Starbucks

5,373 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,591 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 131 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 140 reviews)

More Highlights

90 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fast paced emvironment

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Benefits are great! Co-workers are awesome.

Cons

Vet high paced, strenuous job for little pay.

Not all stripes can be run exactly the same (playbook). Allow some flexibility in the playbook.

Love working for this company

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and caring company

Cons

Holiday hours are a little extreme, however it is part of the job

Great company... if you are hourly.

Current Employee - Former Manager/Current Barista in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Former Manager/Current Barista in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Amazing benefits that rival many major companies which is extended out to part-time partners. Flexible schedules for hourly partners. Tons of resources available that fall outside of the work realm.

Cons

Hard to maintain a work-life balance for salary management. Goals can be unobtainable and see little support from upper management. Many resources available for personal growth; however, availability of positions is very slim. Training for seems almost nonexistent. No time our follow up is given.

Give time to salaried managers to grow your team.

great first job

Former Employee - Barista in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Barista in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fun working environment, free coffee, good benefits

Cons

changing schedules, very busy, physical job that included mopping floors and picking up tables and chairs

I thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to inspire and nurture the human spirit, every day!

Current Employee - Barista in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best part are the connection with customers - getting to know them, hear their story, and to be the highlight of their day.

Cons

The starting pay for a Barista isn't great, and there are limited immediate advancement opportunities within the retail store environment.

It's a good job to work, but it wasn't for me.

Current Employee - Barista in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Close work with people, get to have good conversation with customers, free drinks and discounts for when you aren't working, get a free pound of coffee/weekly, insurance, tips.

Cons

Some people are rude (as all customer service jobs require this), many employees with Starbucks tend to be more negative (had this experience with MANY Starbucks, not just the one I worked at), there's a LOT to remember for the job.

No advice. I think my management did a pretty good job considering.

Good job if you like free coffee and need insurance but...

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Starbucks (more than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, 401k, Insurance, worked with some great people and met some great customers.

Cons

No sick time, come on this is food handling business and you expect people to show up sick? Or find someone to take their shift, which you can do from outside your store if you have connections or use Facebook pages for that but it's not easy to do on short notice. I mean you wake up at 4am to be there to open at 5 running a fever... Who knows they're going to be sick when they wake up? Once, I was in the emergency room, unable to breathe yet alone talk, with pneumonia, and had my son text my store manager to tell her there was no way I could work the next day. I did have an understanding supervisor who took it upon himself to find someone to cover my shifts but the manager got upset with him for doing that. In the same vein, if someone doesn't find someone to cover their shift and they're a no show, you're out of luck and have to deal shorthanded.
    Customers are some of the worst I've ever dealt with in this industry. Many are self righteous and just plain rude. But honestly, I had enough good regulars who I really liked serving that I could just about overlook the others.
    But what really killed the job for me was the management turnover in my store, it became a joke it was where managers went to end their careers. I didn't have a big problem until my 3rd mgr in a year, "Brain Washed by the Corporate Spiel" Starbucks is a good company to work for, in general, but by no means is it "THE BEST COMPANY TO WORK FOR! " as told to me by a 10 years with experience Starbucks (one year as a mgr) manager. Yep, the only company she'd ever worked for and this was told to me when I couldn't spew the corporate spiel verbatim in regards to how training was done during a heated discussion over why all the other partners came to me when they had issues and not to her. My guess is 1) I had 20 yrs experience in the restaurant industry (long story but there for the benefits) 2) I'd work with them for quit a while so they trusted me to act as a go between, as a supervisor and 3) I didn't make them feel intimidated. I put my two week notice in right then. In my case, I found insurance thanks to the government marketplace, no job is worth losing your soul over.
    My advice? Don't apply for a position you are grossly over qualified for, just for benefits. And remember, as with all corporate jobs the bottom line is still more important to them. If you don't make sales, hours get cut. If you work hard, you'll get to keep your hours but get paid less than your worth and do the job of 3X the people.
    Starbucks is trying to counter some negative publicity they got recently by trying to improve some of their scheduling practices and changing up their dress codes a bit but it won't change the fact you won't be overworked and expected to help customers as well as maintain health code standards if they continue to cut staffing.

This is more for corporate, get out there and actually see what's being done in your stores. Get your heads out of the sand and come to the realization that sometimes the customer isn't right and get some better training modules or give managers the means to allow trainers the time to train while not also trying to run the floor and include some basic how to work a job training time because there are a lot of kids working who've never had a job and if all you do I'd teach them how to pull a shot, steam some milk and pump some syrup that's all they'll know to do . Oh, and playbook? I get standardization but what might work in one store may not work in another based on the particular focus of the products being sold. And give management more hours to work with. Letting partners show their individuality by allowing them to show their tattoos isn't going to prevent burn out.

Best company to work for!

Current Employee - Starbucks Shift Lead in Purcellville, VA
    Current Employee - Starbucks Shift Lead in Purcellville, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I can transfer anywhere around the country if the need ever arises!

Cons

You must have open availability to work all shifts.

Opportunities For Growth

Current Employee - Barista in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Barista in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starbucks is evolving into a company that focuses on its employees and their satisfaction with the job. The company is also taking active measure to ensure that each employee is getting the benefits that they deserve. You get to meet awesome people which is an added bonus.

Cons

It's customer service, and we all know what a challenge that can be. Salary for the workload isn't amazing, considering other places (however benefits are better as far as I'm aware).

The education plan Starbucks has incorporated is excellent for those who are still working on an undergraduate degree, however a lot of employees who already have a bachelors would like to see a program that benefits them to continue their education, myself included. Also, being able to express your individuality while maintaining a professional demeanor is very crucial to job satisfaction. I would like to see the company encourage their employees to express themselves at work.

Organized and Interesting

Current Employee - Barista in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Barista in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Organized training, quality products that are easy to support, great relationships with franchisee company

Cons

Franchise locations get lower pay