Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Starwood Hotels & Resorts President & CEO Frits van Paasschen

Frits van Paasschen

Pros
  • get to work with many talented people from around the world (in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits we get hotel discounts (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance was hard because we get so involved with everything on property (in 19 reviews)

• Long Hours, some departments take longer than others for management opportunities to open up (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsTruly an innovative company who focuses on lifestyle brands. Great work-life balance.

ConsPromotions can be difficult as you need to move departments to really move up in the company. HR is strict about salary increases from either raises or promotions so negotiate your first salary very carefully as it will influence your pay at the company the rest of your time there.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelease some of the pay and promotion rules in place so you can truly reward hard-working people who are excelling in their roles. It is better to promote and keep the good talent than lose them to another department or company because you are unable to promote them a level.

Awesome Experience with Nice People to Work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a great experience with hard-working people. They like to help each other.

ConsIt's hard for me to find any cons about this job because I had never had any complains about them!

Great starting point for hospitality career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthere is a lot of lateral movement and differing brands to work within. opportunity to move up is fair. there are some departments that are very fluid and are always looking for new energy. then there are the departments where you basically have to wait until someone retires. its like any hospitality company, but having 9 brands to choose from is a huge plus along with 1000+ hotels to choose from

Consthey probably pay the least out of any hotel company. community service is very very big on the "well rounded" mantra, so if you have a family or are a single parent make sure to ask what the commitments are first and what's expected. nothing like getting a bad performance review because you were taking care of your family commitments first,

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good so far

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosi like how they provide an upbeat atmosphere. They are the leading hotel chain and it shows in their presentation to their customers.

Consthey need to remember what makes them good: their people. they need to remind themselves of their core values and uphold them to the highest extent.

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on a better employee experience

Guest Services Associate at Bliss Spa

Guest Service Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDiscounted hotel room stays. Awesome health and dental benefits. Free spa services and products (during product launches). The spa is a great place to work if you're in high school or a student in college.

ConsSometimes management (or at least the manager I had) expected employees to be "on-call." No bueno.

So far so good!

Front Desk (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsProperties all over the world, internal training is good, networking possibilities with other departments.

ConsInternal promotions seem very difficult to obtain.

Great Experience Starwood is always ahead of the rest of the hotel chains

Director of Engineering (Current Employee)

ProsFair Company Great Experience Starwood is always ahead of the rest of the hotel chains

ConsVery hard to get large increases

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsGreat benefits. They offered to pay for tuition if classes are relevant to your current or desired position

ConsNot much of a personal and professional growth within the company

It's all about your location

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsEach property is different. One thing is the same, it's all about the guest experience. If you play the game by the rules and don't mind drinking cool-aid once in a while, you will do well for yourself.

ConsLike everywhere else I've ever worked, politics always come into play. There is a consistent culture of do more with less. The health care plan leaves MUCH to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is great about sharing their global goals, etc. It is insulting to see the stock results posted as well as results of our business, but see our health benefits dwindle year after year.

Enjoyed working for a globe hotel chain

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prostraining, opportunity to live in different areas of the world, if you work hard you can get noticed and move ahead in your job line

Conshard to move from one role to another unless you had previous experience - this is against what the company states about opportunity and advancement

Worked for Starwood Hotels & Resorts? Contribute to the Community!