State Farm

www.statefarm.com

State Farm Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.5 1,475 reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.

Ed Rust Jr.

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education(in 88 reviews)

• The company has a good work environment and works to help employees meet their needs(in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent(in 19 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits(in 34 reviews)

1,475 Employee Reviews

Personal Lines Representative (Agent's office)

Personal Lines Representative (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGood way to learn the insurance business.

ConsState Farm Catastrophic Claims department is a hot mess. Would like advancement opportunities beyond moving to Phoenix/Atlanta/Dallas. Lack of any real benefit package at the agency staff level.

Great company.

Web Specialist (Current Employee) Bloomington, IL

ProsLoyal to employees, fair wages, good performance and good work ethic is rewarded. Lots of opportunity for career growth and advancement.

ConsHas the expected issues that come with a large company. Expect to be flexible and adaptable, change is inevitable.

great company

Claims Representative (Former Employee) DuPont, WA

Prosstable, good pay, good morale

Conscubicle, stuffy air flow, weird hours

Advice to Senior Managementkeep making the environment fun

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of opportunity

Prosplenty of opportunity, great supervisors and trainers

Conspay isn't competitive, poor choice in the new hires in 2013-2014

State Farm Sales Representative

Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) Clinton Township, MI

ProsVariety of tasks to do during the day so you aren't just stuck doing one task. Able to interact with customers directly which has alot of advantages if you are good at working with people.

ConsOccasional volatile customers during times of a claims crisis, such as a fire in the home or severe flooding in the basement.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Very disappointed that "out the box" thinkers are discouraged

Supervisor (Former Employee) Bloomington, IL

ProsGood salary, good benefits, great for those who don't mind working in a cube.

ConsThere is no work/life balance in management as they advertise. They expect you to take your work home with you. They have lost that family touch that they have been known for throughout the community. They use fear tactics and can never seem to finish a project after spending millions of dollars on it.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to be more open-minded to those who have ideas that are traditional, and promote based on work ethic and job and not on who is acquainted with whom.

Great job to get your foot in the insurance world.

Insurance Sales Representative (Current Employee) Rego Park, NY

Prosprofessional work environment , great training provided, depending on the agency you elect to work for you may make a good living.

ConsALOT of customer service needs to be done and not enough time for sales. no benefits.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more customer service reps.

Used to be great, now merely good.

Customer Service Representative/Billing (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, Health insurance, Dental, Vision Care, 401k, sick time. Most co-workers are nice.

ConsLow salary compared to other similar positions in other companies. *Minor con* Doesn't award 3rd week of paid vacation until after the 15th year with the company. Most other Fortune 500 companies offer a 3rd week after 10 years.
    Major con: They do not promote from within the department unless you have a degree of some kind. It doesn't have to be insurance or business related, either. Someone with 2 years in another department who has a degree is considered a better choice to be a manager in a completely different department *before* an employee who has been doing the job in that department for 8-10 years who doesn't have the piece of paper. This is a major beef as the other big companies I've worked for valued experience as much, or more, than a degree. The new managers to our department, mostly, have no customer service or telephone experience and have to be trained by their employees. We chuckle when a caller asks for a supervisor because the supervisor needs us to help solve the issue anyway.

Experienced reps are fleeing the department to get away from the non-stop stress and the hamster wheel of the daily grind. Running fast and getting nowhere. These experienced people are being replaced by new employees who are inadequately trained due to the pressure to get them on the phone to get the call volume down.
    Our department used to stress "one at a time with quality" but now everything is metrics based. Since our department deals with billing issues, it is not possible to meet the unrealistic metric goals and still do quality work. This causes call backs and that causes long hold times.
    Our work is so far behind due to the focus on answering phones, at least a third, if not fully half, of the bills to the policy holders are sent out with errors. This isn't good customer service, no matter how quickly you get off that call.
    Our department uses overtime to process work which should be done during the week.
    All this is down to upper management being guided by people from Agency rather than employees in the trenches. Management is reluctant to encourage the agents to train their staff properly in the use of the tools available to them. As a result, staff persons have to call in to get basic information they can find for themselves. *I am not blaming the agent's staff people*. Everyone knows they have a thankless job. It's not their fault that the sales goals are set so high that they have no time to do anything other than sell. When I first started, there were agency classes to train the staff people in the intricacies of the tools available to them to find information in their systems without having to call our department. Many, many hundreds of calls per week could be avoided if there was still a focus on training and retaining people. It's a shame, because the company used to be so much better about how they treat their employees.
    Depending on where you work, there is too much outward embracing of Christianity in the workplace and no tolerance for other religious points of view. This is not something one can bring up as it just causes one to be looked at as a 'trouble maker'.
    A minor complaint: all the fun perks for employees such as the Christmas party, employee appreciation days, holiday meals off site with your team, etc. have been discontinued. Those small morale-boosters during the year really helped make SF not just a place to work, but a great place to work. I miss those days.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the 'one at a time with quality' mindset. Get rid of the metrics for our department as that tool is not making people work better or more efficiently, it only makes people try to get off the phone as soon as they can, which causes callbacks which increases the call volume. What's the point of someone taking 80 calls a day if 40 of those people call back because their question wasn't properly addressed in the first call? *Focus on raising employee morale.* Make sure there are adequate levels of compensation to retain experienced employees in the department instead of allowing them to be lured away because you're not willing to pay them what they're worth.

Working in an Agent's Office is fine if you enjoy having tons of responsibility and virtually ZERO chance of promotion

Licensed Insurance Representative In Agent's Office (Former Employee) Independence, MO

ProsI learned so much in a short time period while working in agent's office because you have to in order to survive. It really is "sink-or-swim" due to the massive variety of responsibilities this job entails. If you love SELLING, maybe State Farm is for you, but I enjoyed helping customers more and enjoyed the work for the most part. There is constant variety in the work & State Farm is always making changes, so your day will never be the same as the next. Co-workers in a good agent's office can be nearly like a second family.

ConsUnless you are interested in becoming a State Farm agent, as a staff member - there is NO upward mobility & likely not much more pay either if you remain in the same office. If you enjoy your job now, just know that there nothing better awaiting you for all of your dedicated service, knowledge & hard work. State Farm is moving away from the traditional customer service roles their loyal customers have come to know & love them by. They are in the process of taking away most of the service capabilities that agent's & their staff have taken care of for their customers since the beginning of the company. No longer is a customer going to get the reassurance of a familiar face at their local agent's office when they have a big claim & need assistance...they will be directed to call a 1-800#. This is just the start of what's to come. The future careers of staff in agent's offices is in extreme jeopardy...their roles are going away. So unless you're a aggressive salesperson who lives to sell, sell, sell - you likely won't have a job at some point in the near future. The close-knit office can be wonderful, but can also be a massive issue with back-stabbing & out-of-control bullying from co-workers. The agent's are independent agent's & their staff is employed by the agent & not State Farm, so an agent's staff is not protected by the corp. safeguards that would prevent many of the harrassment, favortism & utter different set of rules for some co-workers. If the agent turns a blind-eye & refuses to correct inter-office problems - you're left with little choice other than to find another job or get a lawyer.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf State Farm intends to make so many significant changes that greatly impact their agent's office's - they need to step-up & make staff members in agent's offices State Farm employees - pay them as employees with real benefits like other employees of the company & protect the agent's staff with the same reporting processes, safeguards & oversights that employees have in corporate offices. State Farm should acknowledge that the agent's staff members are what has built State Farm to be the enormous company it is today and treat them as the valuable asset that they really are. The top leaders within the company have forgotten that agent's staff position is the ONLY job within the company where you are responsible for having extensive knowledge about every product sold by State Farm, need to be able to answer questions on demand & with a customer sitting face-to-face with you at any point in your day with no time to prepare. Leadership should consider that when they're eliminating the jobs of the folks who work very hard every day & are the face of the company to the customer & do whatever it takes to live up to the expectations of the customers. Another thing...State Farm should remember that they have some of the industry's most dedicated loyal customers who diligently paid in their premiums for all these years when they're making the huge sweeping changes that will leave the same long-term customers feeling disregarded & alienated by the company they were sold on the promise that they could count on in their time in need....1-800#'s & discussing your problems with strangers rarely give customers "warm-fuzzies" that they have come to expect through the years.

Dissatisfied

Claims Associate - Express (Former Employee)

Prospays for insurance licenses (and prep classes)

Conspoor management and terrible work environment

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!