Starbucks

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

277 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Barista

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee)
Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsYour co-workers become your family away from home. You get full benefits with just working 20 hours/week, weekly tips help pay for gas/grocery expenses. Great atmosphere. Your superiors are very patient when you are just starting out. Scheduling yourself days off is an easy and flexible process.

ConsSurprisingly long-ish learning curve; I became confident in all aspects of the barista position in about 2-3 months. Tips are very low compared to smaller coffee shops because they are shared with all the other baristas/shift supervisors based on how many hours you work. You only know your work schedule one week in advance, and it's usually inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from with the company. I've heard far too many horror stories about managers that were outside-hires who were terrible for their stores.

Best part-time job ever!

Barista (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat benefits, fantastic perks, partners are awesome, building relationships with customers is great, everyone around you can really make your day! It is a fan and fast paced environment to be in. Works well with school schedule.

ConsCustomers can sometimes get you down but it's just part of being in customer service. Getting up early to open is rough but you get used to it and have the rest of the day to do whatever you want!

Great place to work

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Prosculture, values, respect, ethics, top leadership

Conssuper super meeting heavy, compensation not that great

Love, love, love!!

Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for less than a year

ProsPeople are friendly and great co-workers. It's a company one can spend many years in, they value movement within company, so you can change positions and continue challenging yourself as you build your career.

ConsThe company is one that embraces change, so everyone has to operate in a way that 'goes with the flow' when organizational changes come down the pike.

Coming on 10 years

Associate Brand Manager (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

ProsUnlimited coffee. Large CO offers lots of different areas to move to.

ConsWork life balance attitude is not as great as they tout.

Enjoy the company but different organizations go through way too much change.

Talent Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture and values. Excellent Senior Leadership. Vision and values get muddy when you get to the vp and director level. Leaders can get in the way of the talent in the organization.

ConsChange happens fast and often. Prioritization is difficult given the ever changing landscape of the business. Plus with so much M&A in the last 2 years, it is hard to integrate and align in a quick and succinct manner to move change forward in a positive way.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus and slow down the pace of change. Stop using the culture as an excuse to not have process or programs that can support and effect positive change and work moving forward.

Great place to work

Barista (Current Employee)
Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly environment
Great management
benefits
work life balance

ConsRepetitive with some of the daily duties

Great People, Positive Environment,

Barista - Starbucks (Former Employee)
Issaquah, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsPrepares you for all future customer service jobs
Managers were caring and accommodating
Felt like a family
Benefits are great

ConsPay seemed to be different depending upon when you were hired meaning I made more than some of my co-workers who worked longer than me...

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to evaluate pay structures so that people are being compensated fairly for their time with the company

Not the company it used to be.

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
Redmond, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStock and 401K along with some of the best medical insurance out there.

ConsStarbucks has lost that small coffee house appeal. My last manager was abusive and no one seemed to care. I am now at a store that has a great manager, but it doesn't take back the painful year at store no one was happy at.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the barista's more. Find out what is really happening in the stores, and make sure the employees know that there won't be repercussions for telling the truth. The barista's are on front lines and see more than the DM's do.

Supply Chain Planner

Supply Chain Planner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of passionate, young professionals in the company. Very big on getting partners immersed about its coffee offerings. Work life balance has improved over the recent years. Overall, an interesting company to work for, as they have roles unique to the retail store business vs. other major consumer good companies.

ConsOperates similar to a start up where everyone has their own ideas of running things. There is some chaos due to constant change up of existing business processes. If you enjoy that type of environment, this may be a good company to work for.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks reviews and ratings in Seattle, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Starbucks CEO Howard D. Schultz. All 277 reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees.