Starcom USA

Starcom USA Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Starcom USA CEO Lisa Donohue

Lisa Donohue

Pros
  • Good training program to learn the fundamentals of media(in 13 reviews)

• You will learn about media planning and buying, lots of vacation, abundance of free meals/events/gifts/etc(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance depends directly on your team, i've seen it be great but they can also drive you into the ground(in 14 reviews)

• Long hours, difficult to maintain healthy work-life balance, below industry compensation package(in 20 reviews)

56 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

ConsLow pay
    Bad work environment
    Bad management

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something

In the fast pace industry of media communications Starcom excels in strategic thinking and challenging the status quo.

Associate Media Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- High energy
    - Strategic thinking lead by human insights
    - Exposure to leading category companies
    - Being on the cutting edge of media communications

Cons- Strenous work life balance
    - Limited staffing for workload, unbalanced across teams

Unfocused and arbitrary, but has potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStarcom is part of an amazing group of companies, in Chicago at least, it is a great location and office space. The clients are typical agency clients, if you work in advertising you know what that means. Salary is somewhat competitive, but geared towards younger workers.

ConsIf you're a smug, entitled, unfriendly, borderline alcoholic 20-something, this is the place for you. It's like high school all over again and the rampant lack of professionalism with this group of employees is staggering. Due to re-orgs and red tape it's difficult to even predict where you sit. Weeks go by without seeing my boss. Feedback and input is a rigid process, but info and sources aren't shared - you're just supposed to accept what you hear in reviews without knowing who said things or why. It's disorganized now due to some half-hearted culture change they are attempting, but no one, not even the champions of the new structure, can really even explain what it is. It's just confusion and chaos. If you aren't 23 with hundreds of pieces of SWAG on your desk, don't expect anyone to talk to you. You're invisible.

Advice to Senior ManagementProperly on-board people! Don't just plop someone at a desk and hope for the best. Be sensitive to the needs of new employees. Be more authoritative and proactive about your organization. Watch the alcohol consumption at work as well as vendor perks - both are bad signs for your firm's integrity. Teach basic manners to people who don't seem to know otherwise. You lose good people because it's not a nice environment, unless you're used to sororities and frat parties. You're running an enterprise-wide clique and you'll continue to lose more people every day. And someday your client will say the same. I've never worked with such rude people in my life.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very fun atmosphere, but very difficult to live in Chicago on the salary

Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery fun atmosphere with an extensive training program.
    You are constantly exposed to a wide aspect of media, giving you a very steep learning curve.

ConsYou will work 50-60 hours a week with no overtime.
    Starting salaries are very low and are difficult to live on in Chicago.
    High employee turnover results in every time a team starts to work well together someone leaves the company or rotates to a new team resulting constantly taking on extra work from others.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer employees more incentive to stay at the company and teams will perform more efficiently/effectively, ultimately producing better work for clients.

Great group of talented, smart and fun people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSocial culture - you will make great friends working here
    Generous time off - more days than you can use!
    Fast paced and challenging work

ConsCan be difficult to obtain work life balance due to nature of agency structure - teams are often very understaffed and people fulfill more than 1 role
    Salary is not very competitive as compared to other Chicago agencies

Advice to Senior ManagementCorrect the agency structure model - it may work for hitting margin goals but it contributes to high turnover, burned out employees and poor work life balance

Your chance to work on the biggest brands in the US and world

Media Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsExperience working on the biggest of the big brands
    Great benefits and vacation time
    Relatively little drama for an agency
    Job security is better than at other agencies
    A great deal of training for new hires (if they ask for it)

ConsAccountants run the place
    It can be a 'sink or swim' environment - depending on your team
    Promotions tend to be more political vs your abilities and talent

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, you do well. I think you should nurture the young talent a bit more. They all seem to leave soon after the 2nd year for better opportunities outside Starcom. It would also be nice to know how the business is doing from a financial perspective. Starcommers never really know until Maurice Levy gives his end of the year wrap-up.

Amazing summer full of learning and fun

Media Strategy Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat team, supervisors cared about development and providing a rich experience, relaxed work environment, casual dress code, lunch & learns saved a lot of money, vendor parties

ConsWish there were more opportunities for interns to get to know each other socially, did not get a chance to meet upper management as interns

LOVED being an intern here

Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgreat perks, great people. I loved it

Conscan get lost in the crowd

Research Manager

Research Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat corporate culture, lots of opportunity

ConsNepotism, can get lost in the crowd

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye out for the non-favorites

Beginning to a Media career

Media Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLots of benefits from clients made its way to employees, such as free Kellogs products!

ConsOnce you are assigned to a team, you may not like the director or teammates, who have full control over your next rotation.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not promote Associates to Supervisors just because they've spent their 2 years there.

Worked for Starcom USA? Contribute to the Community!