Starwood Hotels & Resorts Reviews

Reset
3.5
Starwood Hotels & Resorts CEO Adam Aron
Adam Aron

Pros
  • Help people make reservations around the world (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits we get hotel discounts (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance was hard because we get so involved with everything on property (in 22 reviews)

• slow winter season and long hours (in 26 reviews)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Brand Manager in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Brand Manager in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Starwood (Corporate) is a wonderful place to work. It's fast-paced, fun, with an entrepreneurial culture that allows for many opportunities for career advancement. There's a lot of work to be done, but the work-life balance is pretty good, particularly for New York City.

Cons

There's not too much diversity at the corporate headquarters. There has been a lot of change in senior leadership over the recent years, which can feel unstable. There have been a number of major re-orgs as well. Lastly, the hotel industry is quite cyclical.

Advice to Management

I hope that the new CEO Frits van Paaschen will stay for a while. It would be nice to see some stability there. Other than that, I think that Starwood is a fantastic place to work that I left heavy-hearted (though voluntarily, for a better opportunity).

2. Great Place for hard workers!

Former Employee - Senior Manager of Field Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager of Field Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Great people, great hotel perks and a great company to be proud to be working for. You can see results right away and you have the ability to make change happen.

Cons

Long work hours, not a defined path for growth for managers in the field marketing division, but lots of growth if you are willing to go to white plains

Advice to Management

Create more career paths within Field Marketing (ex. Asst. Directors)

Great place to start a career, but don't stay too long...

Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in White Plains, NY

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Starwood is a wonderful place to start a career. Management gives significant responsibility to young people and is constantly seeking to innovate. For the most part, the people are great, and the environment is collaborative. Plus, the perk of significantly discounted hotel rates isn't too bad either.

Cons

Top-heavy teams can make upward-mobility difficult. For older employees, there are few opportunities to learn new skills once you have been in a role for a few years. The location in a drab office park in White Plains, combined with a high-traffic commute can also make life a bit less enjoyable.

Advice to Management

Continue to cut the fat and fire underperforming employees. More candid information in "all employee" meetings. The hotel industry is basically a commodity business...stop pretending Starwood has some huge brand edge; it doesn't.

Starwood is great but need benefits overhaul

Current Employee - Account Director in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Account Director in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Exciting and fun industry, great brands you can be proud of, good treatment of employees, employee hotel rates, casual dress code at corporate

Cons

benefits packages are low here

Advice to Management

better health and maternity/paternity benefits

6. Starwood Hotels. A place to learn the basics of excellent customer service.

Former Employee - Outlet Supervisor
    Former Employee - Outlet Supervisor

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Friendly environment. Get to meet people from all over the world, both guests and employees. Hotel company with ambition to be great. Focused on delivering excellent service to its guests no matter the situation. Great perks!

Cons

Irregular working hours for most of staff. You will always encounter very rude guests in this industry, if you can't handle it then it's not the right industry for you. Career advancement can be stagnant unless you look to transfer to another location.

Advice to Management

I was very fortunate that my direct supervisor was a very good leader and mentor to me. However, I do think that there were a few managers in different levels that did not fit and actually disrupted work. All managers ought to believe and do what they praise to others; they are leaders by example. When you are training the entire company to do things a certain way with a certain attitude, and managers are good examples of the improper behavior then that creates resentment and conflicts with the company's objective.

7. amazing work environment. you are made to feel welcome and appreciated from day one. doesn't get any better!

Former Employee - Supervisor, Guest Frequency Program in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor, Guest Frequency Program in Austin, TX

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

benefits, compensation, work-life balance, advancement and professional development oppurtunities, generous PTO allotment, travel benefits

Cons

hours of operation run ito to the late night hours; however, scheduling based on seniority so doesn't last for long, also open on most holidays

Advice to Management

keep up the good work. Remember to seek out and cultivate the talent in every individual not just the obvious high-achievers

8. Great place to work for!

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Extern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Extern in Boston, MA

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Managers care about you and treat you as an equal. Everyone I came across was very helpful in teaching me new things. I spent two weeks and learned a great deal while living in the hotel. They are good people and that's what makes up the company.

Cons

I loved my experience and would like to work for them again, however it's not for everyone. My experience was management left me alone most of the time and let me go off and fend for myself. For me I learned better, but for someone looking for training with more structure and not too much responsibility this is not for you. You sink or you swim.

Advice to Management

Thank you for taking an interest in every employee. It was a great hotel to work for and I would love to work for them again. It was the best experience I've had in this industry.

9. Customer Service is King

Former Employee - Bellman in Monarch Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Bellman in Monarch Beach, CA

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

The tips and being able to stay at thousands of hotels for cheap.

Cons

Rich people expect a lot. but if you give them what they want, the money (tip) reward is huge

Advice to Management

Stop changing manager so often. It confuses the employer. Make a decision and stick with it and build a team.

10. Starwood is a Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Starwood's culture is unlike any other company around They promote home/work balance The company often shows their appreciation for employees with special events, outings and reward and recognition ceremonies Managers and above are accessible Wonderful Starwood Hotels Discounts Open to change

Cons

HSA Health Benefits are horrible (traditional insurance is no longer availabe) Many manual/outdated computer programs are still being used Pay scale for non-management level employees are not competitive when compared to other local competitors

Advice to Management

Although Starwood has some of the best talent in the business, they should consider completing a competitive analysis of the salaries of their competiors in the same local area.

11. Great People, Great Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Team Oriented Lots of Fun Opportunity to meet people and help customers Location is great, and flexible work schedule is available

Cons

Lack of appreciation at times Lack of essential communication sometimes, which only results in confusion later on But a good place to work

Advice to Management

Continue promoting from within, appreciate your employees and be sure to give credit where credit is due. All in all keep it up

RSS Feed </> Embed