Starbucks

Starbucks Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • Great benefits even for part time employees and a supportive work atmosphere(in 394 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week(in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field(in 107 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners(in 111 reviews)

82 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very fulfilling and actually fun

Barista (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsTeam management and very helpful management

Consdemanding customers making it seem like there is nothing you can do to satisfy them

Advice to Senior Managementwork on providing tips to barristas on how to work with impossible customers

The worst working environment i have ever experienced in y life

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Ashburn, VA

ProsThe best thing is a free coffee while you are working and marks out every week

ConsIts too many responsibilities to do for the money they pay

Great for a high schooler. Thanks about it.

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsCant really think of anything thats a Pro except for the fact that you will get a paycheck and they allow direct deposit.

ConsManagement is always inconsistent. No one cares about time management. If you are a barista, you will be blamed for everything that goes wrong. Ive worked at several locations, essentially all the supervisors and managers are bullies.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou wont take the advice simply because you dont get paid enough to care.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for; Cares about employees on all levels

Store Manager (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsGreat benefits; amazing work culture

Conslong hours if your store has staffing issues

Great Place to get Started

Barista (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGood benefits and low barrier of entry.

ConsLack of upward mobility in company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire Managers who have never worked as a Barrista. .

Good Manager = Happy Employees

Barista - Starbucks (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI worked at the Starbucks on Dupont Circle in D.C. The manager is great. It's one of the busiest Starbucks on the east coast, which means more tips accumulate over time than a less busy Starbucks. Sometimes 10 minute breaks are forgotten, but all you have to do is ask/reminder your shift supervisor.

ConsOn your feet for 8 hours/day. A range of customers come in, some in better moods than others. Try not to take anything personally.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

High paced, social and fun.

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsHigh connectivity with partners and customers. Partner benefits are great.

ConsYou are on your feet all day. This is not for the faint of heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold off on the unnecessary micromanaging, and please be prepared to give a reason as to why you want things a certain way.

During my time at Starbucks this companies culture was second to none.

District Manager (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe ability to move up in the company was achievable and the path was clear. Great benefits even for part time employees and a supportive work atmosphere.

ConsHolding on to part time and entry level salary employees was difficult. Wages are to small for a metropolitan area.

A wonderful company to work for

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsBenefits. Free coffee! Training opportunities. Stock. Employee relationships. Great product that you can believe in. Community involvement. Multiple locations means transferring is very easy.

ConsToo many locations.Having to always say the customer is right (even if they are not). Having to deal with concerns that senior management is not being honest about plans for the company (lay-offs).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make promises that cannot be kept.

I love coming in to work and connecting with the customers every day!

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee) Sterling, VA

Prosyou make a bit above minimum wage starting out, but the benefits are fantastic. free beverages 30 minutes before, during and 30 minutes after your shift! also partner discounts and health care benefits at only 20 hours a week!

Constheres sometimes a press to take more hours than you can, and sometimes its hard to get hours, it will vary by your district, and the manager in your store.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work! i love the effort we all make!

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!