Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Updated September 28, 2014
3.7

Starwood Hotels & Resorts President & CEO Frits van Paasschen
Frits van Paasschen

Pros
  • get to work with many talented people from around the world (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits we get hotel discounts (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance was hard because we get so involved with everything on property (in 21 reviews)

• Long Hours, some departments take longer than others for management opportunities to open up (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Horrible Company to work for in Stamford, CT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are complacent in your life and there isn’t a need to grow or advance your career it’s the place to work.

Cons

Too many politics, dated technology, no diversity, 40 hrs., benefits are not great, pay is not competitive, and some of the management style are not great managers. No severance policy. No integrity or authenticity.

Treat each member of your team with respect.

Corporate...not a happy or inspired place to work

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Global focus. Product is pretty good however company is "dumbing it down" under new leadership team. Thank goodness for Barry S. handing them great brands and product. They would not get there on their own with current team.

Cons

Leadership, a lot of backstabbing, most associates at corporate at pretty disgruntled. Most of the strong talent has already left.

CEO should surround himself with stronger players and admit that he has made some mistakes when it comes to his direct reports.

Great place to work, people very professional

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People, employee development, friendly place to work

Cons

Non-flexible, no room to advance once you get to certain level

Not very challenging

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Relaxed environment
    - Employees are well cared for

Cons

- Work is not challenging
    - Projects move at very slow pace

Adopt a flatter organizational structure and give more autonomy to reports

Nice people and good benefits, but disfunctional technical environment

Former Employee - Java Developer in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Stamford, CT

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people, good benefits, a gym that was quite handy to deal with stress, relaxed environment. Good pay for the area if not top dollar.

Cons

Technology wise, Starwood is pretty backwards, the technology level is about 15 years behind the times, and not a very good place if you're seeking to learn from the best and brightest. Starwood had a period of extensive outsourcing and it shows, the codebase cannot be compiled without a lot of hacks, employs non-existent standards, obsolete technolgy, and a decade of offshoring has left the code a hideous mess. There is not a lot of training and to make it worse, the offshore personnel can be rather territorial with their knowledge. They will be polite but not overly helpful, and good luck if your task is dependent on offshore co-operation, there will be none unless you escalate the issue up and down the management chain. There is some effort to modernize the code, but the effort is medicore and half-hearted at best. Management is not very engaged, I didn't see my manager for 4 months after I was hired, so had to go it alone with solving my issues of wrapping my head around the technology and terminology. At the end I just left and while I miss the generous paycheck, my outlook in life has improved considerably. Starwood is a depressing and demoralizing place to work if you're a person who prides him or herself in being good with technology.

So in short, go for the outstanding pay (as long as you can last on the job), but don't expect anything but days of endless frustration and zero to none collaboration with your technical co-workers, most of them won't be there long as they're rotated in and out of the country frequently. Collaboration is non-existent, you will often find that your offshore co-workers just stub out your code checkins and not tell you why they did that. Your manager will most likely disappear for weeks and end, never return your e-mails, and seem to hope you'll magically fix everything beyond your control.

Instill some strong leadership. There needs to be a bit of cleaning house to instill technically-oriented managers who are not afraid of institutional pain to put some teeth into the modernization plans that have floundered for the past few years.

Poor corporate culture

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hospitality! Great brands! Field organization can be very rewarding.

Cons

Current leadership team is in sustain mode taking advantage of the strong talent before them.
    Marketing team lacks leadership. Personalization, blah, blah, blah. The innovation left this company when Barry departed. Starwood became Marriott under the current leadership team rather than differentiating and building upon it's heritage, unique brands. Infighting among top SVP level associates weighs heavily on their teams. Director level executives become the sacrificial lambs. So many unhappy people in Stamford...

Keep telling yourself Starwood is "innovative"

The happiness varies widely by department, good luck switching though

Current Employee - Strategy and Business Development in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Strategy and Business Development in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big company with prestige, lots of innovation going on, great brands to work with.

Cons

In my particular department (and many others, but not all) there is no work/life balance, corporate offices are cold, most people are concerned more with covering their own butt than doing the right thing, too top heavy on senior high paid leaders.

Deliver on promises of things like "talent review," offer competitive benefits (CIGNA laughed at me when I told them my plan was with Starwood), remove ineffective leaders, develop and maintain career progression plans.

Leaders in the hospitality industry, good perks and promotes internal employees.

Former Employee - Manager in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Manager in Stamford, CT

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with were down to earth and love there job. Positive energy.

Cons

A lot of projects are thrown at you at one time. If you do no live near the Stamford CT don't bother applying.

Invest more time in your employees for personal growth.

Increased politics in corporate teams

Former Employee - Associate Director in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Stamford, CT

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent and motivated employees. Fantastic brands and great products. Excellent travel perks.

Cons

High turnover due to increased politics in the corporate office. Junior level professionals managing teams with virtually no skills, ability or prior experience leading, developing or managing others. Limited opportunities for upward mobility within corporate teams. Stamford, CT location is less than ideal.

Great brands, poor culture, inconsistent strategy

Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Vice President in Stamford, CT

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great brands, travel benefits, good pay, profitable company

Cons

Too much turnover of senior executives with "trickle down" effects on employees; inconsistent strategy due to continuous management changes.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Photos