pros

There is definitely team work everyday

Cons

I hate dumb picky customers

Move us around because we get tired too

Starbucks is a good company to work for, but it can be stressful, depending which department you work in.

Current Employee - Trainer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Trainer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Starbucks has an unbelievable benefits package for all of its employees. There is growth potential and longevity within the company, if you either want to work in a store or work your way to the HQ in Seattle.

Cons

The corporate side can be political and tough to deal with. I don't want to play that game, but sometimes, that what it takes to move up.

Good place

Current Employee - Barista  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA

Pros

They have flexible scheduling, the staff is very professional with practically no office drama.

Cons

Very minor hazing at my store, but management is cracking down on it. Not too big of a deal.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced job with flexible hours

Current Employee - Barista  in  Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Vacaville, CA

Pros

the people are amazing and every one delivers amazing customer service.amazing benefits 401K +, 30% off discount and free drinks while your working.

Cons

too many promos to keep up with, hard to get shifts covered, You have to pay for food, the match of your 401K is very low.

try more only because your on salary doesn't make it ok to disappear when you want.

My work experience

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great opportunities, hours, education on products! Benefits are awesome!!

Cons

Takes forever to advance. I have years experience in retail and management. You start from the bottom and have to work your way up.

Management was really nice, supportive, communicative, responsive

Learning and influential.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Richmond, CA

Pros

Benefits, social aspect, leadership, responsibility and flexible hours.

Cons

Bosses nagging over you to hit promos and goals. Corrupt leadership at times, time-off policies skewed depending on manager.

Treat your employees with the utmost respect and regard and they will do the same in return.

Not a place to grow.

Current Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor  in  Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Dublin, CA

Pros

Work - life balance, benefits.

Cons

Stressful job lately and a lot of pressure and tasks. They hire outside managers with no coffee and Starbucks customer service. You can't grow with this company anymore. I used to love the mentality of this company but lately is just about profit.

You need to compensate your people with a real salary. renting in this area is $1500/month/ 1bedroom. When you make $13/h, you need another job. Unfair.

Alright company, but depends on the market

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I enjoyed the people I was working with. I felt supported throughout my career, from training to supervision. My managers outlined the appropriate steps through my professional development. The benefits were highly desirable.

Cons

The biggest caveat is your experience depends on the market. I live in the east coast now and although I am not a partner anymore, I couldn't imagine working with the current staff of different stores I frequent who I felt are under-trained in customer service. I also do reckon that coffee knowledge has been de-prioritized.

Consider adding a bit more premium to the shift supervisor wages. It's much harder work than being a partner with much more responsibilities but the raise does not reflect it. There's no incentive to move up.

What Happened To You Starbucks?

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The pay is decent, but it's my partners who keep me going to work everyday. Starbucks Baristas work harder today, for less money than most retail employees. It's only coffee? Yeah, right!

Cons

Starbucks has clearly lost its soul. Something the company tried very hard to prevent from happening. As a partner, you read stories all the time about how great it is to work for the company. Even the vast majority of the reviews here paint a picture of a company that I worked for years ago. But NOT the Starbucks I work for now.

Overly aggressive sales targets, overly ambitious district managers, cowardly store managers who are afraid to speak-out about the realities in their stores. And I haven't even started with the customers. There was a time when my customers were the highlight of my job. But Starbucks customers have become the worst of the worst.

As a manager, you are expected to cram 60 hours worth of work into a 40 hour week. In California, a salaried manager is required to get paid overtime when their workday exceeds 8 hours. I personally disagree with this law, because I feel a salaried manager should be able to work as much as necessary to get the job done, without having to incur overtime (this is why we get bonuses). This is where the ironies begin. Starbucks policy is "time worked equals time paid". You are not allowed to work "off the clock". But you are also not allowed to have overtime. So managers are supposed to magically get everything done in their eight hours. That would be fine if the district managers didn't constantly throw new demands at the managers.

To say we don't work "off the clock" is a joke. I constantly take my store laptop home at night to complete the schedule because I can't get it done at my store. I also come to work early and stay late on many days. My fellow managers and I easily work fifty hours per week while only getting paid for forty. And there's nothing we can do to satisfy out district managers. Your store can be beating LY sales by a good margin for the year, but you are down to "target" by 5%. Oh no! We're gonna go bankrupt!!

It seems that more often than not, us Starbucks managers can't do anything right in the eyes of our perfect DM's. If your food sales are great, they need to be better. But when you order more food, and it doesn't sell, you are wasting too much food. When you schedule perfectly for the upcoming week, but an unexpected event affects your business either up or down, you didn't schedule correctly. If you hire three new partners to fill the void left by three who quit, you spent too much on training. It goes on and on.

I hate my job at Starbucks, and I can't wait to quit. Coming back to this company was the worst decision I ever made. The impression I had of Starbucks as a great company is gone forever. I thought my feelings were isolated to my district. But I spoke with manager in other districts who felt exactly the same way. Maybe it's regional, but I doubt it. This company is all about the almighty dollar, and who cares about the people who are making all of that money?

Lighten-up! You are only creating UN-inspired moments in the lives of your employees.

Great Benefits long hours

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Company has great benefits. Employees can choose to work a minimum of 20 hours per week to get the same benefits as a employee working 40 hours a week. Also, employees can have unlimited beverages and a free pound of coffee a week. Compensation depends on tenure and could be better.

Cons

Long hours and pressure to constantly meet changing goals. No clear concise goals because they change every promotion.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!