Starving Students

Updated January 15, 2015
Updated January 15, 2015
3.3

Mark Peers

lots of room for advancement; nice people to work with

Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starving Students full-time (less than a year)

Pros

nice people to work with/for. company policies are good/ethical. Incentives are unbeatable - prove your worth and reap the rewards.

Cons

not anything serious or to worry about

better coffee!

Fast-Paced, lots of work but room 2 rise

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Starving Students (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Room to advance... most of the management worked their way up to top and are always scouting new talent (plus you can get a lot of early exposure if you work hard and seek out opportunities)
    -Diverse management team (lots of women, variety of ages, ethnic/racial backgrounds, personalities, etc.)
    -camaraderie---we have a lot of fun together and many were there for a long time
    -Mentorship options and very fair compensation
    -company is starting to grow again

Cons

-VERY fast-paced so it can be stressful during busy season
    -some new hires might mean change up to existing processes...which is great but probably more work
    -new employees will have to keep up with new tech being implemented
    -we got hammered by not acting fast enough to keep up with internet

improve the web presence... give the team a better vending machine!

Working for Starving Students

I have been working at Starving Students

Pros

Several of the departments have been there for a long time. And we are like family. We care for one another.

Cons

Some of the departments need more team work.

There is opportunity for advancement.

EXCELLENT PLACE TO WORK

I have been working at Starving Students full-time

Pros

I have been working at Starving Students, Inc for almost a decade now and I am very thankful for being part of this great company. You are surrounded by extremely nice and competent colleagues and bosses as well.The potential for learning is limitless but you have to be willing to learn and work hard.

Cons

None! This is a great company that genuinely cares for it's employees.

Whatever it takes!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Starving Students

Pros

Too many to list! A fair and ethical place to be. We take care of our employees and customers, and always do the right thing by them. I love coming to work everyday. Everyone is upbeat and happy, and are working towards the same goal. I've learned so many things since being here.

Cons

It hurts me when I look online and see our terrible Yelp rating. It's unfortunate that we are being represented so poorly after moving over 1 million families. Like most things, people are quick to complain and slow to give praise. Seems the same on here. Thankfully, management isn't like that at Starving Students! We are treated so great and always respectful of our customers and employees!

Starving Students is a career, not just another job!!!!

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starving Students full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Starving Students is a great place to work. it's the land of opportunity. I've worked here for almost a year and within the first two month I was promoted. Hard work is rewarded and if you're able to contribute and help the company grow, the owner is willing to listen and implement ideas that work best for the company. I've never worked in the company where the owner was so active and easily accessible. Its refreshing to know I can knock on his door and he will listen. We are a big family here. I am very lucky to be working in such a great place where the opportunities are endless.

Cons

Like ALL jobs there are pros and cons but overall Starving Students is a great place to work. Sometimes things work at a slow pace when you need answers right away.Not everyone is not ready for the change we need, but that's life... We WILL get the results we need because I'm here and I won't stop until we're where we should be!!!!

We should change our technology and social media TODAY, but we have people here who can help today. We have untapped resources, ONLY the Owner and the CFO should take a look at this.

Not just a job. It's an adventure-ish.

Current Employee - Online Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Online Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starving Students as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I started working at Starving Students in 1974, one year after they started. I was 16 years old and it was my first "real" job. The pay was $2.00 an hour, but you got a 25c increase for every 40 hours you worked until you maxed out at $3.00 per hour. One of my best friends had worked there for three days so he used his seniority, got me in and we did a moving job. A crew of two with a total of three days experience between us.
    I loved it.
    I was getting paid, getting exercise, learning a ton of stuff, and meeting all kinds of people. The office was nuts. Non-stop action. A carnival of movers, customers, office workers, friends, street people, etc. I loved the job and when I met the founder Ethan, I couldn't believe how funny he was. Hilarious. And only 19.
    We became friends, and I worked there until I was 23 and decided to go back to school.
    Over the years I have worked for or with Starving Students several times in different capacities. Ethan has kept his sense of humor throughout and his work ethic is as strong as ever.
    If working hard and laughing hard appeal to you, Starving Students could be a good fit.

Cons

Early mornings, late nights. The owner works 24/7, he kind of expects everyone to work like him. People are stressed out when they move. Sometimes, no matter what you do, they will be upset. it takes an infinite amount of patience to deal with them, but you learn.

Get your website together. Use social media. Try some new things. It's getting stale

Boss Likes Firing People

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Starving Students full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company pays you most of the time and a lot of the people there are fun to be around.

Cons

The boss insists on firing people for various, silly reasons making the Customer Service department a revolving door of people. The Marketing Team doesn't know what to do and is directionless and management absolutely refuses to listen to new ideas and relies on old methods to try to keep this struggling moving company moving forward, which it's not.

Get with the times, think before you fire people and try new ideas once in a while.

Dysfunctional and chaos rule the day here.

Former Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Starving Students full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no pros in working here, work environment is hostile. This place should be a case study on how not to run a business. You get better training at a nursery school, I will be surprise to see this place still standing within 2 years. Yelp reviews are so low, after working here I can see why. Beware there is no future here, you have been warned.

Cons

Why work at a place where the fed and state authorities sequestered financial records. Revenue is continuously declining year after year.

No matter what you do, your days are numbered. This place is cancerous, no chemo therapy of any kind can save this business.

I would highly recommend it to a friend

I have been working at Starving Students full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Starving Students for 4 years. All in all, it is a good place to work. The people are great. Work hours can be arranged in a flexible manner. In my department, I especially like working with the people around me. The management does a good job on solving problems.

Cons

Most of the time everything runs smoothly. When it gets busy, it can get hectic.