Starbucks Reviews

3.7
Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,805 Ratings

1. Great place to work, even if you don't drink coffee.

Former Contractor - Help Desk Analyst I in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Help Desk Analyst I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

One of the few places I found that included initial Help Desk training as part of an entry-level position. The overall corporate culture is very open and welcoming, even to contract employees, as I was when I worked there.

Cons

My first contract there was a mid-shift, and my second was an early split-shift, starting at 4am. It turns out that I'm apparently physically unable to work such hours, anymore (insomnia). Unfortunately, at least for a contract worker, there's no viable method for requesting a different shift. This may be a different matter for a full-time employee.

Consider allowing contract workers in 24/7 positions access to the same shift swapping tools that FT employees seem to have.

2. Hard work, Starbucks managers are the hardest working people I know an there a lot of passion motivating this company.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Medical benefits, stock and 401k,

Cons

A lot of stress, not enough pay for managers

3. starbucks is great

Current Employee - Barista in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Barista in Everett, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the perks, flexible scheduling, and coffee

Cons

personal growth, my store is ran very poorly.

work-life balance, better management

5. Starbucks lost its soul. (from a long time partner)

Former Employee - A Long-time Partner in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - A Long-time Partner in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Coffee, office culture, mission. If you find a good manager to work for, appreciate it. I loved the coffee passion and putting the customer first. Embrace change because it will always be in front of you.

Cons

Leadership has lost its way. bringing in too many VP's and up that did not grow up in Starbucks. They don't appreciate the culture that has bee built by people who have been there more than 10 years. If you work for new leadership, beware.

Learn the culture before you ruin it. Learn how you got to where you are and don't forget where you came from. Starbucks is a unique place to work both at the SSC and in the retail stores, don't let new leadership change the formula for success too much.

6. Great Company to work for!

Former Contractor - Supply Chain Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Supply Chain Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Worked as a contractor for Starbucks in Seattle, They do corporate team meetings weekly, flexible schedules, and lots of perks including free bags of coffee. Seriously though, the employees who worked there were the happiest I have seen anywhere. The corporation does a great job of valuing their employees through bonus, team meetings, on and offsite. The down side, I worked in supply chain, and you can get fat there. There are employees who are there for 25 and 30 years which is almost unheard of when you live in a techy city like Seattle. Great place to work for, even as a contractor.

Cons

parking is the only big negative there. You have to take a shuttle from another parking area to get there. And if you need to be at the site at a specific time, then you need to arrive ahead of time to meet the the shuttles to the corporate headquarters.

I think that Howard Schultz and his executive team have done a great job in making a Starbucks a great place to work for employees and contractors like myself. But they really should do something about the parking situation.

Great Company to work for as a student!

Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I learned how teamwork is so vital to the success of a system during my time being with this company. The benefits are incredible as well, medical, vision, 401k, stock option after your first year, the list goes on. The management always puts the partners (employees) first which I couldn't believe! My manager/shift leader was always there for me when an escalated customer situation would occur. The free food and drinks 30min. before and after your shift would always help if you're allergy free! This is a great company to work for! Management is so supportive and positive!

Cons

You need to request time off 3 weeks in advanced, and if you're ill you need to get your own shift covered or let management know 24 hours before your shift. Next, the pay is minimal and tips do help so one's income hourly is about $2-$3 more thanks to our benevolent customers.

Keep doing what you're doing! Management is so supportive and positive!

8. My experiences at Starbucks were mostly positive.

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Redmond, WA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, mostly flexible hours, and fun team members.

Cons

Training was only as good as the current management, sometimes not enough partners on the floor to handle a high volume of customers.

A balance should be sought when seeking profit margin; too much emphasis on churning out drinks quickly causes hardship for partners and has a negative effect on both beverage quality customer experience.

9. Barista

Current Employee - Barista in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Barista in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Fun work environment. Good management. Enthusiastic team members.

Cons

Repetitive motions and the days kind of just blend together. Angry customers.

Depends who you work for.

Former Employee - Manager Operations Consultation in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager Operations Consultation in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Brand recognition. Interesting work. Innovation all around. Fast paced. Good people

Cons

Good luck if you don't drink the coolaid. Tough place to challenge direction. Decisions are difficult to make at an individual level. Chaotic, and senior ranks take advantage of the crazy dedication partners have. It can feel like a cult.

Don't forget to your customers. It's been a long time since you've had a hit.
    Foster an environment that actually allows people to grow. Pull people up, don't squash them down. Create upward mobility. You have great people.
    Oh and on a team where you lay off 7 partners, don't have four of them be minorities and then go off talking about racial equality.

11. Great management techniques, they treat you like an equal.

Former Employee - Barista in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Barista in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to know many customers who are now friends. Free coffee, benefits, and stock.

Cons

Repetitive, very fast work pace. Difficult customers when you had to just say yes.

When you remodel stores, ask actual employees for ideas on layouts and placement of things.