State Bank of Travancore

Updated May 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

What I have now viz. money, family status, house, health, children's education etc. everything is SBT

Pathanāmthitta (India)

ProsMy Bank gives me very good salary, status, promotion, job security, job satisfaction, welfare and everything and I am proud of a member of this great Institution.

ConsNo downsides, no harassment, no firing if work sincerely and honestly.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am boasting that my Bank is the best employer in the country

Job security - Yes ; Job satisfaction - No.

Assistant Manager - Accounts (Former Employee)
    Thiruvananthapuram (India)

ProsCompensation - Meager (considering officers have no defined working hours). No annual bonus for officers. Financial perks such as fuel allowance, late sitting allowance (which one gets even if they hardly sit late), allowance for filling ATMs etc are the factors which make the salary from pea nuts to Meager. (Around INR 32000/month).

Housing: The bank provides leased accommodation at place of posting but if you are posted at your home town with a house of your own or your parents this does not factor in and HRA is negligible.

Work: Great place to learn everything about retail banking. In 3 years I learned pretty much to handle a branch with business of INR 200-250 crores. No fixed job description when it comes to type of job. All jobs need to be done, irrespective of whether it is in your profile or not (which is ok to learn but not in the long term).

Co-workers: I have come across some of the most smartest people who love their job and love helping others. Though this cannot be generalized.

Job security: If you are looking at a job where you never want to feel threatened about getting fired even if you come sit and have tea and leave. This is it. You may get sidelined but never fired.

ConsCompensation - Meager, considering one has to clear a national level exam to get recruited. It has be to borne in mind that any compensation aspect has to be negotiated between the IBA and the association. Thus, negotiation forms the basis of compensation and not any formal structure based on scientific study.

Work: Variety in work is good to learn but if it continues in the long term it will clearly lead to errors and mistakes on the part of the employee and the loss is to be borne by the employee (financially). It is common for officers to handle daily business transaction, maintain ATMs, conduct gold pledging and release transactions, setup internet banking and related issues and handle customer relations. There is no organised separation of work and customer service usually depends upon the efficacy of the officer concerned.

Promotion: Growth is time bound to an extent and irrespective of how good you are. You may be excellent and yet you will be considered as per the regulations laid down. The organisation does not identify individuals and groom them to be part of senior management (though it is usually considered, if one joins as a Probationary Officer, he would climb up to the level of at least AGM or DGM). Training of staff is not regular and mandatory once career kick starts.
    Work-Life Balance: Work life balance is good as long as you choose not to work. Not many can be like that. I have heard accounts of officers sacrificing family priorities to finish up work. On an average an officer works for 10-12 hours ( this may be willingly or unwillingly).

Co-workers: To work with a clerical cadre in SBT, one needs flexibility like a jelly. Hierarchy and disciplinary action hardly matter to them. Majority of the work force are due to retire soon and have formed their own impressions of customer service which is not in sync with current generation. Management does not allow taking action against clerical members. This leads to over working of those clerical members who choose to work and this eventually leads to them becoming obstinate and unrelenting when work is delegated to them.

HR management: Regular bankers are appointed in the HR department leading to unprofessional management of HR policies. Though i believe this is the case of most Public sector banks.

Advice to Senior ManagementLink between Management and Branch : I have hardly come across any member of the senior management visit branches, even when it is near to their place of residence. This is important as this not only motivates staff members but also creates a sense of responsibility among the staff members.

HR management: Hire professional HR managers from the market or recruit as specialized cadres like IT or economists.

Attrition rate: People with caliber will leave. This has to be checked. You can always replace him but at the cost of your company.

Fast Channel promotions: Identify individual exemplary officers and chart out a career plan with them. This will make them stick to the organisation even if they will have to sacrifice on salary.

Open branches : Open branches considering your staff position. Keeping small but providing excellent customer service will keep organisation alive. Stretching out far and making customer service worst will not fare well.

Too much work at Kerala branches i recommend this job if der is no alternative for u...

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Alappuzha (India)

ProsSince it is a state bank group bank culture is good. Salary and other allowances will b same as other SB group banks.

ConsPosting in Kerala really sucks. Particularly for non keralites it is quite difficult to deal with food and Malayali speaking customers. For non keralite it will b difficult as one has to work majority of his service in kerala.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to realise that out side kerala there more potential areas. I dont think its scope should be confined to Kerala.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best bank for those who wish to work less and earn more

Deputy Manager (Current Employee)
    Nagercoil (India)

ProsBest bank giving most employee benefits. Even if you work less you are sure to get promotions on seniority basis just like a government department

ConsMilitancy due to kerala base

Advice to Senior Managementmake promotions on productivity based which is currently done almost on seniority basis like a government department. Take quick decisions

I have worked as Clerk, Cashier & as officer in different capacities in State Bank of Travancore.

Deputy Manager (Current Employee)
    Palakkad (India)

ProsAs a Bank Employee, I was able to discharge my duties to my satisfaction, I was paid reasonably and got positing in my home state.

ConsWorking with inadequate man power makes working in State Bank of Travancore difficult now a days.

Advice to Senior ManagementKindly post sufficient staff in all cadre.

Calicut, Kerala (India)

ProsA great organisation which gives importance to Social banking along with commercial banking.Headquartered in kerala

ConsOfficer and clerical Staff shortage is the main drawback.Modern managerial techniques are not being imparted to the employees and no monetory benefits are given for special achievments.

Excellent, pride, honour and great organisation to work with.....

Assistant Manager - Accounts (Current Employee)
    Chennai (India)

ProsFirst and foremost thing is the respect you get.....Its an honour working for State Bank group. Triumph for the company.....

ConsPayscale.... yes pay structure is the most important thing wchich needs to be restructured. The kind of risk involved and the labour and time taken and when compared to other organisations in the market, it needs a change and to be made at par with other private concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo baisism.....

worklife n perks given are satisfactory n feel secure.

Apprentice Trainee (Former Employee)
    Thiruvananthapuram (India)

ProsA lot of monetary n non-monetary incentives n perks. Gives a better platform to step forward in our job career .

Consi dnt feel any downsides with SBT

Advice to Senior ManagementBe better as in past, now n Forever. Be well served

Excellent

Ernākulam (India)

ProsFree to work. good personal relation. good atmosphere. location advantage.

Consnothing special to mention. most of the branches are in Kerala

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellentmanagement

An opportunity to work with the best bankers in India

SINGLE WINDOW OPERATOR (Current Employee)
    Thenmala (India)

ProsVery Peaceful job nature... Best for women... No work tension and upper level pressure.. Good recognition and promotional opportunities...

ConsSalary is a bit low as in all nationalised banks....

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Worked for State Bank of Travancore? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State Bank of Travancore reviews and ratings in India. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by State Bank of Travancore employees.