Starving Students

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
2.6

Mark Peers

Not just a job. It's an adventure-ish.

Current Employee - Online Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Online Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starving Students as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I started working at Starving Students in 1974, one year after they started. I was 16 years old and it was my first "real" job. The pay was $2.00 an hour, but you got a 25c increase for every 40 hours you worked until you maxed out at $3.00 per hour. One of my best friends had worked there for three days so he used his seniority, got me in and we did a moving job. A crew of two with a total of three days experience between us.
    I loved it.
    I was getting paid, getting exercise, learning a ton of stuff, and meeting all kinds of people. The office was nuts. Non-stop action. A carnival of movers, customers, office workers, friends, street people, etc. I loved the job and when I met the founder Ethan, I couldn't believe how funny he was. Hilarious. And only 19.
    We became friends, and I worked there until I was 23 and decided to go back to school.
    Over the years I have worked for or with Starving Students several times in different capacities. Ethan has kept his sense of humor throughout and his work ethic is as strong as ever.
    If working hard and laughing hard appeal to you, Starving Students could be a good fit.

Cons

Early mornings, late nights. The owner works 24/7, he kind of expects everyone to work like him. People are stressed out when they move. Sometimes, no matter what you do, they will be upset. it takes an infinite amount of patience to deal with them, but you learn.

Get your website together. Use social media. Try some new things. It's getting stale

Boss Likes Firing People

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Starving Students full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company pays you most of the time and a lot of the people there are fun to be around.

Cons

The boss insists on firing people for various, silly reasons making the Customer Service department a revolving door of people. The Marketing Team doesn't know what to do and is directionless and management absolutely refuses to listen to new ideas and relies on old methods to try to keep this struggling moving company moving forward, which it's not.

Get with the times, think before you fire people and try new ideas once in a while.

Dysfunctional and chaos rule the day here.

Former Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Starving Students full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros in working here, work environment is hostile. This place should be a case study on how not to run a business. You get better training at a nursery school, I will be surprise to see this place still standing within 2 years. Yelp reviews are so low, after working here I can see why. Beware there is no future here, you have been warned.

Cons

Why work at a place where the fed and state authorities sequestered financial records. Revenue is continuously declining year after year.

No matter what you do, your days are numbered. This place is cancerous, no chemo therapy of any kind can save this business.

I would highly recommend it to a friend

I have been working at Starving Students full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Starving Students for 4 years. All in all, it is a good place to work. The people are great. Work hours can be arranged in a flexible manner. In my department, I especially like working with the people around me. The management does a good job on solving problems.

Cons

Most of the time everything runs smoothly. When it gets busy, it can get hectic.

STARVING STUDENTS IS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starving Students full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I’ve been happily working for Starving Students for 7.5 years and I am proud to be a part of the Starving Students team. Management is supportive and fun. Our CEO is great and truly cares about his employees, and expects the best from us. The potential for growth is here; I started in sales and now I am a valued team member in a coveted department. I’m proud to be a part of the Starving Students family.

Starving Students strongly believes, encourages, and facilitates our mission statement “To conduct relationships with all of our stakeholders as mutually agreed, to operate profitably, and to provide a great place to work.” I plan to work diligently and faithfully daily to promote and accelerate the company to new heights.

Cons

Some people consider it a con that management expects you to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. I personally enjoy this aspect, as I am continually learning and developing new skills.

fun place to work!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Starving Students full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The owner is a visionary, he has proven it with the companies innovations in it's business processes, this has kept the company as one of the leaders in the moving industry for almost 4 decades.

Has employed and continuously employs hundreds of employees throughout the US. Moves tens of thousands of satisfied customers all year round.

Very dynamic environment. If you like projects, you want to be creative and want to sharpen your project management skills, then this is the place for you.

Owner and wife are very approachable and friendly.

Cons

There are more business than what the company can handle. I hope we had more tools and people to do the job.

I hope the company would sponsor training's that can further enhance our skills.

More team building activities to help motivate everyone.

Scary just how bad the Company is...

I have been working at Starving Students full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There really are none. The hours are long, the pay sucks, and senior management is absurdly incompetent (with the owner being the most incompetent and craziest of the bunch).

Cons

It's a long list. Ridiculous hours and terrible pay. Nothing gets done because the owner will not allow anyone to do anything. As a result, things just get worse and worse. The owner refuses to honor any of his contracts or pay any vendors and makes up absurd excuses as to why and then blames other employees for his dishonesty and lack of ethics. There are some employees there that are completely incompetent, but keep their job because they do whatever the owner says. Owner focuses on minor details that do not matter while huge issues go unattended. Owner hires and fires managers every two weeks; the remainder quit within days. Never seen or heard of any company operate in this manner.

It makes no difference. People have been saying the same thing for twenty plus years. Owner is incapable of being self aware and is in permanent denial that he is the actual problem.

Dont work here

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Starving Students full-time

Pros

Just dont work here unless you like pain and suffering at the hands of morons.

Cons

Everything form management to the way they do things. Ass Backwards.

they wont listen so why offer advice.....big egos they have. Be sure to scam the next honest person who wants to move with your bait and switch tactics.

If you like long hours and low pay this is the job for you

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Starving Students full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. I honestly can't think of one good reason to work there.

Cons

The owner is a horrible person with ridiculous demands. All of his employees are afraid of him which is exactly the way he likes it. He has a huge ego and a short temper. Most people would call him verbally abusive. Once I started working there I couldn't believe the amount of negative reviews I saw about this company. Yelp has hundreds of horrible reviews about them.

Sell the company and retire.

Horrific, abusive, unprofessional, poorly run company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Starving Students full-time

Pros

A select few members of the management team are well-educated and knowledgeable. They genuinely have a good work ethic and want to be sucessful. The industry provides many opportunities.

Cons

The CEO, the CEO, and the CEO some more! He vascilates between micromanaging everyone and everything and completely checking out for weeks at a time. He rants, raves, bases nothing on concrete business intelligence, and fires good people after 2, 4. 6 weeks on the job for no reason at all! I've never seen such a poor excuse for a leader. All thinking is short-term rather than long-term, and he just spins and spins on the same minutiae with no attention paid to resolution.

Bring in (and keep for more than 2 weeks) someone to run the company, and the CEO needs to get the hell out of the way. If this person is competent, the other managers will likely rally around and support him or her.