Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Updated August 24, 2014

3.6

Starwood Hotels & Resorts President & CEO Frits van Paasschen
Frits van Paasschen

Pros
  • get to work with many talented people from around the world (in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits we get hotel discounts (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance was hard because we get so involved with everything on property (in 19 reviews)

• Long Hours, some departments take longer than others for management opportunities to open up (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Guest Services

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This was by far the most amazing Company to work for!! Not only were the benefits great but also the people!!

Cons

There were no flaws here.

Great company!

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of of growth and development opportunity
    World wide company allowing you to work for them just about anywhere
    Good benefits - health, medical, 401k
    great employee perks

Cons

It is a very large corporation, which can in turn offer different challenges for different people. Just know what type of work environment you need in order to succeed.

Great people, great business!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of smart, driven people; great benefits (hotel discounts!); clear company-wide goals from a strong management team

Cons

Work-life balance can be hard depending on workload (which can vary a lot); stronger individuals tend to carry weaker individuals.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Opportunities

Former Employee - Guest Service Manager
    Former Employee - Guest Service Manager

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for, good programs such as Associate Development Program and Starwood University to further your career. Flexible with time off requests given reasonable notice. In recent years, company has driven core values and implemented fun activities to encourage teams.

Cons

Very easy to get overlooked despite your accomplishments. You must butter up upper management to get noticed.

Great Company...

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Brands are amazing and can be fun to represent

Cons

They truly dont care about seasoned sales employees in the long run, very political - tons of unhappy individuals in the sales division at all hotels because of lack of pay, difficult bonus structure and severe lack of opportunities

Sales Managers should be union because they are treated horribly

Great entry level opportunities for people trying to break into the hospitality industry.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company can and will provide you will a wealth of experience if you take advantage of their training programs and mentorships.

Cons

The pay level is lower compared to some of the other companies in the industry but the opportunity to move around the company is there. However, you can be limited in your growth as with any job.

A satisfied experience

Current Employee - Front Desk Manager  in  Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Manager in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Structure of the organization - Policies and procedures in place. Innovation, diversity,

Cons

Some Resorts don't follow proper corporate polices and procedures

An enjoyable workspace

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are great. Good quality people work at these hotels. The work life balance is possible even if management positions, because, usually when you leave you are done and someone else is there to take on your responsibilities. Of course, when someone calls out or doesn't show in the Front Office, someone else has to cover that. The company likes to train it's employees and continue learning.

Cons

Compensation is ridiculously low at an entry level. In a major city even with minimum expenses it is almost impossible to live off of. Because of such pay, there is a constant turn over. For most it is a stepping stone to what's next. There is also an extremely high expectation of Guest interaction and problem solving (understandably) but when you ask so much from your employees they should be compensated accordingly.

Pay for entry level front office should average $15/hour and your expectations would more consistently be met.

Overall good place to work and a lot of opportunity to move around

Former Employee - Call Center Agent  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Because Starwood is an international company, you can pretty much go anywhere you want, if where you live isn't doing it for you. Vacation policy was OK for a call center. I didn't have much issue finding time off as long as it wasn't during the holidays.

Cons

Although taking vacation wasn't an issue, it was the unexpected days off that caused potential problems. Because you need a certain percentage of attendance through a month, it can really mess you up if you come down with something bad. Or in my case, since I worked at home, I had to work with the flu for a few days because I was in danger of my attendance counting against me.

For call centers, consider hour-long lunch breaks and more understanding policies for employees who have to take time off.

Good Company - Sales Environment constantly changing

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits - low cost health insurance, hotel room benefits (star hot, star friend)
    Great team to work with
    Great product to be a part of and to sell

Cons

Sales environment constantly changing without notice
    Coordinators are basically junior sellers without the compensation

Communicate more with your administrative staff
    Promote growth from the coordinator level
    Cross train sales and catering

Worked for Starwood Hotels & Resorts? Contribute to the Community!