Starbucks Reviews

• Washington, DC Area

1. Opportunities For Growth

Current Employee - Barista in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Barista in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starbucks is evolving into a company that focuses on its employees and their satisfaction with the job. The company is also taking active measure to ensure that each employee is getting the benefits that they deserve. You get to meet awesome people which is an added bonus.

Cons

It's customer service, and we all know what a challenge that can be. Salary for the workload isn't amazing, considering other places (however benefits are better as far as I'm aware).

The education plan Starbucks has incorporated is excellent for those who are still working on an undergraduate degree, however a lot of employees who already have a bachelors would like to see a program that benefits them to continue their education, myself included. Also, being able to express your individuality while maintaining a professional demeanor is very crucial to job satisfaction. I would like to see the company encourage their employees to express themselves at work.

2. My time at starbucks was annoying.

Former Employee - Barista in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Barista in Washington, DC

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, and amazing boss

Cons

Bias politics, and inadequate compensation for the amount of manual work done

Promote from within.

Great place to work, great benefits, pay--meh

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They truly think of everything when it comes to training. I had a really good experience coming in as a shift supervisor and had a lot of support.

Cons

It is a corporation so they are strict about standards but that's not so much a bad thing as it is annoying when corporate people come into your store and seem to have no idea what its like to work in your store.

5. Fun place to work

Current Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits even for part time partner. Free coffee every week. A good way to meet some very interesting people.

Cons

It can be extremly stressfull at times. Very hard work if you choose to do it right. Very early shifts.

A Company that Cares

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company has a multitude of benefits, that if utilized can save someone a ton of money. The stock matching and auto vesting is incredible. The stock benefits and vesting schedule are wonderful. The insurance is good and relatively inexpensive for the quality of coverage. College tuition remission is outstanding. Opportunity for growth is unparalleled.

Cons

The pay could be a bit more and problems only exist with individuals not the company. If all policies and human resources practices were followed on all levels the company would be hands down the greatest company in the world to work for, however, it is very difficult to weed out ALL the bad apples.

Continue the great care and concern for all your partners.

7. Bittersweet

Current Contractor - Shift Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - Shift Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Starbucks as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Schedule is flexible. The benefits are great.

Cons

A lot of the upper management have no interest in teaching the partners about coffee and what it means to work for starbucks

hire within; Listen more to what the partners have to say. Get back into the real reason this company was started, other than to make money

Great job high school and/or college job

Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista in Reston, VA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for Starbucks as a Barista through school and loved it. Friendly coworkers, you learn a lot about the customer experience, lessons that have stuck with me as I moved forward in my career. They company was always evolving, increasing quality standards, efficiency and product but they always stayed true to their mission. Great culture. Made me love coffee and tea. I was actually a Starbucks hater before I worked there but they paid more than my other job so I took it. After 4+ years of working there I came out a Starbucks fan.

Cons

If you work at a busy store it can be a high pressure job, if you don't enjoy that then make sure you pick a slower store. I also had a few slightly inept managers in my time so pay attention to who your store manager is going to be.

Stay true to the mission! Watch out for poor store managers. Keep an eye on talent that can be developed from within the company.

9. Overutilized, underappreciated.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coffee, ability to give proper customer service

Cons

Constant repetitive music, ever increasing responsibilities without incentive, MICROMANAGEMENT (the job is quite simple but your manager will try to dictate how you approach EVERY SINGLE TASK)

Respect your coworkers, don't expect them all to want to move up the corporate ladder.

10. Decent Company for High School & College Students

Former Employee - Barista in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Barista in Rockville, MD

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers and entertaining customers make it a great work environment. This place also has flexible work hours.

Cons

Management, early work hours, and the low pay can make this job seem stressful and endless.

Manager and DM's, if they are good, will go along way to address issues and improving the work environment. If not, it will be uncomfortable to work here.

11. Made espresso and other coffee drinks for people while trying to provide an excellent customer experience

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Reston, VA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They provide a box of tea or one pound bag of coffee per week. Not sure if they do currently, but at the time allowed people who worked a minimum of 20 hours to be eligible for benefits. Also give employees stock options. Both of the stores I worked in had good atmospheres and good customer rapport.

Cons

It can get very fast paced and the customers can be very demanding. Also, could not call off work if you did not have anyone to cover your shift. In that way it was a bit inflexible.

My last manager was part of the reason I left. He wanted people to constantly maintain a level of energy and excitement that was somewhat unrealistic. I had been with the company for four years and always showed up to do my job, even on days that I had other matters to take care of.