State Farm

Updated January 29, 2015
1,905 Reviews
3.5
1,905 Reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.
1,053 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 106 reviews)

• Great training program, plenty of opportunities to advance and great benefits package (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 28 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

State Farm is a great company.

Current Employee - Office Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company was great to work for. I enjoy my job and speaking with customers. The company did right by the customers.

Cons

Longevity isn't a sure thing as the industry is rapidly training. In certain departments you may hit a ceiling and unable to move forward as you would like or have expected.

There are great people working withing the agencies that should be considered for positions outside the offices to expand opportunities.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I worked at State Farm

Pros

-Support from management
    -Friendly atmosphere
    -Pension plan
    -Many opportunities for growth
    -Job stability

Cons

-I do not have any cons that I can think of.

I am grateful for the opportunity that I had to work for State Farm...It was a great place and made many good friends. I would recommend this company to anyone who wants to build a long term career.

My advice to management would be to implement MBA rotational programs in order to attract a greater pool of talented candidates into the organization.

Great place to forge a career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Great work/life balance, good benefits, strong focus on and support for ongoing career development. Opportunities to make a significant business impact. Nice flat management structure. The company takes pride in its history, culture and reputation.

Cons

Salary ranges were reasonable, but not overly competitive with opportunities in less isolated/rural geographies. Culture, while well-knit, can feel exclusionary at times.

Office Manager-State Farm Agency

Current Employee - Office Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked for SF for 8 years on the agency side. I don't have one complaint. My pay is very good 65K plus a year. Time off is great and office culture is amazing. Working under and Agent vs SF Corporate allows the agent to make decisions. Working for in an office is like any other small business each situation is unique.

Cons

Anyone who works in Agency that complains about the office or agent the work for its simple leave. If you are a good team member who knows what they are doing and does it will there are plenty of good agency. There are many agents that pay well, repeat their team members and make working in insurance fun. People also need to understand that State Farm have no control over how agents manage their employees. Most long term team members consider this a major PLUS..

Work on operations. It is frustrating for team members to have 30 minute hold times when trying to get help from our SF departments.

A decent company

Current Employee - Change Coordinator
    Current Employee - Change Coordinator

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

State Farm is family focused. The people are great to work with. State Farm seems to be secure, having recently passed 90 years.

Cons

if you are a contractor looking to get hired on, this can be a very long process. There are some here that have been contractors for 10+ years. people are told there is a hiring freeze while people are getting hired on.

Great company and perks... it just doesn't pay enough.

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Incentives! There are lots of promotions and the agents are business owners so perks are varied by office.

Cons

No set training when in an agency office. Very busy and sometimes overwhelming.

Have one set way of training and do things in all offices.

Great company!

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Sharon Owens is a great boss. It was a warm learning environment with great benefits.

Cons

Difficult place to work if you struggle in an office setting.

intern

Current Employee - Sales Marketing Specialist-Agent Staff in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Marketing Specialist-Agent Staff in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at State Farm as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours and little pay

Cons

little pay, very boring, not very good sales experience

nothing of note

Great Stability, Slow Growth

Current Employee - Office Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Stable, dependable, predictable, honest, ethical.

Cons

Slow to react to new industry trends, afraid of taking risks, slow advancement process.

State Farm is largely perceived as an old man's company. It needs a facelift both externally and internally.

Love it

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

They make you feel like you're important. They encourage you to reach your full potential.

Cons

I personally think your growth depends on the supervisor you are assigned. The benefits are VERY good, but not great ie: Medical insurance. Not easy to move up based on competition for the same role within the company. Lots of competition with well qualified people. Better have your sights set.

Retention, retention, retention. Some of my coworkers are on the fence based on lack of comparable jobs to go to but if given the option, might consider leaving...