Starcom USA

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Starcom USA CEO Lisa Donohue

Lisa Donohue

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The training program is amazing!

Junior Associate (Current Employee)

Prostraining program is great
    professional atmosphere
    work environment

Conslow pay
    inefficient processes
    management could be better

Advice to Senior Managementincrease pay to increase incentives of well qualified applicants

Its all about your account and team - its a mixed bags of nuts

Strategy Director (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsSome really cool accounts and opportunities to move and grow

ConsIt all comes down to the team you are on and who you are paired with. Some account are horrible and others are cake. Turnover like any agency is high but only on the shitty accounts. A lot of it comes down to the senior management. Great leaders have efficient teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more and brainstorm various ways to empower them.

Higher management needs to pay more attention to junior/mid-level workers

Connections Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- Free beer on Friday
    - Company encourages employees to get out through volunteer work and Human Experience days
    - Certain training resources if you need it

Cons- I may be unfairly judging the company as my experience was with a horrible team. My supervisor frequently gave unclear or incomplete instructions on projects, then brushed me off when I had questions. Another employee who was at my level would micromanage as if she was a superior. Other members in my group experienced the same issues and together we alerted our Group Director. I have since left the company but hear the horrible team dynamic still exists.
    - There are few opportunities to switch to another team or a new role.
    - Work/life balance is horrible and you will constantly find yourself working long, stress-filled hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your employees express any type of concern, listen to them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunities for career advancement if you're will to put in the long hours/work

Media Planner (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat atmosphere and great people. You can learn a lot about the industry. Training programs and paid time off is above the industry standard.

ConsLow wages, long hours. Often feels as though you aren't working fast enough, and haven't accomplished anything. High stress environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat mid/lower level employees with a bit more respect, and they might stick around.

Associate

Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFun atmosphere and perks, work with smart people

ConsVery cliquey, limited growth internally

Manager

Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat clients, good experience and a lot of responsibility, much opportunity to learn

ConsOn some accounts, management can be very difficult and argumentative with employees, and there is not a lot of appreciation, work hours are extremely long day to day

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more positive work environment, appreciate and take care of employees. Keeping up morale and bringing up individuals instead of bringing them down can create a much better relationship with client and stronger work output.

Ideal Entry-Level Job

Integrated Media Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsStarcom provides the resources to learn the fundamental skills needed in media planning/buying

ConsOnce you've mastered the application of these skills, the development, creation and progress of following your career path is in your hands

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication, acknowledgement and appreciation are key to a successful team/company

Unfulfilling & led by aggressive core mgt team with no skills transferable beyond Chicago.

Senior Vice President (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBig network, Big clients, Easy to Hide if you are not any good.

ConsBoring (FMCG) clients. Media buyers at best - no planning sophistication. No self-awareness.

It was educational.

Connections Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThey take training seriously and want to make sure you succeed. They move very quickly, intelligently and are a fast-paced company. They use a 360-holistic review process.

ConsThey are a fast-paced company; if you are used to a more leisure work environment this is not for you. Though they try for work-life balance, it seems a difficult thing to achieve there.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistribute work more equitably; more people to handle the work-loads.

Great Media Agency

(Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThere are multiple opportunities average for promotions and rotations onto other accounts, as there are a wide range of high profile accounts to work on. There is good communication throughout the agency as opposed to other media agencies. Strong focus on the review process. Widely respected agency.

ConsPoor middle-level management on certain accounts. Work/life balance not regarded as important by individual teams while HR may try to focus on it. Better team organization and structure needed for some accounts. High turnover which results in higher stress levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of employees to lower turnover rates. Conduct heavier screening of management - not just rely on personal connections. Tougher interviewing process for management levels based on their management expertise in addition to their media expertise. Promotions occur at a very young age and often people are not prepared for management roles and supervising a team. Training should be provided with promotions.

Worked for Starcom USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starcom USA reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Starcom USA CEO Lisa Donohue. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Starcom USA employees.