Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Reviews in Stamford, CT

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Starwood Hotels & Resorts President & CEO Frits van Paasschen

Frits van Paasschen

Pros
  • get to work with many talented people from around the world(in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits we get hotel discounts(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance was hard because we get so involved with everything on property(in 19 reviews)

• Long Hours, some departments take longer than others for management opportunities to open up(in 23 reviews)

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

Prosgood team, interesting project, best management

Consno any appropriate negotiation, sesson project

Solid company, fantastic brands, good people

Intern (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

Pros- The brands are so well positioned with exciting and unique programs that support the hotels.
    - Creative and bright people who love working at Starwood.
    - Chances to work with a lot of different people in different areas of the company.
    - Discounts on hotels!

Cons- The office atmosphere can be a little stiff and quiet.
    - It takes a long time to get things done - typical large corporation red tape.
    - The office is too hierarchical- things happen in a set way.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo complaints- good comp and benefits, enough time off, and who can argue with summer Fridays?

Overall a good company

Training Manager (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsStarwood Corporate is a good employer. They demand a lot of their employees and help develop them in their career path. Not only do they train you to do your job, but they help you be the best person you want to be. They have great programs for tuition reimbursement and 401K matching. They offer opportunities for advancement provided you’re willing to work in one of the corporate offices. They offer ‘Summer Hours’ which allows you to work 4 hours on Friday provided you make-up your work during the week (Memorial Day – Labor Day). They are an inclusive employer, they recognized domestic partners and provide benefits.

ConsThe medical benefits are barely adequate. They help offset the $1500 – 3000 deductible (single/family) by contributing $125 quarterly to your HSA. They don’t embrace telecommuting, they have some double standards to their policy around this.

Advice to Senior ManagementStarwood likes to run as if they’re a ‘startup’ which they are not. They have 150,000+ employees globally. This reactionary culture creates chaos and frequently burns people out or services/products/software are not consistent or reliable. Learn from your mistakes put more processes and procedures in place to become a more MATURE (CMMI) company and avoid the chaos.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you can't take the heat....

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsSolid incentive pay for above property associates and leadership, brand new LEED certified office HQ, smart & passionate people, oustanding & unique hotel brands, tons of opportunity to move and grow within the company. If you are talented you can basically have a new job every 3-5 years. Innovative and outside the box ideas are welcome and supported by leadership. Endless work & challenges for you to grow your skillset and solid career development opportunities.

ConsConstant innovation and new ideas can be frustrating to those who need structure and stability. This is not a 9-5 shop. The hospitality business is 24/7 and SW expects a lot even out of it's "corporate employee"s. If you aren't ready to give 55-60 HR's a week, you are going nowhere at this company in my opinion and you may even have trouble hanging. Personally I am fine with that but can see how it's a turnoff for some who are used to the typicl 40-45/HR a week corporate job.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust be careful about putting "who you know" vs. "who is best qualified" into leadership roles. Internal promotion and bringing in "people from the industry" is needed but at times there can be bias because of the fear of externals not knowing the industry. You are missing out on some great external perspective & talent.

Good place to work... People are smart, they get it, but the process can be drawn out

Analyst (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsThe people are great, the work atmosphere is nice too. Lots of corporate events.

Consdrawn out process for a lot of things... long interview process. If you're a young person you are going to end up reverse commuting from NYC (like most of us), and the train can be a bit of a pain.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore frequent shuttle buses. The cafeteria food can be pretty bad at times and the other options aren't great. Focus on healthier options in the cafeteria!

Corporate...not a happy or inspired place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsGlobal focus. Product is pretty good however company is "dumbing it down" under new leadership team. Thank goodness for Barry S. handing them great brands and product. They would not get there on their own with current team.

ConsLeadership, a lot of backstabbing, most associates at corporate at pretty disgruntled. Most of the strong talent has already left.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO should surround himself with stronger players and admit that he has made some mistakes when it comes to his direct reports.

Increased politics in corporate teams

Associate Director (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsIntelligent and motivated employees. Fantastic brands and great products. Excellent travel perks.

ConsHigh turnover due to increased politics in the corporate office. Junior level professionals managing teams with virtually no skills, ability or prior experience leading, developing or managing others. Limited opportunities for upward mobility within corporate teams. Stamford, CT location is less than ideal.

Great company

Specialist (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsGlobal company, good pay, many opportunites, good work environment

Consdue to the global nature of the company, you can work late but it gets compensated by time off

Advice to Senior Managementkeep innovating

Great brands, poor culture, inconsistent strategy

Vice President (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsGreat brands, travel benefits, good pay, profitable company

ConsToo much turnover of senior executives with "trickle down" effects on employees; inconsistent strategy due to continuous management changes.

Great place to work, people very professional

Director (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsPeople, employee development, friendly place to work

ConsNon-flexible, no room to advance once you get to certain level

Worked for Starwood Hotels & Resorts? Contribute to the Community!