Starlight Children's Foundation

Starlight Children's Foundation CEO Jacqueline Hart
Jacqueline Hart

1. Best of both worls

I have been working at Starlight Children's Foundation

Pros

great benefits, including time-off
    great opportunities
    highly trained staff
    training is good

Cons

working for a nonproftt is hard wark and not the best pay like a for profit but you do feel good about doiing good work

2. Mental Health Specilaist II

I worked at Starlight Children's Foundation full-time

Pros

Professional environment, excellent training, great supervisors, decent salary.

Cons

Lots of paperwork, working under pressure, need to meet productivity, long hours of work.

Dramasauce

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starlight Children's Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing about Starlight is the on-paper mission of helping children. I say "on-paper" because they use that noble goal to get you excited about being part of the team, and then you find out that there is no "team" at all.

Cons

Upper management is three-faced. All smiles and fluffy words while doing nothing to actually help further the mission. Communication is sloppy and inconsistent, and the ceo is disrespectful, condescending, and plastic.

Advice to Management

Go to the private sector. Earning 300k to pretend like you're helping kids is repulsive. It might be justifiable if you were actually helping, but there's more drama here than in hollywood.

Low pay

Current Employee - Youth Care Worker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Youth Care Worker in New York, NY

I have been working at Starlight Children's Foundation

Pros

Working with youth.
    Staff was cool.
    Food.
    Share.
    Open.

Cons

Low pay.
    Closed minded.
    Holiday pay.
    Jump to conclusion.
    Early hours.
    Carry mind.

Advice to Management

Do better

Don't be skewed by the positive reviews

I worked at Starlight Children's Foundation full-time

Pros

The mission is the pro! They get one star for the mission.

Cons

In a two year period, approximately 20 employees quit or were fired/laid off. There is only about 30 people in the entire company. This turnover speaks for itself on what it's like to work there.

I find it incredibly interesting that a lot of the "good" Glassdoor reviews were written the same week. Look at the dates. I happened to know that the CEO called all employees into a meeting that week to discuss the negative internet reviews. Hmmmm... Looks suspicious to me.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better!

The Middle school of nonprofits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starlight Children's Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for a nonprofit is more satisfying than previous jobs in corporate America. It would be even more satisfying if leadership cared as much about the children we’re trying to help as they do gossiping like catty teenagers behind everyone’s back.

Cons

One would almost expect some % of mid-level managers to be unscrupulous and malicious, but here those qualities emanate from the very top including the CEO and VP levels. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to find out that the below cheerleading reviews (that bumped the negative ones to the 2nd page) were written by executive leadership in an attempt to whitewash their self-esteem. Tragically, the worst casualties are the kids in need that we’re supposed to be helping day in and day out.

Advice to Management

Get out of the way, and take your egos with you. You constantly talk about “the mission” but spend all your time and energy on everything but the mission with your adolescent gossiping and scheming. Some of us actually care about the children we’re trying to help and don’t have the time or energy for your juvenile distractions.

8. Second to None

I have been working at Starlight Children's Foundation

Pros

You get to work with some of the most talented people in the nonprofit industry. You get to work with people who are invested in the mission and want everyone to succeed. One of the best places I have ever worked at and I've worked at quite a few nonprofits. Benefits are great and management is super flexible when it comes to family matters.

Cons

fast moving so people have to stop each other respectfully to connect the dots - understandably.

9. Great organization to work for

I have been working at Starlight Children's Foundation

Pros

Positive people, relaxed work environment, great perks, significant upward mobility for high performing individuals, good work life balance

Cons

fast moving; a lot of autonomy - gotta love that though

10. Friendly work environment

I have been working at Starlight Children's Foundation full-time

Pros

Benefits are great and improve over time. There are some highly skilled and pleasant people with which to work. I work with caring and hard working people.

Cons

No cons I can think of at this time.

Advice to Management

Everyone is a leader here and expected to work professionally and think of solutions with respect to all.

11. A hard-working, compassionate organization with coworkers who are dynamic

I have been working at Starlight Children's Foundation full-time

Pros

A strong organizational structure allows employees to communicate and address their concerns quickly. Coworkers are hard-working, compassionate, funny, and possess fantastic personalities. The work you do with the clients is rewarding and you are able to visually see the investments we make in the children through our partner facilities everyday. The challenging environment encourages you to develop important skills such as leadership, critical-thinking, conflict mediation, communication, and relationship building. The relationships you build leave a resonating impact on you and motivates you to learn and develop a deeper understanding of people. Feedback and communication are vital as your thoughts, values, and opinion are not simply heard, they can actually affect or change policies and culture.

Cons

Only people with the strongest characters and the ability to adapt to changing situations can grow to become effective workers; those who lack those qualities tend to not excel. Flexibility and humor are helpful.

RSS Feed </> Embed