Starving Students

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Peers

I would highly recommend it to a friend

ProsI have worked for Starving Students for 4 years. All in all, it is a good place to work. The people are great. Work hours can be arranged in a flexible manner. In my department, I especially like working with the people around me. The management does a good job on solving problems.

ConsMost of the time everything runs smoothly. When it gets busy, it can get hectic.

STARVING STUDENTS IS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI’ve been happily working for Starving Students for 7.5 years and I am proud to be a part of the Starving Students team. Management is supportive and fun. Our CEO is great and truly cares about his employees, and expects the best from us. The potential for growth is here; I started in sales and now I am a valued team member in a coveted department. I’m proud to be a part of the Starving Students family.

Starving Students strongly believes, encourages, and facilitates our mission statement “To conduct relationships with all of our stakeholders as mutually agreed, to operate profitably, and to provide a great place to work.” I plan to work diligently and faithfully daily to promote and accelerate the company to new heights.

ConsSome people consider it a con that management expects you to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. I personally enjoy this aspect, as I am continually learning and developing new skills.

fun place to work!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe owner is a visionary, he has proven it with the companies innovations in it's business processes, this has kept the company as one of the leaders in the moving industry for almost 4 decades.

Has employed and continuously employs hundreds of employees throughout the US. Moves tens of thousands of satisfied customers all year round.

Very dynamic environment. If you like projects, you want to be creative and want to sharpen your project management skills, then this is the place for you.

Owner and wife are very approachable and friendly.

ConsThere are more business than what the company can handle. I hope we had more tools and people to do the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope the company would sponsor training's that can further enhance our skills.

More team building activities to help motivate everyone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Scary just how bad the Company is...

ProsThere really are none. The hours are long, the pay sucks, and senior management is absurdly incompetent (with the owner being the most incompetent and craziest of the bunch).

ConsIt's a long list. Ridiculous hours and terrible pay. Nothing gets done because the owner will not allow anyone to do anything. As a result, things just get worse and worse. The owner refuses to honor any of his contracts or pay any vendors and makes up absurd excuses as to why and then blames other employees for his dishonesty and lack of ethics. There are some employees there that are completely incompetent, but keep their job because they do whatever the owner says. Owner focuses on minor details that do not matter while huge issues go unattended. Owner hires and fires managers every two weeks; the remainder quit within days. Never seen or heard of any company operate in this manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt makes no difference. People have been saying the same thing for twenty plus years. Owner is incapable of being self aware and is in permanent denial that he is the actual problem.

Dont work here

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsJust dont work here unless you like pain and suffering at the hands of morons.

ConsEverything form management to the way they do things. Ass Backwards.

Advice to Senior Managementthey wont listen so why offer advice.....big egos they have. Be sure to scam the next honest person who wants to move with your bait and switch tactics.

If you like long hours and low pay this is the job for you

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsNone. I honestly can't think of one good reason to work there.

ConsThe owner is a horrible person with ridiculous demands. All of his employees are afraid of him which is exactly the way he likes it. He has a huge ego and a short temper. Most people would call him verbally abusive. Once I started working there I couldn't believe the amount of negative reviews I saw about this company. Yelp has hundreds of horrible reviews about them.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company and retire.

Horrific, abusive, unprofessional, poorly run company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsA select few members of the management team are well-educated and knowledgeable. They genuinely have a good work ethic and want to be sucessful. The industry provides many opportunities.

ConsThe CEO, the CEO, and the CEO some more! He vascilates between micromanaging everyone and everything and completely checking out for weeks at a time. He rants, raves, bases nothing on concrete business intelligence, and fires good people after 2, 4. 6 weeks on the job for no reason at all! I've never seen such a poor excuse for a leader. All thinking is short-term rather than long-term, and he just spins and spins on the same minutiae with no attention paid to resolution.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in (and keep for more than 2 weeks) someone to run the company, and the CEO needs to get the hell out of the way. If this person is competent, the other managers will likely rally around and support him or her.

Worked for Starving Students? Contribute to the Community!