Starcom USA

Starcom USA Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Starcom USA CEO Lisa Donohue

Lisa Donohue

Pros
  • Good training program to learn the fundamentals of media (in 13 reviews)

• You will learn about media planning and buying, lots of vacation, abundance of free meals/events/gifts/etc (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance depends directly on your team, i've seen it be great but they can also drive you into the ground (in 14 reviews)

• Long hours, difficult to maintain healthy work-life balance, below industry compensation package (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad management

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something

Learn the basics

Media Supervisor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStarcom provides a strong training program for entry level employees. The people are hardworking, fun and talented to work with.

ConsIt is difficult to move around to different areas of the company to gain a more well-rounded experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the people who work there, and provide them with adequate resources for further training and advance their careers.

Starcom

Digital Liaison (Former Employee) North Chicago, IL

ProsVery cool company. Free breakfast, beverages, and there's always beer in the refrigerator.

ConsToo much reliance on temps. Temps come in, get little-to-no training, and end up leaving for better opportunities, leaving managers in the lurch.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring based on looks and start looking at resumes

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Higher management needs to pay more attention to junior/mid-level workers

Connections Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Free beer on Friday
    - Company encourages employees to get out through volunteer work and Human Experience days
    - Certain training resources if you need it

Cons- I may be unfairly judging the company as my experience was with a horrible team. My supervisor frequently gave unclear or incomplete instructions on projects, then brushed me off when I had questions. Another employee who was at my level would micromanage as if she was a superior. Other members in my group experienced the same issues and together we alerted our Group Director. I have since left the company but hear the horrible team dynamic still exists.
    - There are few opportunities to switch to another team or a new role.
    - Work/life balance is horrible and you will constantly find yourself working long, stress-filled hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your employees express any type of concern, listen to them.

Great opportunities for career advancement if you're will to put in the long hours/work

Media Planner (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat atmosphere and great people. You can learn a lot about the industry. Training programs and paid time off is above the industry standard.

ConsLow wages, long hours. Often feels as though you aren't working fast enough, and haven't accomplished anything. High stress environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat mid/lower level employees with a bit more respect, and they might stick around.

Great research, tools and resources

ProsResearch, tools, resources, and people

ConsHierarchy, Poor communication, and small fish big pond

In the fast pace industry of media communications Starcom excels in strategic thinking and challenging the status quo.

Associate Media Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- High energy
    - Strategic thinking lead by human insights
    - Exposure to leading category companies
    - Being on the cutting edge of media communications

Cons- Strenous work life balance
    - Limited staffing for workload, unbalanced across teams

Unfocused and arbitrary, but has potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsStarcom is part of an amazing group of companies, in Chicago at least, it is a great location and office space. The clients are typical agency clients, if you work in advertising you know what that means. Salary is somewhat competitive, but geared towards younger workers.

ConsIf you're a smug, entitled, unfriendly, borderline alcoholic 20-something, this is the place for you. It's like high school all over again and the rampant lack of professionalism with this group of employees is staggering. Due to re-orgs and red tape it's difficult to even predict where you sit. Weeks go by without seeing my boss. Feedback and input is a rigid process, but info and sources aren't shared - you're just supposed to accept what you hear in reviews without knowing who said things or why. It's disorganized now due to some half-hearted culture change they are attempting, but no one, not even the champions of the new structure, can really even explain what it is. It's just confusion and chaos. If you aren't 23 with hundreds of pieces of SWAG on your desk, don't expect anyone to talk to you. You're invisible.

Advice to Senior ManagementProperly on-board people! Don't just plop someone at a desk and hope for the best. Be sensitive to the needs of new employees. Be more authoritative and proactive about your organization. Watch the alcohol consumption at work as well as vendor perks - both are bad signs for your firm's integrity. Teach basic manners to people who don't seem to know otherwise. You lose good people because it's not a nice environment, unless you're used to sororities and frat parties. You're running an enterprise-wide clique and you'll continue to lose more people every day. And someday your client will say the same. I've never worked with such rude people in my life.

Good place to start but very high turnover

Media Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGood training program to learn the fundamentals of media
    Big brands/clients

ConsNo work/life balance
    Understaffed
    No overtime
    Poor management

Very fun atmosphere, but very difficult to live in Chicago on the salary

Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery fun atmosphere with an extensive training program.
    You are constantly exposed to a wide aspect of media, giving you a very steep learning curve.

ConsYou will work 50-60 hours a week with no overtime.
    Starting salaries are very low and are difficult to live on in Chicago.
    High employee turnover results in every time a team starts to work well together someone leaves the company or rotates to a new team resulting constantly taking on extra work from others.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer employees more incentive to stay at the company and teams will perform more efficiently/effectively, ultimately producing better work for clients.

Worked for Starcom USA? Contribute to the Community!