Starbucks Reviews

Reset
3.7
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

1. All around great company

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in McLean, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, looks out for employees best interests, yearly raise between 2-5%, decent hours, CEO always looking towards the future

Cons

As a supervisor, you are required to be available for around 80% of your store's hours. This means working between 20-40 hr/week. Also, each store manager is very different and has enough flexibility to run their store differently than others as in inconsistent scheduling, corrective actions, breaks, etc.

The most fun ive ever had while getting paid!

Current Employee - Barista in Stafford, VA
    Current Employee - Barista in Stafford, VA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company really takes care of there employees.

Cons

Management can be kinda bad, depending on what district your in.

3. Great Support

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

Store Manager and District Managers have been great support, encouraging, and helpful as I continue to develop and advance my career!

Cons

Like most retail, the hours can really intrude on your personal life.

5. Shifter supervisor

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

Works around your schedule, recently increased pay, and finally becoming tech savy for boh.

Cons

Sometimes not enough hours given to get stuff done.

Advice to Management

Gives us back our old freezers! You sent us smaller freezers but more food to sell. Stupid.

6. Your experience depends on location, and your boss

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best perks of minimum wage jobs. Company is trying to be better. You get free drinks and a weekly 1lb of coffee.

Cons

Your schedule will be all over the place. If your store is busy, the scheduling can be even worse, and it will likely wear you out. Management gets raises for running a "lean" store, meaning, less people to help out and more money in their pocket for your hard work. Remember that when you try to ask for having 1 consistent day off each week or when you need your shift moved around for a family emergency, or when you want to use your 3 days of vacation after working 2 1/2 years and they say "it's not a good time" even though they just went on vacation.

Advice to Management

Your baristas have it harder than you, and barely make a living. Guide us, give us criticism to build us, not to break us down, praise us when we earn it, and don't make work the last place we want to be because of YOU when we have so many other things to dislike about the job.

Fantastic company

Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Starbucks is a great place to work. The benefits they offer are absolutely unparalleled anywhere in America. The upper management understands the marketplace they compete in, as well as the people working for them. I only left because as I get older, getting up at 4AM just wasn't working for me anymore.

Cons

While recent changes in direction might lead to a change, Starbucks middle management leaves something to be desired. In a decade of working with them my store and district level managers were terrible more often than not. I had a total of 23 managers during my time there(resultant from moving around the country a lot) and can only count 5 that truly excelled at their jobs.

Advice to Management

Honestly, keep doing what you are doing. If you work to cut out the Store and district managers who show up only to collect a paycheck, you are moving in the right direction.

8. Shift Supervisor at Univeristy store

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Radford, VA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Radford, VA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a great learning experience as a entry-level manager. You work not only as a barista, but are ultimately in charge of the employees and store during your shift. It's also a job for a potential promotion.

Cons

Working at Starbucks that is owned by a Dining Services company for a university is terrible. You do not get the same benefits that a normal Starbucks employee would get. The pay is much lower, you cannot get tips and you don't get things like free coffee.

Advice to Management

I would like to think that every Starbucks provides the same pay, benefits and perks to all of it's employees regardless of what sort of situation the store is in.

9. Great Company!

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Salem, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Salem, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great job if you are looking for a fast pace enviornment where you can feel chanlenged. Teaches you great leadership skills and teaches you how to work effectivly with others. If you can find the right store, the right people, and the right manager it has the potental to be one of the best jobs you could ever hope for.

Cons

If you don't find all those things it is a nightmare, unorganized, overworked employees, a dirty store. Like I said it is a fast past enviornment and things can go wrong within minutes but with the right team and the right managment it can run like a well oiled machine.

10. Shift Supervisor

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

really good benefits, scheduling is very good also dress code improved.also the base pay a little over minimum wage too

Cons

No room for growth in this area, customers range from really great to horrible not enough hours for partners

Advice to Management

always look to develop talent . better training also helps the cause too. other than that its a good job

11. Great Part-time Job to Have

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work schedule can be flexible depending on if you prefer to work in the early morning, mid-day or evening. The work can be stressful but it isn't difficult. The pay is fairly good for a food service job. You get paid a bi-weekly paycheck plus tips once a week. The benefits are great for a part-time job; 20 hours a week makes you eligible for health insurance and after a certain period, 401(k), etc. Employees also get a free pound of coffee a week, or tea, k-cups, etc. I don't recommend making a career out of being a barista, but for a student, a second part-time job, or perhaps a retired person looking for a little extra income, it's great.

Cons

The job can be tedious and boring at times. The company is constantly introducing new products so you consistently have to adapt to the changes. Most stores are open 365 days a year so it can be difficult to get time off on holidays and weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep showing your employees that you value them! For such a large company I feel that from top to bottom, Starbucks communicates that they value their employees through their benefits packages.

Showing 118 of 6,988 reviews