Starbucks

Updated Apr 3, 2014

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

65 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I love working at Starbucks!

Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsPaid time off after one year of employment, tuition assistance after one year of employment, great medical benefits, fast paced environment during morning rushes, free coffee drinks, weekly coffee markout, flexible hours, 6 month review allows for possible raise, upward mobility is common

ConsThere are no cons to this employer that I can think of! Great company to work for!

Decent

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for less than a year

ProsTypical service job. Your success is entirely dependent upon your manager and what they train you to do. In my case, my manager favors the one supervisor so she always opens. Her availability is even set to only open M-F, so when I got hired as a supervisor, I was only trained on how to close the store b/c they needed a closing supervisor.

ConsNow, 7 months later, that's still the only shift I ever get. 1-close, 5 days a week. I expressed my desire to learn more, new things and work other shifts. I was told the schedule would change. It hasn't. My manager and I have had this same convo at least 3 times now. I'm over it. I'm bored. Dead end. This position also doesn't pay nearly enough for what is required. As a closer, I do so much more than other supervisors, and I still only make 10.35, which isn't even enough to afford to live in Northern VA. I have to live at home just to afford this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain all your employees evenly. Opening and closing is important to know for all people, and that way, employees have more options to trade shifts when coverage is needed.

Great

Manassas, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 8 years

ProsWorking with people, getting to know the customers

ConsWorking retail is always hard.

great starting job.

Manassas, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

Prosusually very rewarding. awesome perks. possibility for a small raise every six months. great people. customers who genuinely share their appreciation. strong sense of community. the company really does care about the employees. weekly tips. knowing you're involved in something that strives for the closest to best it can be.

Conscustomers sometimes forget baristas are actual people. it can be really hard to get shifts covered in emergencies, sometimes even forcing ill partners to work. as a barista (and probably as a shift as well), it's definitely not a salary i could live off of if i were paying for rent/utilities/etc.

Advice to Senior Managementsomething definitely needs to be done so sick partners don't ever end up working if they can't find coverage, like an on-call barista system, or something. also, where i am the starting salary for a barista is 8.50, which is a dollar more than minimum wage, but it is not enough to live off of and even with their raises most of the partners i know are working one or two additional jobs to support themselves, making them sicker, more exhausted, discouraged and generally less valuable as starbucks employees.

Very fulfilling and actually fun

Barista (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

ProsTeam management and very helpful management

Consdemanding customers making it seem like there is nothing you can do to satisfy them

Advice to Senior Managementwork on providing tips to barristas on how to work with impossible customers

Great for a high schooler. Thanks about it.

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee)
Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsCant really think of anything thats a Pro except for the fact that you will get a paycheck and they allow direct deposit.

ConsManagement is always inconsistent. No one cares about time management. If you are a barista, you will be blamed for everything that goes wrong. Ive worked at several locations, essentially all the supervisors and managers are bullies.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou wont take the advice simply because you dont get paid enough to care.

Great company to work for; Cares about employees on all levels

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Reston, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits; amazing work culture

Conslong hours if your store has staffing issues

Good Manager = Happy Employees

Barista - Starbucks (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsI worked at the Starbucks on Dupont Circle in D.C. The manager is great. It's one of the busiest Starbucks on the east coast, which means more tips accumulate over time than a less busy Starbucks. Sometimes 10 minute breaks are forgotten, but all you have to do is ask/reminder your shift supervisor.

ConsOn your feet for 8 hours/day. A range of customers come in, some in better moods than others. Try not to take anything personally.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great Place to get Started

Barista (Former Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits and low barrier of entry.

ConsLack of upward mobility in company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire Managers who have never worked as a Barrista. .

High paced, social and fun.

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHigh connectivity with partners and customers. Partner benefits are great.

ConsYou are on your feet all day. This is not for the faint of heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold off on the unnecessary micromanaging, and please be prepared to give a reason as to why you want things a certain way.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Starbucks CEO Howard D. Schultz. All 65 reviews posted anonymously by Starbucks employees.