Starr Restaurants

Add Photos

Stephen Starr

My 9-5

Packer/Driver (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsI really appreciate being a employee At Starr.They Make sure we are well fed each day.The staff are the bomb and i have atleast one person that helps me get the job done in the warehouse

ConsMe being the only underpaid warehouse worker/Driver with a rate of 10hour when everybody else started with 12hour and my resume shows experience ranging all the way from 2006

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at how each person works so You can see that person is a keeper and should be paid like it

Great co-workers, so-so management, stingy perks

Host (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsYou really become a family with the rest of the staff. If you're a fan of an unpredictable routine, it's a great gig.

ConsWho ever heard of a restaurant that didn't feed its employees? Sometimes they'll make staff meal on weekdays, but sometimes they just don't feel like it. Only 20% food discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with fellow management before taking it out on employees.

Great opportunity to make waiting tables lucrative

ProsFlexible scheduling, great coworkers, and consistent flow of business

ConsLong shifts compared to other restaurants

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not schedule double shifts

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Varies greatly by restaurant

Bartender (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsLove everyone I work with and don't generally every have to work very late

ConsHas become increasingly more corporate and the home office has no problem gouging it's employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your FOH employees, especially the ones who have stuck around for a while! Although you may not pay us much, we're the face of your company and are not disposable.

Weird quirks in upper management but daily life working here is not too stressful and pays decently.

Server (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsShort dinner shifts generally 4pm-10pm during the week with little to no sidework as a server. The concept I am in is a pooled house so money is generally consistent.

ConsTipping out sushi bar in addition to the normal tip out means I generally only walk with about 50% of my tips. No requests for time off you have to trade shifts with other servers.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistent schedules are nice, but I hate having to worry about taking time off for vacations.

Good place to work

ProsThe money is better than most restuarants in the city. They really teach you about excellent customer service and it is very fast-paced. It is easy to get another service or hospitality job in the city once you work for Stephen Starr.

ConsIt is hard to move up at the Continental Midtown. They tend to keep you in one position if you are good at it rather than move you up because you deserve it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within

Review of working at corporate

Corporate (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsSalaried employee/manager dining allowance - very easy to spend the whole allowance in one meal at one of the restaurants, but a nice perk
    Decent health benefits but stops there, no 401k, use your personal days if you ever get called to jury duty, very few bonuses below the "executive level" ever paid out
    Lot of potential to learn about the restaurant industry and good place to get experience, not a good place to build a career
    flexible work - you can ask for a laptop and a company phone so you can work from home

ConsExtreme, over the top focus on cutting costs only to wind up paying even more after to fix the original problem
    cost cutting also extends to having the same number of corporate employees that this company had 10 fewer restaurants ago - everyone is overworked and stressed, making it a generally unhappy environment and the top doesn't want to hire more and add more costs
    unprofessional environment that starts at the very top, a lot of cursing, a lot of yelling and not behind closed doors, a lot of trying to save your own skin at someone else's cost
    you're probably never going to get a raise greater than 2% because your review is going to blame you for things that you literally can't do anything about, like not having enough staff or being able to add staff

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so short sighted with spending money. Every dollar you "save" has a hidden cost down the road that is usually more expensive than the savings. Hire more employees. Try criticizing people professionally and politely and stop thinking that yelling at people motivates them to do more work - it works the other way around.

Hostess

Hostess (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsAmazing co-workers and management. Staff meal available. Great experience!

Consmultiple days of interviews, seems a little excessive for a hostess. Definitely have to be attractive or they won't even consider your application.

Excellent restaurant reputation with great earning potential

Server (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat pay, flexible hours, decent management

ConsDifficult to advance as a manager

Chefs leaving one after another

Event Chef - Starr Events (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsIt's very exciting to work with the events group. You will get to see some really cool locations.

ConsThe new executive chef really needs to work on his people skills. He barks orders at people and treats them like they are stupid. The guy can't handle the pressure. Chefs are walking out... It can be difficult to get scheduled for events as they are first come first served via email. If you take one of the jobs in NYC - you have to travel by van with fellow workers and not compensated for the entire travel time. It's a long drive back and forth for an event in NYC from Philly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new Executive Chef who can remain calm under

Worked for Starr Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!