www.sdfcu.org

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014
3.6

CEO

Great, but could use some major improvements.

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at State Department Federal Credit Union as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The only reason I gave 5 stars was because the pros outweighed the cons immensely. Majority of the staff here is extremely friendly and genuine. I felt welcomed and right at home the very moment I walked in. They train (1-2 weeks) you well, and provide a walk-through of how to do your job correctly. The work environment here is also oddly appealing. There's constantly new events going on hosted by the company, and it's a great morale booster, especially when your work load starts to get heavy. Also, the CEO is very admirable. She is very humble, and even takes time to converse with workers in their cubicles. This job provides great start up experience, and opportunities to grow within the company. Working for this company also proved to be very impressive on my résumé.

Cons

The SDFCU internship is "department" based. Many of the interns were placed in departments not relating to their interest or career field.

The only departments that I had issues interacting with was the IT team, and especially the mail center. The IT help-desk team needs more people, it was always short staffed, making it hard to finish any task. The mail center was really redundant. There was supposedly two people in there, but I only received help with my packages and mail from one individual — the intern. I would send e-mails and make phone calls to the other individual, Edwin, who's supposedly in charge down there, but he was unresponsive. I even came down to the mail center at different times during the day, but the door would remain shut and my knocks went unanswered. I began to just address the intern for my mailing needs throughout the entire internship. A major evaluation is needed in both departments.

Focus on fixing your core, before moving on towards expansion.

I have been working at State Department Federal Credit Union

Pros

Great work/life balance opportunities
    Challenging work
    Excellent, collaborative work environment

Cons

Advancement can be limited in some areas due to size of organization and lower turnover

Stay on your solid, progressive path.

Poorly Run

I worked at State Department Federal Credit Union

Pros

Location.
    Flexible hours.
    NO stress. Just sit at your desk and collect a paycheck.
    Pay is competitive.

Cons

Stifling. Change is not welcomed. Prefer to do the same things the same way as 50 years ago.

No growth. Not professionally (nor is it encouraged) nor as an organization. (Don't take my word for it, you can google credit unions performance).

Poor management. President shows up in yoga pants. People in positions they are not qualified for simply because they're "liked". Extremely political. Employees are considered 'little people' and are better seen and not heard.

Extremely siloed. Interdepartmental collaboration is not encouraged.

Very poor morale - no doubt due to the fact that accomplishments are not recognized, and know they are not valued.

Get rid of the CEO and cronies if you want the organization to grow.

Dysfunctional

Current Employee - Director in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at State Department Federal Credit Union

Pros

Pros: Nice Compensation, Metro Accessible, No Work Stress Environment

Cons

Toxic . Negative Atmosphere.

Executive team openly disparages colleagues. The disdain for each other and distrust that filters throughout the organization touches every management head resulting in a highly siloed organization.

From the top down, employees trickle in somewhere around 9:30-10, hours are very friendly, however, sense of urgency is lacking, resulting in a lack of overall growth. Very political for a small organization, relationships are purely based upon whether or not senior management team 'likes you' irrelevant of performance. Again - this is reflected in our low growth.

Board elections every 3 years is just plain good, common sense - do it. The cronyism has choked the organization. Fish stinks from the head down - change the C-team if you truly want to grow and serve your members.

Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at State Department Federal Credit Union

Pros

Advancement opportunities
    Salary
    Benefits
    Great group of colleagues
    Employee activities
    Location
    Flexible work schedule
    Metro accessible
    Stipends for parking and cellphone use
    Discounted movie tickets

Cons

Employees are inundated with utilizing mulitiple systems to perform required job duties interacting with customers to resolve problems and transactions.

It's important to have regular if not periodic visits to all departments interacting with staff.
    It's important to listen to employees directly involved in the day to day functions of the company.

More Cons than Pros

I worked at State Department Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Metro accessible, somewhat friendly atmosphere, average compensation.

Cons

Very political for such a small organization. High turn around. Upward mobility major issue.Top performers are not valued.

Focus on keeping the right employees for the jobs, get rid of the non productive ones and try to manage with a healthy attitude towards your most important assets: the employees.

Great Experience

I worked at State Department Federal Credit Union

Pros

Good compensation
    Strong excel skills learned
    Great employees that were very nice to work with and learn from
    Strong internship cooperation

Cons

Can be mundane and boring at time to do certain tasks.
    Separating and distributing mail is not the most fun task.

My advice would be to allow the interns the opportunity to move around in the company during the internship to learn more about the company.

Slow but very friendly

I worked at State Department Federal Credit Union

Pros

-Relaxed atmosphere
    -Flexible hours and breaks
    -Networking across all levels of management is easy

Cons

-Politics among senior management causes disturbances on all levels
    -Monotonous work
    -No incentives to perform higher than what is expected

Focus on the bottom line more than the politics