Starbucks Reviews

Reset
3.7
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

Retail Store Manager

Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in UC Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in UC Berkeley, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefit package including bonus, 401k, partner discount, free 1lbs coffee beans a month, stocks, etc.

Cons

Company turnover & job security

Shift Lead

Former Employee - Starbucks Shift Lead in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Starbucks Shift Lead in Vallejo, CA

Pros

Part time employees get health benefits; when I was there people were elegible for benefits of they worked 20 hrs a week.

Cons

It seemed as if in order to move up in the company, one had to be part of the management's in crowd, including the District Manager. I often had to skip my breaks due to understaffing and when I mentioned this to my boss he cut my hrs to under 20 hrs a week (where I lost my health benefits right after having my baby) as punishment and kept lowering them until I finally quit.

Advice to Management

Make sure to staff enough people to provide legally mandated breaks and work towards a less sexist atmosphere in the management circle as well as on the barista level. Also, try harder to show your appreciation of the staffs constant hard work; we bust our butts for our customers.

3. Starbucks Coffee

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Benicia, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Benicia, CA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule even if your in management

Cons

Not that good of pay

5. The longest nine years

Former Employee - Store Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, free coffee, other partners are great, usually easy to work another job if you have a good manager, ASU benefit (if you choose to use it, which there are many reasons why you wouldn't!)

Cons

Customers are unnecessarily particular because they are allowed to be by corporate policies, pay isn't comparable to the amount of work you do, very rarely do you feel appreciated by management, waking up at ungodly hours

Advice to Management

Invest in your partners and not so much micro-managing every waking second like a caffeinated robot

6. Can be fun at times, depends on coworkers

Former Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-The good and friendly coworkers, the good and friendly customers -tips -if you're looking for long term, part-time, low-skilled work, Starbucks has the best benefits -feeling of accomplishment after completing many beverages and being understaffed(depending on where you work, you may work way harder and faster at one Starbucks vs another Starbucks) -free drinks 30 mins before and after your shift

Cons

-first starting out was super stressful for me, first job, almost quit, stuck it out and stayed for quite a while -customers can be extremely harsh -shift supervisors can be harsh, depending on who you have for one, and they can be SUPER CRAZY, (some are super cool, though) -I almost quit because of one shift supervisor's craziness and rudeness, luckily she left before I pulled the plug -in the end, I ultimately left because of my rude, underappreciative and inflexible store manager, I felt way underappreciated and undervalued, I gave it my burns(from the coffee and hot water), sweat(sweat a lot from mopping hard), and cheer(if I was having a bad day, I'd still be a pleasant employee and provide great customer service). Don't expect to be a full-time barista!!!! Geared towards part-time employees.

Advice to Management

Make customers have their receipts or some other proof of purchase if they want a replacement drink or gift card, there were many instances of people trying to fake a purchase in order to get a new drink. Ummmm, don't let the shift supervisors sit back and make the baristas do all the work while the manager is not there. Provide more H.R. Resources and information for employees in case they experience awful treatment by shift supervisors or other coworkers. Foster a culture of less drama, and more positivity, don't let the managers and supervisors take out their neuroticism and/or bad day(s) on their subordinates. Ten cent raises are a huge insult, especially when you know your coworker made a larger raise because of the manager's unfair employee reviews. The efficency can be astounding! In terms of what the business is in business for...(to make money), executives and senior management have adopt great efficiency plans! Stores can be run super efficiently! Comes down to the employees though, offer capitalist incentives for stores to compete amongst each other. Not just a bonus for the manager, but a bonus for the employees too.

7. Pretty good

Current Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are generally nice. You meet a lot of people

Cons

Management can be a real pain to deal with

Advice to Management

Don't stick around for too long. You'll get tired

8. Great Company, Great Pay, Great Scheduling

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Scheduling - Flexible work hours - Tips are always great if you work hard - Amazing Coworkers - College Program

Cons

- Sometimes misunderstandings cause problems with orders - Belligerent customers - The fast paced environment can be overstimulating for some

Advice to Management

Ensure teams have supervisors who are fair and not petty. Keep the team of partners like a family, solving disagreements as they arrive. Avoid micromanagement.

9. Solid, dependable job

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some great people, store managers generally receptive to different opinions/ideas, small close-knit group of co-workers. Pay is pretty standard compared to most other customer service type positions. Opportunity to advance if you put in the time/work and show interest.

Cons

Customers can be very high maintenance and require you to swallow your tongue sometimes. Calling in (legitimately) sick or getting a shift covered can be difficult due to small staff. Can be difficult to push new promotions on products that you don't personally believe are good.

Advice to Management

Please continue to create better sales incentives for partners, such as the Frappuccinno sales contest from 2012

10. Great company to work for part-time

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor/Barista in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor/Barista in Oakland, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, health benefits for part-time employees, fun atmosphere, free beverages on your shift. You can easily transfer stores if you move.

Cons

Difficult hours (early and late shifts), pay is not the highest, can be difficult to receive enough hours if you are looking to work full-time.

Advice to Management

I think this is a great company to work for if you are in school. I wish that the corporate offices would look to hire internally (from the stores) for open positions. Starbucks stores are full of very talented and educated people who love Starbucks, but eventually want to "graduate" from service jobs.

11. Barista

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Starbucks (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment, great people, good hours.

Cons

No creativity, lots of dirty work.

Showing 184 of 7,433 reviews