Starbucks Reviews

Reset

1. Good job depending on your needs

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Gainesville, VA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Gainesville, VA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing, but only if you take advantage of them. The 401k, restricted stock units, free college... All great things, but if you don't take advantage, it's just like any job.

Cons

Depending on the store, waking up at 330am can be very draining and impact your overall well being if not balanced well.

Advice to Management

I often got the feeling that management was being stingy. They wanted us to meet certain customer service expectations, but we would almost always be understaffed. The would set goals and not give us the tools to meet them. The way we dealt with it was by working super hard and not taking breaks. There needs to be more customization for each store. Management makes blanket decisions that don't apply to each individual store.

2. A company that takes care of their employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, even for part-time employees. The manager at my store was amazing and really cared for his employees. Teamwork was great

Cons

Not much to complain about. However, the customer is always right code can get out of hand since a lot of customers like to treat Starbucks employees like crap, and we're supposed to smile and take it.

3. Not bad with good management

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Starbucks (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of hours for those that would like to work and benefits.

Cons

I was at two different stores and both stores had horrible managers. The pay could also be better for the amount of work you do. I was a shift supervisor and needed to make more money

5. Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Capitol Heights, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Capitol Heights, MD

I have been working at Starbucks (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule benefits company generally treats employees fairly

Cons

Low pay sometimes District Managers are horrible

Advice to Management

raise employees pay rate

6. Would have been great if my store had had a decent manager.

Former Employee - Barista in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Barista in Washington, DC

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee. My coworkers were almost all great people. I personally enjoyed making drinks and formed relationships with some of our regulars. Generally an easy job once you've gotten used to things.

Cons

My specific store experience was pretty much a nightmare. My manager was horrible in general - inappropriate, unprofessional, and he had unrealistic expectations of what a full-time college student could handle (one scheduled me to work a 30 hour week during midterms and frequently scheduled people on their religious holidays after they had requested off). But that was small change compared to the main issue I had here. I had a certain coworker who, from the very first day I worked with him, began a pattern of sexual harassment that went on for about six months before I finally took it to management. I filed a written report but my manager shoved it under the rug after asking me many victim-blaming questions ("but did you ever ask him to stop?"). Not only did he not fire this partner, who already had a poor work and behavior record, what's worse, he did not uphold the confidentiality of my report so that I no longer felt fully comfortable coming into work. I eventually called the corporate business ethics department, who launched an investigation but STILL never got back in touch with me after the initial phone call. In retrospect, I can't believe it took me so long to quit but I'm very glad I did. That being said, I don't think that the job itself is necessarily set up to be the hellscape I went through. If Starbucks would just hire better managers and exercise better oversight, it would have been a much better work experience.

Advice to Management

Get rid of managers who pull stunts like this. It's not okay and someday soon you'll get a class-action suit over it.

7. Shift Supervisor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The free drinks, only while you work though.

Cons

They expect so much work from you, for very little pay. Baristas only get less than $1.00 than a supervisor. Not worth it for the responsibility and pressure the put you through.

Advice to Management

Back your supervisors up, they are the ones who run the business for you when you are not around.

8. good experience

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Treated well, decent management, free frappuccinos

Cons

hard to get more than 30 hours

9. Barista

Current Employee - Barista in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Barista in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the partners are very nice and helpful, willing to teach if your are eager to learn. They will let you try different kinds of duties to explore your strengths.

Cons

Working hours. Some of the store open at 5:00am and that means you need start working at 4:15am. And you would not able to leave before 11:00pm if your were scheduled at PM shift.

10. Not liking it

Current Employee - Barista in Lorton, VA
    Current Employee - Barista in Lorton, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice partners, free drinks & pastries. Some customers are so nice they make your whole day. Store smells like coffee.

Cons

Too much cleaning with so little staff in such an unreasonably short amount of time. Rude & demanding customers act as if there life depends on it to get their coffee immediately. Some customers treat us as if we are robots. Way too much multitasking. Manager is way too impatient. I feel as if the company cares more about the customer than the partners.

Advice to Management

Be patient with new baristas & stop freaking out over the tiniest things.

11. Store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Full tuition reimbursement with ASU online, free food item and beverages when you work. It can be enjoyable with the right team and district manager. Company really wants to help partners become better and challenges you to do so. As far as retail managent goes, the pay seems above avg.

Cons

It's retail management but with a huge cleanliness and foodsafety element. It's a taxing, stressful job. You have to ask a lot of your employees and to meet all expectations everyone has to work their but off. Always need to get shifts covered and taking a vacation is an illusion. As far a retail managent it seems ok but in general it sucks.

Showing 153 of 7,390 reviews