Starbucks

Updated February 25, 2015
3.7

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

296 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Fun job, good benefits for part time

Former Employee - Barista in Dallas, TX

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tight-knit, helpful coworkers (usually)
    Good benefits for part time workers
    Somewhat flexible scheduling

Cons

Pay could be better
    Sometimes stressful during rush times

Great job, but moving up takes time

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Great benefits, awesome people to work with, great community involvement, huge network of stores to connect with.

Cons

Customers have a great sense of entitlement regardless of right or wrong, management stifles the development of partners because of staffing at the entry level.

Overall a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Houston, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits.

Awesome customers.

Flexible hours.

Cons

Constant ridiculous promotion that I have to push even though 80% of my customers I see everyday dont care and wont buy it...but I'm supposed to ask them every since day...:would you like your treat receipt?" "would you like any breakfast with that?" Even though I've known and seen them pretty much every day for 3 years and know that they don't want a treat receipt or breakfast.

Insurance is amazing but after paying for said insurance my checks are always less than $150 (insurance for 3 people). It works just fine for me but I can't see anyone who has to live on their own and support themselves to be able to live on such a low wage.

"Veteran' Baristas and supervisors should make more money hourly, people tend to be happier and more friendly to customers when they know they have food in their fridge or even that they feel appreciated by the company that they work for.

Very stressful but benefits are wonderful.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Conroe, TX

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are fantastic especially since they are available for part-time employees.
    Free coffee is great!!! The people are good as well.

Cons

Very busy and stressful. Sometimes they ask you to do things that are simply impossible especially when you work at a slower store.

Some of the methods are not very good.

Good place to work part time.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Plano, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits like free weekly whole bean markout, daily food markout, 30% discount on everything, 401k and med benefits for part-time, fun environment, diverse staff, flexible hours, fairly easy to advance in company.

Cons

Management can be hit or miss. I've had both amazing and terrible store managers, it's just luck of the draw. Management above the store manager (District Manager and Corporate) frequently set unrealistic expectations on the store level. While hours are flexible, being up at 4 AM to open or working until 10, 11, 12 PM to close can take it's toll on you quickly. Finally, as with any retail or food-service job, customer interactions can make or break your shift. I've met some truly incredible people, and incredibly rude/difficult people.

Set realistic expectations, show a little more empathy towards the lower ranking employees, and if you're going to be setting such high expectations, the you should compensate accordingly.

Always improving, and great corporate culture.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Teaches you to build good interpersonal relationships.

Cons

Mostly relies on muscle memory, if you're not cautious and learn why things are the way they are.

Keep your partners close to you! We like that.

Barista for Starbucks will certainly open your eyes to how badly people need coffee!

Former Employee - Barista in Dallas, TX

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy hours, loved my co-workers. We were given a free pound of coffee every week to take home to our families. Discounted or sometimes free food.

Cons

Had private shoppers coming in way too often. I understand the need but its was almost like our store had 1 coming in a week and they were very picky. If the temperature on a latte was 2 degrees off somebody was getting fired!

I loved Meiissa (our regional manager)

Decent company with great benefits

Former Employee - Barista in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Barista in Austin, TX

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starbucks provides a good experience and great benefits packages for its employees. The store I worked at was an extremely high-volume store, which kept me busy and made the time pass really quickly. They also provide great training and education opportunities.

Cons

The work can be monotonous. Working for a corporate coffeeshop doesn't allow for the flexibility that an individual/local shop does, since there are tons of rules (i.e. dress code, beverage presentation, etc.)

Good

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Benefits were good so were bonus's. Free coffee is probably my favorite part. I Love Starbucks drinks

Cons

The Hours were crazy long. Upper management seemed to be more destructive rather than constructive. Managers are never heard by anyone but the DM's and if the DM is an idiot, then your screwed.

Remember what it's like to be the barista

Great company, but work life balance not achievable for everyone.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This job was a tremendous development opportunity. I was able to learn a lot about how to lead a team to achieve goals and to manage the financial aspects of a business. Great benefits. Great people.

Cons

Store manager's work is exhausting and never ends. You can expect to spend 50-60 hours a week in your store, and you are always on call. Many people are great at managing this, but I had a hard time moving my brain from work mode to time-with-the-wife mode.

This is going to seem crazy, but I think that store managers would benefit from a 40 hour week, with more flexibility in where there time is spent. Instead of insisting that they work on the floor as a shift supervisor 35 hours/week, I think it would be of more benefit to the customers and business to cut that time in half and focus more on observation, development, problem solving, recruitment, and inspiring our teams!