Starbucks Reviews in Tennessee

4,624 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,137 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 421 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 122 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 129 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Love Working Here

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Starbucks is amazing. Great benefits, advancement opportunities, flexible schedules. Once you pass the shift supervisor level, pay is good too.

Cons

I wouldn't say this is a con but they do pay entry level and shift supervisors less than what I'd like to see based on the work required but they "get away" with this because of the benefits offered, including all health care, stock options and vacation time. Starbucks looks at the "total payment package" rather than just salary.

When a retail store actually upholds the culture and values of the company, it's amazing. Not every store can do that though and it's important to promote the SM's that can not only run the business but take care of the partners.

Amazing!

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Clarksville, TN
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Clarksville, TN

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible schedule, Always an opportunity to learn more about coffee, plenty of room to be creative, built good friendships with fellow partners.

Cons

Some days are busier than others but if you can handle being talked down to for putting too little cream in a cup of coffee you should be fine!

Make schedules yourself and not through an auto system, even though it was easy enough to switch schedules around with fellow partners.

Starbucks is a very good place to work. Especially, if you are just getting into the business or retail world.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They offer a good benefits package (health insurance, 401K, paid vacation). It is a fun atmosphere to work in, and is very fast paced. Which make the shifts seem like they aren't so long, because you are so busy. From a management perspective, I was a Shift Supervisor (which is the lowest level of management they have), I learned a variety of useful skills which taught me the details of how a successful business runs. I was able to practice my leadership and deployment skills, conflict resolution, quality control and customer satisfaction. I also learned how to properly take inventory and then place the weekly "Seattle Order" (which is just what they call the weekly truck that comes with the ordered store supplies. Also you will receive weekly tip money if you are a barista or shift supervisor.

Cons

The work schedule can be difficult. I never had a set schedule. I would open a few days, close a few days, and work mid shifts all in the same week. So, you really have to work at having a good work-life balance. If you are in any sort of management role, you will more than likely be called in to work on any off day that you had scheduled, because there is almost always someone who doesn't show up for work. Also, for all of the work and extremely high expectations upper management has, they do not pay their employees who work in the retail stores enough to put up with as much as they do.

Starbucks should not have changed their mission statement, logo, and values system. I saw Starbucks go from being satisfied being number one in their specialty area of the market, to becoming extremely greedy, selfish and money hungry. This caused Starbucks to lose a lot of their "die-hard" clientele because they felt like Starbucks sold out. In many ways, that is exactly what happened. All of the sudden Starbucks is concerned about selling breakfast sandwiches, instant coffee (VIA), and fruit smoothies. The VIA promo push was an extremely bad idea. There were times when our store would sell a single box of VIA all day, and I would end up having to buy some just so I could report that we had sold some. One more thing, Starbucks needs to pay their retail store employees more money. They work very hard and are the reason for the success of Starbucks. They should be paid accordingly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard, cool, & fun

Current Employee - Barista  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Barista in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome benefits, although I never took advantage of them because I feared getting tied too closely to the company. The store I work at is VERY proactive and my general manager is very close to the regional manager, and goes by all the right rules. The training I had and the people I work with all make you feel as if their job is very important. Everyone works very very hard, even if they bash it at times. They have regular evaluations/raises. I even get discounts on random things through starbuckspartnerdiscounts.com (most of them are ads, but I do manage to get 40% off movie tickets, which I have taken advantage of.

Cons

Customers can be absurd. Its annoying when people order off of the "secret" menu and don't know the recipe and treat you like an idiot for not knowing it. There are a ton of things to memorize, and it can be overwhelming, especially for someone who doesn't even like coffee (like me). The fast paced environment can be overwhelming, especially if you feel like crap. People at my store make you feel like such a lazy bum if you're not working or don't understand something. Basically, YOU ARE MOVING 24/7 and if you're sick or sad, it doesn't matter, you work the same as if its the best day ever and you're getting paid minimum wage for it. Its pretty crazy for how hard you're working.

Cooperate could do a better job about being straight forward with their promotions. A lot of people freak out because they think that Starbucks will pay 100% for your college. Thats not the case AT ALL. I also wish base pay was higher..

Good

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Nashville, TN

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, Free coffee, discounts on merch, 401k, tuition reimbursement. Great opportunity to move up the ladder.

Cons

Relatively low pay for the work. Most local coffee shop baristas make a lot more than baristas at Starbucks. Some managers schedule weird shifts like 4-6 hr shifts which means if you're trying to work full time you have to work 7 days a week.
    No overtime allowed.

Little pay, turbulent shifts= stress ball of disaster & caffeine dependency.

Current Employee - Barista  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Barista in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fellow employees that are passionate about creating quality experiences, & improving the community one cup at a time.

Cons

Customer barista abuse. Early mornings. Understaffing. Terrible pay. Difficult to achieve merit based increases. Even more difficult as shift to move up chain of command.

Increase merit based raise amount. Actually promote & encourage those that actually 'exceedingly exceed expectations' & provide quality Starbucks experiences, not your lazy friends or store managers who have never work the floor a day in their life.

Great company and culture with little follow-up.

Former Employee - Store Manager Starbucks  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager Starbucks in Memphis, TN

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits. Great people. I started as a barista and worked my way up to store manager within a year. I was with the company for 7 years so that speaks for itself.

Cons

Too much required for too little pay. Starting baristas out at $8 is crap! Especially given the tight labor restrictions. Expectations from management very high with little tools and resources. So the hours worked by myself were well over 45. Not enough labor!!!

Stop talking and start doing.

great company to work for

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Alcoa, TN
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Alcoa, TN

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

the benefits are absolutley amazing, it's a very simple job to start out at and work your way up

Cons

the pay could be way better

there should be a better minimum wage starting rate

Training lacked and Poor Pay

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits for both full time and part time employees, also if you need a part time job, its easy to work the early shift and be done by 10-11 am and have the whole rest of the day for other things!

Cons

Pay sucks. Horrible. And they do not train you well. They push sales on coffee beans, but most of your customers are coming to get coffee from you and not make their own - really annoying to push that on them.

Starbucks is a great company to work for as a young adult or an older person looking to supplement another income.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the company as a whole values its employees. Part-time employees are eligible for full benefits as well as a pound of coffee a week and accrued stocks.

Cons

Low starting wage - raise when promoted to shift was not significant, no additional compensation for going through certification processes for coffee master and barista trainer (the barista trainer role actually results in less income because tips aren't received),

Include a monetary incentive for those who are invested in the company enough that they choose to become a coffee master and/or barista trainer.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!