Starbucks Reviews in Washington, DC

4,478 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,047 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights

89 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Made espresso and other coffee drinks for people while trying to provide an excellent customer experience

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Reston, VA

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They provide a box of tea or one pound bag of coffee per week. Not sure if they do currently, but at the time allowed people who worked a minimum of 20 hours to be eligible for benefits. Also give employees stock options. Both of the stores I worked in had good atmospheres and good customer rapport.

Cons

It can get very fast paced and the customers can be very demanding. Also, could not call off work if you did not have anyone to cover your shift. In that way it was a bit inflexible.

My last manager was part of the reason I left. He wanted people to constantly maintain a level of energy and excitement that was somewhat unrealistic. I had been with the company for four years and always showed up to do my job, even on days that I had other matters to take care of.

Great Wxoerince

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good experience, meet a lot of cool people

Cons

Not paid enough for work load

Fast paced, stressful, and unrewarding.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are phenomenal and there's something to be said about a source of free coffee.

Cons

Everything else. The customers are disrespectful and treat you as a utility rather than a human. The pay is insultingly low. You will work with a collection of degenerate stoners and drunkies who work at Starbucks simply because they have nowhere else to go. Extremely fast-paced and stressful at busy stores with little to no recognition nor reward. Even with tips, the pay simply does not match the workload and does not make this a good choice for anyone looking for more than a temporary job in school.

The pay has to go up. Store prices have increased and cost-of-living around the country is on the rise. Working hard for 40+ hours a week after 2 years should not keep you so poverty stricken that you struggle to make rent. A pat on the back does not make up for a deficit in the real reason we all hold jobs.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shift Supervisor

Former Employee - Starbucks Shift Lead  in  Stafford, VA
    Former Employee - Starbucks Shift Lead in Stafford, VA

I worked at Starbucks full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are great with working with your schedule if you have school or children.

Cons

The expectations for the shift supervisor and the pay do not match. They pay is not enough, specially if you have to close or open.

A shift differential would be nice since leads aren't getting any cut of the tips.

Good Company

Current Employee - Barista  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Barista in Washington, DC

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits
    Friendly partners
    Fast paced enviornment

Cons

Unpredictable hours
    Hard to make a living wage
    Can get exhausting if introverted

Better compensation would make this work nirvana. I LOVE this company and am actually depressed about having to leave if I can't move up soon.

It was a great experience that allowed me to strengthen my customer service skills.

Former Employee - Barista  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Barista in Washington, DC

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for.
    Wonderful atmosphere
    Fast paced work load with some downtime for cleaning

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company

Keep up the good work and make sure to spread the word about the benefits of working at Starbucks

Great for learning experience with a large corporation and fast paced environment.

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Rockville, MD

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great perks - free pound of coffee or box of tea each week. Worked at 2 stores and liked all employees. Helped build my work ethic.

Cons

It's a tiring job, definitely not a job for those who aren't good with people.

I think employees should always be allowed to have free drinks, not just an hour before, during and an hour after your shifts.

Amazing Opportunities

Current Employee - Barista  in  Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Barista in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing new college benefits, competitive pay, 6 month raises, fun environment

Cons

customers can be rude, must be able to work fast undner pressure and resolve problems relatively fast

train your management before promoting them... :)

Higher management

Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager  in  Olney, MD
    Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Olney, MD

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Customers are awesome! Quite like family! As well as your partners are like family.

Cons

It takes years to move up in this company. And when you do watch out. They will be on your back like white on rice. If you are high on labor your butt is on the line. Starbuck's hates overtime. Anyone who goes over gets yelled at and written up. This company does not care about it's partners like they claim. Everyone including long time partners are expendable! Watch out! you could be next!

Remember who has put blood, sweat and tears into their job! Those with awesome reviews should be taken into consideration not thrown out with the trash!

Pretty good.

Current Employee - Barista  in  Quantico, VA
    Current Employee - Barista in Quantico, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work is great when you have a good team to work with. Customers, in my experience, have been absolutely fantastic. If I wasn't in love with them so much I would have quit due to my current experience of team members.

Cons

When you work with a sour team, work can get stressful and unbearable.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!