Starz Entertainment Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
75 reviews filtered by
3.1
Chris Albrecht

Pros
  • The company offered great benefits and has a wonderfully creative atmosphere (in 8 reviews)

• Opportunity to work with some really great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • questionable ethics in Human Resources (in 3 reviews)

• The campus is a little remote and although coyotes and deer are cool, a close-by Taco Bell would be preferable to the company cafeteria (in 3 reviews)

1. Former Intern: Incredible work environment

Former Employee - Intern in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Starz Entertainment

Pros

-The people are well spoken, intelligent, enterprising, and exceedingly creative.
    - Everyone is so excited about all of the new programming, as well they should be!

Cons

- I honestly can't think of one, I loved it there!

No Longer A No Name Cable Channel

Former Employee - Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Starz Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for the best Executive in the Original Programming department when I was at Starz. During my tenure, I saw a lot of interesting content come in and I was given a lot of creative responsibility.

Cons

I found that it was really hard to get promoted if you are a woman. The pay is also on the lower end for assistants and it's hard to get raises. The work/life balance is unequal and management expects its employees to put in 12+ hour days. There's no cafeteria and not too many food places are in walking distance.

Treat everyone equally!! Give the assistants and coordinators more projects so that they can have a better chance of advancing. If they're going to put in long days, at least give them the drive to do so.

3. Wonderful internship experience

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Starz Entertainment

Pros

Paid internship in an industry where they rarely are paid. Because it's paid, they actually value the interns and use them by listening to what we had to say about scripts and submissions that came in. Really fun office environment, great connections.

Cons

It can be a bit slow when you're not staffing a writers room. There aren't always opportunities to cover phones for executives, which is a great way to get experience. It can be hard to stand out from the other interns because it's such a fast-paced company.

Give more responsibility to the interns.

5. Feel like I won the employment lottery.

I have been working at Starz Entertainment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Thoughtful employer, fun company, ample resources, lots of employee perks like the week between Xmas and New Year's off, $50 off my cable bill and a free IPhone!

Cons

Not a lot of food choices close, but, there's an expensive onsite cafeteria. Lots of coworkers who have been here for DECADES and don't realize the current state of employee benefits in corporate America. They're a bit spoiled.

Offer more formalized training to employees.

How desperate are you to work in the Entertainment industry and not leave Denver?

Former Employee - Director of Operations in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in Denver, CO

I worked at Starz Entertainment

Pros

Some good eggs on the team here.

Cons

Please google Chris Albrecht, President, and ask yourself if you want to work for a co. that hired him after Time Warner HBO found his actions to be a fire-able offense. Also --- I would question how strategic Starz is to Liberty. Not sure this will stay part of Liberty long term [ I have no inside info -- this is public knowledge / speculation in the trade press]

7. keep your expectations low...

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Starz Entertainment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-No real responsibilities
    -No real experience required
    -No drive for personal growth is welcomed
    -you can be a part of a company struggling and failing to keep up with the services and quality provided by HBO, Netflix and Showtime

Cons

-Poor and Unqualified Management
    -Because of unqualified management, the managers are threatened by any talent so they get rid of them
    -No room to grow, expect to leave the company with little to no experience
    -sketchy HR practices

This could be a great company but managers and developers that are unwilling to adapt to the current market are holding it back. I would say fire all mid level managers and directors and get qualified experience to take over.

8. Top 10 places to work in Denver

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Starz Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-great work/life balance
    -401k match is great (better than most companies)
    -fun staff, interesting work
    -upward mobility
    -family friendly

Cons

-poor performers are tolerated, sometimes for years

9. Overall, Starz Entertainment is a great place to work.

I have been working at Starz Entertainment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly capable co-workers, fun working environment, full of creative challenges

Cons

Forward thinking strategic direction is lacking

Glory days are past

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at Starz Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Few to none. I honestly can find nothing redeeming to write about this company.

Cons

Starz puts out a product so poor that it's embarrassing. They are trying to pass off Turner Movie Classics as fit for airing on a premium movie channel for which customers should pay extra. Health benefits used to be good, but no longer. Career opportunities are non-existent. Since HBO's Chris Albrecht took over the company in 2012, the work environment has deteriorated and become highly dysfunctional, burdened by cronyism and favoritism. The Technical and operational managers are incompetent at managing human beings to an extent that would make Scott Adams happy. Beginning being this year, they have begun to harass their older employees in an obvious effort to compel them to give up their positions so that younger, cheaper workers can be hired. What a shame, especially since Starz used to be such a great company to work for. Change is always inevitable, though not always for the better.

Unload those useless middle managers and get the rights to some blockbuster movies.

The good ones are gone

I worked at Starz Entertainment full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, 401K match, nice facility, work/life balance

Cons

You're not going to get any smarter or learn to take true business risks at this place. Sr management tends to push out the smart people, leaving a team of under-performers who's primary objective is to stay under the radar. If you're comfortable in more of a government/safe environment, you'll do well. If, on the other hand, you have years of experience and speak up, you won't last long.

Hire a CEO who doesn't have a police record for physically abusing women. This black-eye has set a horrible example for women in the company.

Starz Entertainment Photos