State Compensation Insurance Fund

2.5

State Compensation Insurance Fund Acting President & CEO Carol Newman
Carol Newman
1 Rating

Pros
  • Flex schedule, teaches you how to become a claims adjuster, good benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, paid vacation/sick/floating days off (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of upper management and HR support through the transition (in 9 reviews)

• They never keep the rank and file employees apprised of what is happening with the company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great benefits package. . .overall still an agency of the government. . .

Former Employee - Program Tech II  in  Vacaville, CA
    Former Employee - Program Tech II in Vacaville, CA

Pros

Working at SCIF I had the opportunity to meet and work with some of the most wonderful and talented people. Formed lasting relationships with many. Non-management positions are union which is a huge plus. Lots and lots of training here all the time.

Cons

As a government agency most often one hand does not know what the other is doing. Priorities change constantly as did the upper management and Executive Board. New CEO every 6-9 months with their own agenda. Rampant scandals in both Northern and Southern CA.

Get your act together. Start listening to your employees more and managers less. Talk to the people who deal with your clients, providers, policy holders and injured workers. They know what is really going on.

It's ok

Current Employee - Attorney
    Current Employee - Attorney

Pros

There are some co-workers who are incredibly intelligent, kind, and hard working.

Cons

The work and deadlines never end.

Let the employees focus on real quality, not goals based on numbers.

Tiring Coriolis Effect - been circling the drain for years now, possible light at the end of the drainpipe though...

Current Employee - IT Analyst
    Current Employee - IT Analyst

Pros

There are many good, smart, hard-working people here. Not all, to be sure, but most of us just want to do good work. Front line managers are generally well-meaning, and allow a good work-life balance. As others have mentioned, good benefit packages.

Cons

We miss the pride of being the best Workers' Comp carrier. At some point, the narrative for State Fund became, "They're all too stupid to run their own company". So, from then on all the outside people that have been hired to run our company have perpetuated this "broad brush" paradigm. Many smart people have left during purges of the last few years. Now that we are writing more policy, we need more bodies - an entirely predictable outcome, for which our "strategic vision"-types seem to be unprepared...

Treat your people with professional courtesy and respect, stop acting like we're all idiots. Then, work on the ACTUAL idiots. Time for a paradigm change in perception from the outside! We have a new CEO - if he treats people like professionals, most will rise to that level of expectation - just like anywhere else...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supportive coworkers although stressful working environment due to the need for additional employees.

Former Employee - Workers Comp Claims Adjuster  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Workers Comp Claims Adjuster in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Great benefits, paid vacation/sick/floating days off. Great Adjuster training, yearly pay increases until you reach the top of the pay grade, potential for advancement.

Cons

Unending workload. As this a State Agency which recently experienced a reorganization, many non-State EE's were brought in to direct the reorganization. This severely affected EE moral when existing State EE's applied for vacant positions that we're filled with non State EE's. Lack of upper management and HR support through the transition.

Resume adapting to managing this State Agency by the standards set forth by the Civil Service System and cease the circumventing the Civil Service Hiring Guidelines.

Poor Leadership

Pros

Better benefits (especially pension) and job security than the private sector. Most of the people are pleasant and the organizational culture favors civility over grandstanding or aggression.

Cons

1) At one time, State Fund distinguished itself by offering superior customer service. The last CEO decided (no doubt, at the direction of the Board of Directors) that customer service is too expensive so all the service was jettisoned in favor of bringing down expenses. Now, most policyholders are paying much higher premiums for abysmal service and that is demoralising and embarrassing to anyone who takes pride in his or her work.
    2) State Fund has a deeply entrenched hierarchical structure. Over the last several years, executives have made a show of listening to rank and file employees but they never get beyond the information gathering stage to implement meaningful change.
    3) Executives appear to have complete freedom to turn their departments upside down and completely overhaul everything that is done based on promises to improve efficiency and reduce costs. These schemes tend to be based on the advice of outside consultants who are only superficially acquainted with the operations. When these plans backfire, the responsible consultants and executives go away, leaving the department in complete disarray and a new team of executives and consultants comes in to meddle and tinker. I am personally fed up and exhausted by the upheaval and I don't know if I can take any more.

Stop talking to the employees and start listening. Stop hiring consultants to tell you how to run the company. You have a tremendous amount of talent at your disposal (in spite of your efforts to drive away the most knowledgeable and experienced employees). Stop trying to run State Fund like a private carrier. State Fund serves a different market and operates under a different mandate than private carriers and some private enterprise practices (e.g. jacking up prices for small customers) are not appropriate and do not strengthen State Fund.

Once a great company, now a confused company

Former Employee - Loss Control Consultant
    Former Employee - Loss Control Consultant

Pros

Many employers cannot find work comp insurance coverage for a variety of reasons. It is nice to be the place that they can come and get coverage and know that you are a part of that. I had the chance to make good live long friends of my colleagues, and to this day we share a bond that will be ours to enjoy forever, no matter where we all end up working.

Cons

As with other true state employee jobs, there are good employees who truly love and care about their jobs and there are those that just go along for the ride on cruise control. The union creates as many problems as it fixes and this makes it difficult at times to create the professional atmosphere that I craved. Too many people were trying to use the union's power to help them do nothing and still get paid for it.

As for the work, sometimes the policyholders do feel that they are at the carrier of last resort, and at times it is impossible to defend the company and its corporate polices. In addition, claims adjusters are set up to fail with immense workloads so it is no wonder claims handling suffers as a result. In addition, they pay off too many claims liens for unapproved services so this increases costs for everyone and encourages providers to continue the practice of administering unapproved services.

I am heartbroken at the way this company has gone of late.

The last few years of my tenure were some of the most stessful years of my life. While I understand the need to downsize the company (necessary in my opinion), the way it was done was horrible. Friday night emails with jaw-dropping announcements are not the way to manage this. Senior management was horrible and some of the worst offenders are still there and to my understanding, have been promoted as well.

Mismanaged over past few years - with no end in sight.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

No longer a good place to work. But you could work on lowering your expectations, I guess.

Cons

Inadequate staffing to handle assigned workflow. Crappy computer systems (all designed in-house). Hires ex-military as supervisors , notwithstanding their lack of experience regarding workers comp. They forced employees to relocate when they "consolidated", then imposed layoffs -after people had uprooted families at considerable expense.

Stop awarding yourself bonuses and start treating people decently.

Bad management

Former Employee - WCCA  in  Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - WCCA in Stockton, CA

Pros

Flex schedule, teaches you how to become a claims adjuster, good benefits

Cons

Bad management, office culture is caddy, supervisors is always over your shoulder

Treat your employees like they are adults.

Good place turning bad

Pros

Working for a state gov't. agency has been wonderful, having medical insurance coverage is just one of the benefits that an employee can avail

Cons

Poor management, lousy pay, almost factory-like environment where no individualism is encouraged or valued. Highly political with the employees.

laid off

Former Employee - Wcit  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Wcit in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

great benefits and good people

Cons

layoff could have been avoided easily. workers comp premium has always been cyclical

think longer term. greed is NOT good

Worked for State Compensation Insurance Fund? Contribute to the Community!