Starbucks

Starbucks Reviews in Toronto, ON Canada

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights
85 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very physically demanding, and yet rewarding.

Lead Barista (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsIt was a great experience and I personally was able to discover and develop diverse interpersonal qualities which I would have never known working any other places. being a true team worker is not easy, but definitely worth the effort. I personally enjoyed developing relationships with regular customers. yes, it is a part of starbucks' strategy to get people to continue to come, but still it really is just great to get to know people.

ConsWorking at starbucks as a barista does not only ask brewing coffee. The job includes lots of cleaning tasks including bathrooms, floor, mop, bussing condiment stands, wiping tables, etc. It could be difficult unless you learn to find joy in a way.

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked under 2 managers, and I think the work environment quality hugely depends on the management. For their end, finding a nice responsible team worker is important which will make all the baristas life easy, but also giving some trust and not micro-managing would help the atmosphere less tense. I would've loved to continue to work for as long as I could, but it was just impossible to live off a minimum wage. other than that, I would've loved to stay.

"Partner" experience varies from store to store

Barista (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsSide benefits are great:
    - Free drinks half hour before, on breaks and after work
    - Weekly partner "markout" (take-home) coffee and tea benefit once per week
    - Global 30%-40% discount at all company operated brands
    - Coupons when a new promotion cycle starts (Summer 1, Summer 2)
    - Shifts are closer to 8 hours rather then 5-6 hour shifts at other part time places
    - Additional paid breaks that other part time places don't give
    - Paycheck deductible full coverage health insurance plan if you work 30+ hours a week
    - Able to work at multiple stores for extra hours
    - Tuition program - have not used yet but the benefit ($500/semester) is doubled compared to my previous job
    - Receive a portion of pooled tips weekly - If the store gets roughly $150 tips for the week and you work 35-40 hrs of the 450 labor hours you get $10-15 in cash.

ConsMinimum wage to start, maybe $1-2 per hour extra if you stay awhile. Entirely dependent on reviews from your Store Manager (SM)
    Standing for extended periods
    Cleaning the floors including lifting heavy mats as a pre-closer (task I hate the most)
    Cracked, peeling hands due to constant hand washing and dish washing
    Abusive and impatient customers who order over complicated drinks - if your in a hurry keep it simple!
    Deep cleaning in order to get the best score on the QASA (Quality Assurance Starbucks Audit)
    Repetitive tasks - Register, Making drinks, cleaning
    Business levels can be very erratic
    Some stores have to clean washrooms and drive thru, mall locations always have a line of no less than 15 people
    Raises gaps might not be maintained when minimum wage periodically increases - tenured employees end up making the same as new hires

Not the best job, but It's flexibility makes it hard to let go.

Barista Trainer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsPhantom system (get your shift covered by any employee from any store)
    Free drinks on shift and weekly coffee or tea markouts
    Flexible hours

ConsNo tattoos visible and only 2 piercings per ear. I would say at least 50% of employees are affected by this.
    Can get very stressful, hot and tiring during busy rushes.
    Store hours. Opening shifts at 5:30 am and closing shifts at 10:45 can mean you get days when your're up late and have to be in again very early.
    In my store at least the "employee area" is one small desk crammed beside a water heater. Also where any meetings take place, or where Supervisors have to work so if it's full, you're out of luck

Advice to Senior ManagementBarista appreciation is not very strong. It's a stressful job and more support would be nice.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, i gained a lot of experience in customer service, inventory control and scheduling.

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Burlington, ON (Canada)

Pros- upbeat environment
    - good employee dynamics
    - gain experience in multiple areas: scheduling, training, employee reviews, inventory, cash handling
    - a lot of room for growth both within a store (barista> shift supervisor> assistant store manager> manager) and within the company (can move to head office)

Cons- very fast paced environment and customers have high expectations (expect their to never be a line and have their drink in 3 seconds - which is not realistic)
    - many employees are high school students - only working for spending money and therefor (at least at my location) did not take the job seriously (skipped shifts and gossiped)
    - Store managers are usually promoted internally (which is good for growth/promotion) but lack proper management and employee engagement skills and training (no formal business, sales or human resource education)

Advice to Senior Management- for the amount of work that a shift supervisor conducts per day, the compensation is very low
    - store managers need better training prior to being given their own store (do not know how to properly run a location, deal with employee problems or increase sales)

The longer you spend there the more you realize how much is wrong.

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros-Great health benefits offered with very few hours required per week to maintain them
    -Up to five free drinks a day
    -Some of your partners are amazing people
    -There are numerous opportunities to educate yourself on coffee culture

Cons-They promote growth within the company but managers play favourites and in reality there are fewer opportunities for upper management than they state
    -Starbucks hires externally to save money, so often Assistant Managers, Managers and DMs are completely clueless as to the detailed workings of the company that Baristas and Shift Supervisors are left to deal with
    -Staff is often split between a group of teenagers paying their way through school that don't care about the job and just need a paycheck and the lifers that refuse to leave. The younger partners were rude, irresponsible, immature, and tended to 'clique' together as if it was highschool. The partners who had been there for years were even ruder, un-supportive, didn't like when newer staff were hired- they would gossip about them, teach them how to do things incorrectly when management wasn't around, and would ignore them when they were asked important questions (it was a lot like a hazing process)
    -Customers are often arrogant and disrespectful and treat you poorly

Advice to Senior Management-Hire qualified staff who really want to be there rather than whoever is available

great place for students, part-timers - horrible if you want to move up

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosthe people, the benefits, the store-level culture are all great. part timers who need flexibility or a reliable set of hours week to week will thrive here. most managers are great in terms of helping you succeed and develop

Conswhere it starts to get crappy is when you get into mid-upper level management. district managers and so forth are unbelievably detached from the realities on the store level. they pick and prod based on mandates from head office but do little to help solve inefficiencies and other barriers present at the stores.

STOP HIRING EXTERNALS. there are so many internal partners ready and willing to move up, but instead they choose to hire a bloke from another retailer who knows NOTHING about the way we work, give them a month to train and expect them to pick it up just like everybody else. it's an extreme disservice to your staff when the best advice ever given to those who want to move up is: quit, work somewhere else, and apply for the position you want.

Advice to Senior Managementfor a company that places so much importance on its culture, starbucks management wholly undervalues the partners that make this culture possible. provide better incentives, better work/life balance and most of all - clear and attainable paths to moving up to those who want this as a career. this company has an amazing group of people working for them, and it's about time they appreciated this fact.

Great place

Barista (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFree coffee lots of coffee tastings good training great culture

ConsManagement with no experience not enough staff pay could be better for amount of work

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people and focus on the coffee

Barista

Barista (Current Employee) Thornhill, ON (Canada)

Pros- free coffee
    - flexible hours
    - pretty chill/easy for a minimum wage job

Cons- have to be super peppy all the time
    - customer is always right...even when they're not (but this is like any customer-service business)

Advice to Senior Management- listen to your employees/partners
    - don't be so arrogant

Great Corporate Culture

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsA pleasant place to work at. Coworkers are always cheerful, genuine, and interesting people.

ConsVery top-down. Stores are chains, not franchises. This ensures beverage quality and consistency but also a fairly big bureaucracy.

Bad!

Cashier (Current Employee) Milton, ON (Canada)

ProsNone, nada, cero, nothing, less than nothing.

ConsEverything! hours, salary, a lot of work.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!