Starwood Vacation

Starwood Vacation Reviews

Updated January 7, 2015
Updated January 7, 2015
3.4

Starwood Vacation President and Chief Executive Officer of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. Frits van Paasschen
Frits van Paasschen

Pros
  • Relaxed environment and HOT rates are great (in 5 reviews)

• Flexibility in work-life balance, travel, and wonderful people to serve and work around (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The executives are micromanagers and do not provide work life balance (in 3 reviews)

• The upper management was questionable in their practices (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

great company with benefits

Former Employee - Director, Real Estate Acquisitions and Development in Orlando, FL

I worked at Starwood Vacation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

awesome benefits, competitive salary, Love the Brand very professional atmosphere, great discounts on hotel and resort stays as an employee.

Cons

its all about who you know at the top to succeed and continue growing. If you like your current position and wish to stay there long term it could work for you.

listen to your employees concerns they are in the trenches and know the pulse.

Vacation Planning Counselor

Former Employee - Vacation Planning Counselor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Starwood Vacation part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company loves employees, great facility

Cons

on the phone all the time

50/50

Former Employee - Vacation Planning Counselor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Starwood Vacation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Health and vacation benefits. There's a gym on site and health coach. The training is amazing! You also receive training on updates through-out the year. A lot of recognition and awards. The management are very friendly.

Cons

There's a lot of favoritism and nothing ever stay's confidential. Your either liked or not. For what you deal with the pay isn't that great. Expectations from management and job description don't align and need to be perfect at the role, if not you're written up. The grading of the calls is very inconsistent. All meetings are mandatory so If you are sick or taken voluntary time off for the day expect to show up and leave after. Lunches are scheduled for you and getting a morning shift if difficult to get.

Nepotism at its best

I worked at Starwood Vacation

Pros

Hotel discounts are great, though increasing difficult to find. Casual dress

Cons

It's not what you know but WHO you know. Management plays favorites. No passion in the company for learning new ideas

would of been great if everyone treated fairly

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Starwood Vacation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits 'star hot ,relaxed work

Cons

pay structure keeps changing
    wish upper management been trained or shown how to book or sell a tour .having degree from an accounting school or even harvard wont give them the real KNOW HOW THINGS DONE ON REAL LIFE.....NUMBERS ARE JUST NUMBERS .....REAL LIFE IS LIKE NIGHT & DAY.....STEP OUT OF YOUR BOXES & LIVE THE LIFE OF A SALES REP OR A VSC 1 DAY Mr CEO .....

PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH.....

Laid back atmosphere

Former Employee - Accountant in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Accountant in Orlando, FL

I worked at Starwood Vacation as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Flex Time. Family oriented departments.

Cons

Hours a little long at times.

Great Culture

I worked at Starwood Vacation as an intern

Pros

Best values and culture in a company I have ever seen. Everyone wants you to succeed and there's a lot of cross-functional work that is handled well.

Cons

Don't have a bad thing to say.

So-so

Former Employee - Timeshare Sales
    Former Employee - Timeshare Sales

I worked at Starwood Vacation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Seemed like a good company. They brought me in from another field, with transferable skills. They started me in the beginning of the Summer and the managers who were doing the training kept skipping out to close deals. They skipped 1/3 of the training and didn't even realize it. They Cut me after 60 days in the field as I was getting the hang of it. I don't feel they gave it enough of a chance. But it's their ball.

Cons

Incomplete training. I started in June and the managers kept disappearing to close deals, which is understandable. But the skipped 1/3 of our training.

People there was nice. Management was helpful once I was in the field. First 3-4 weeks were wasted pointed in the wrong direction.

Unrealistic Expectations

Former Employee - Vacation Services Coordinator (VSC) in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Vacation Services Coordinator (VSC) in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Starwood Vacation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If your able to meet your marketing goals during the winter your can make very good money. Try and "help" when you aren't meeting standards.

Cons

No reimbursement for gas, when forced to drive all over the area (up to 100 miles somedays). Work 6 days a week, 40-50 hours a week (during off-season, one day w/ 12 hour shift required). During off-season, strict qualifications and lack of potential guests make it almost impossible to make a livable wage ($7.25 w/out commission). 2 months below the expected target puts you in the "red" for the 3rd month, failure in 3rd month=termination (regardless of how few people you even see to approach or if you have never worked in the field before). Training is "ok".

Force reps to attend sales presentation before they market presentation so they know exactly what the guest will experience. More role-playing activities during training to improve marketing techniques. Adjust performance management tracker during off season.

not enough training

Current Employee - Temporary Confirmation Agent in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Temporary Confirmation Agent in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Starwood Vacation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

the pay was good and some benefits

Cons

the upper management had favorites

Starwood Vacation Response

Nov 11, 2014Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing feedback on your associate experience at Starwood Vacation Ownership (SVO). We very much welcome the opportunity to hear from our current and former associates on how we may be ... More