Starbucks Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz

Pros
  • Excellent benefits even for part time employees (in 452 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 230 reviews)

Cons
  • No existence of work life balance (in 131 reviews)

• District managers in the Dallas area are amazingly susceptible to engaging in this gossip - it would be comical if it weren't just sad (in 140 reviews)

1. Pretty good Student Job

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Hours are relatively flexible. weekend shifts are pretty easy. Free coffee, lunch and pound coffees.

Cons

I had to work even during federal holidays and adverse weather conditions. It is physically exhausting because you have to stand all day. Bad shift supervisor = Bad working experience. My shift supervisor smoked week during his breaks and made me work hours after clocking out. Manager did not take any serious actions when I complained.

Advice to Management

Please promote baristas who qualify to become a shift supervisor , not based on number of years they've worked.

2. Shift Supervisor

Former Employee - Barista/Shift Supervisor in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Barista/Shift Supervisor in Rockville, MD

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee and drinks. A lot of insurance stuff for people with 20 hr work week.

Cons

Constantly being under fire to do more when you're already going full speed. Weird brutal schedule. Closing at 9-10 pm then opening at 4am. Forget about sleep or a life.

Advice to Management

If you close you shouldn't open the next day. I did that all week close open close open it almost ruined my health my marriage and made any kind of life impossible. Worse yet a lot of workers are students who get priority over you. They have class so that means because your 25 and married you can go days without sleep but they can't miss class. Equal fair schedule and giving everyone's availability respect.

3. Fast paced environment

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starbucks provides flexible hours , benefits, discounts, partner mark outs, great place to grow and build lasting friendships. If you love coffee you'll love working here.

Cons

Understaffing is ridiculous, batistas and shifts get overworked, high partner turnover, communication is not all that clear. Batistas who become shifts get worked the hardest with little notice.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with your shifts, help more deserving shifts get promoted

5. Busy

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Oxon Hill, MD
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Oxon Hill, MD

I have been working at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, meeting different people, stock plan, everyday learning, eligible partners (those working 20 or more hours a week) can get a wide range of perks, benefits and assistance. Your Special Blend might include bonuses, 401(k) matching and discounted stock purchase options. They offer adoption assistance and health coverage for you and your dependents, including domestic partners.

Cons

repetitive tasks, pay is not enough, inconsistent hours make it hard to make a monthly budget, lots of standing, management restrictions and expectations

Advice to Management

Pay more

6. It was easy at first but you have to be a quick learner to work there and you have to be fast.

Former Employee - Barister in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Barister in Washington, DC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is great and the schedule is very flexible.

Cons

You have to learn a lot of things so fast,

7. Shift supervisor

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Washington, DC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, tuition discounts, and tips. Friendly customers and fun coworkers

Cons

Management is horrible my location had 4 managers within less than a year. Tips aren't divided fairly, discipline isn't fairly handed out, upper management only cares about their money and not the employees. Retaliation from management if you happen to call out sick they will cut your hours drastically.

Advice to Management

Promote managers from within the company instead of going outside the complany. Also district managers should visit stores more often to talk to barista's and staff.

8. Not bad with good management

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of hours for those that would like to work and benefits.

Cons

I was at two different stores and both stores had horrible managers. The pay could also be better for the amount of work you do. I was a shift supervisor and needed to make more money

9. Barista

Current Employee - Barista in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Barista in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the partners are very nice and helpful, willing to teach if your are eager to learn. They will let you try different kinds of duties to explore your strengths.

Cons

Working hours. Some of the store open at 5:00am and that means you need start working at 4:15am. And you would not able to leave before 11:00pm if your were scheduled at PM shift.

10. Store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Full tuition reimbursement with ASU online, free food item and beverages when you work. It can be enjoyable with the right team and district manager. Company really wants to help partners become better and challenges you to do so. As far as retail managent goes, the pay seems above avg.

Cons

It's retail management but with a huge cleanliness and foodsafety element. It's a taxing, stressful job. You have to ask a lot of your employees and to meet all expectations everyone has to work their but off. Always need to get shifts covered and taking a vacation is an illusion. As far a retail managent it seems ok but in general it sucks.

11. store manager

Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Waldorf, MD

Pros

Bonuses, free drinks, great customers

Cons

Constant change corporate rules insane

Advice to Management

I started as a barista and in three yrs I became a store manager

Showing 34 of 7,432 reviews