State Farm
www.statefarm.com Bloomington, IL 5000+ Employees

State Farm Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

3.5 1,281 reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.

Ed Rust Jr.

1,281 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education"
    in 76 reviews
  • "Work environment is good as well as other employees were great to work with"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Agents are considered "independent contractors" with no benefits but are treated like "employees"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Employees, while they used to welcome the extra pay, feel the work-life balance is skewed to work life"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

This company has changed

Claims Associate (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than a year

ProsYou can move around after 6 months to a year. Benefits are great. A lot of great programs to be involved in.

ConsPay is horrible compared to other insurance companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to pay better.. PAY IS HORRIBLE!!!! and offer better incentives for their employees like work from home and OT. and better processes.

overworked understaffed

I have been working at State Farm full-time

Prosthe people- coworkers and management are great. They are the only good thing going right now.

Constoo much work, not enough people. A ton of temps brought in to help with the current workload. Gross underestimation of staffing needs . Lots of change and upheavel with office closures. No more local or regional control. Everything is now "Enterprise Led" by the mother ship back in Bloomington IL

Advice to Senior Managementits appreciated that you are now trying to help with workload issues. Hold on to good people. Get workloads to manageable levels. The overtime is nice sometimes but work life balance is still hard with the volume.

Just Ok

I have been working at State Farm full-time

ProsNot the same each day.

ConsSOO much to learn if you're not used to insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to the point when training and raise the pay for team members.

Now hiring robots

Express Claims Associate (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent Benefits decent pay casual attire.

ConsMicro Management at its finest and if your numbers match your good if they don't your out and they don't care cause they will just start hiring again. your daily schedule changes every minute so you better keep up or your adherence is shot. You can get 10 different answers to the same question from a Team Manager but you pay the price if you don't follow the everyday all the full of crap SCP'S. Don't know why I stayed so long. could if has a real job by now. One were you are not timed are have to clock in and out for the bathroom and if yiu are 2 mins late on occasion is not a crime.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Robots is what you want do nothing you find them. There is always someone willing to be one but my advice come down get off your high horse and see how people are really being treated and some people have come a long way for these jobs so they just go with the flow so they want be on the chopping block. Micro robotic is not the way trust me only a matter of time before people see though the gifts and good benefits and will be leaving in droves.

Going in the Wrong Direction

Agency Producer (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than a year

ProsDepending upon your office, if you are working for an agent, you might work with nice people. Close group of people that know and understand each other well.

ConsPersonal service will soon become a thing of the past... The company is building phone farms all over the U.S. and is beginning to transfer auto claims to corporate facilities, and soon all service issues will be handled outside the office.

State Farm is everywhere, and you always have to worry about another agency poaching business, even if the customers are already with your agency, they may accidentally call another agency and be sold another product line right under your nose (has happened countless times).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get rid of the personal touch, and pay your agents better commission, or you soon won't have any agents.

I worked at an agent's office. I answered phones and made sales calls

Office Representative (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at State Farm full-time for less than a year

ProsPotential to make lots of money if your agent gives you commission.

ConsI was not receiving commission though I was writing lots of new business for my agent. My pay was not very good and my agent was extremely greedy.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees.

Customer Service

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at State Farm part-time for more than a year

ProsWorking in a small office with being apart of an agent's team it, showed me the true meaning of Hard work and dedication.

ConsThis position has no potential room for growth within the company. I appreciate the opportunity, but I am ready to enter a position where I can put my degree to use.

Good first job

Intern (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at State Farm as an intern for less than a year

Prosworking hours revolved around my school time. Easy work. calm and tranquil environment. build a close relationship with workers. some events are fun. pay was a little above minimum but i was only a intern. great place to learn if interested in insurance

ConsTelemarketing is a must. Boring at times. Individuals will be rude. with out licensing you really cant do much but transfer calls, file papers, and telemarketing. since each agent sets up pay and commission it is a bit troublesome to get the pay you want.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally needs a better claims and faster response when calling headquarters. It always takes over an hour on wait time to fix problems and customers get upset.

State Farm

Claim Processor (Current Employee)
Columbia, MO

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company has a good work environment and works to help employees meet their needs

ConsManagement fails to recognize valuable assets when they are presented. Unless you know someone in the company, you will start at entry level and have to work your way up, even when you are more qualified than other individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your valuable assets

Lots of career opportunities!

I have been working at State Farm

ProsWork-Life Balance is great and management are very considerate and flexible with work schedules when needed.

ConsA lot of process overhead which in turn burns a lot of time and resources just to get your work done.

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State Farm reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for State Farm CEO Ed Rust Jr. All 1,281 reviews posted anonymously by State Farm employees.