State Farm Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
2133 reviews filtered by
3.5
2,133 Reviews
State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.
1,143 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 106 reviews)

• Great training program, plenty of opportunities to advance and great benefits package (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 28 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 41 reviews)

1. customer service agent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springdale, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springdale, AR

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Building relationships with the clients

Cons

Need to listen to ideas from employees..Need more pay increases

2. It is a good place to learn and improve

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

It is very flexible for the schdule, but it may depend on different employer. It is good to ask questions for everything you concern.

Cons

Not too much teamwork jobs. It is more about individual work, if you want to gain more experience about teamwork, communicate to the employers is very important

3. Great company! The people and cuslture are what makes this company thrive!

Current Employee - Claims Team Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Team Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and very competitive pay. Very well managed company that puts its customers and people first. Lots of upward mobility and secure place in the industry leading to greater job stability.

Cons

A little bureaucratic but to be expected at a large company.

5. Overall great place to work

Current Employee - IT Manager in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Security, Work/Life balance, Ability to move to a wide variety of positions based on interest

Cons

Politics, somewhat difficult to move from department to department due to heavy processes, very conservative environment

Agency Intern

Current Employee - Agency Intern
    Current Employee - Agency Intern

I have been working at State Farm (Less than a year)

Pros

This has been a great place to grow and learn about the world of insurance. Good boss, great team, and easy environment to work in. Great sales training and I've learned a lot about customer service. As a whole, State Farm is definitely on the up-swing. They have been doing very well lately, but it will be interesting to see what happens to them in the next decade with self-driving cars.

Cons

The salary sucks. With a college degree, there are a whole lot better jobs that you can go into. Unless your want to be an agent one day, there isn't much use sticking around for very long. After the internship they require you to move so there is no ability to stay in your same town. Now, I live in a small town so this may be different in bigger cities.

7. Internship

I worked at State Farm

Pros

Learning the ins and outs of the insurance business

Cons

none to make a comment about

Advice to Management

none

8. Operator

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at State Farm

Pros

Fantastic Managers all around, learned a lot!

Cons

Career Growth was an issue

9. Claims Adjuster- Express

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, management really cares about its employees, tremendous opportunity for growth. I really enjoyed my time working for this company

Cons

There's really not much I can say against this company. The express segment is new and changing/growing constantly, so it is necessary to be able to adapt to new changes to claims procedures, but even this is well-managed and in no way extreme.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Hopefully more companies will replicate this successful model of top down management in their own companies

Professional and FUN company you can creat your permanent career with!!

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tulsa, OK

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Self development is very important and they nurture your career and professional development. Many other companies stifle personal growth, but with State Farm you are always encouraged to continue developing your skills, education, and business experiences to become an asset. There truly is no ceiling to your future development if you work for it!! :) I started in an entry level position and was able to promote within the company to my dream position, because they acknowledged the hard work, dedication, and commitment I had invested into my career advancement. Because of that acknowledgement they assisted in my advancement and you can't say that about many other companies at all. Also, they treat their customers as a priority as well. When I worked as an adjuster for this company, it was during hurricane Katrina. There were a lot of poor coverages in the press of this company, but I can tell you from seeing behind the scenes they thought constantly about their customers well being and offered many solutions for people affected by disaster to seek refuge. Just one example was handing out $2,500 advances to customers with covered claims to get started finding a place to stay and purchase basic necessities until a true evaluation for payment could be made. This is just one small example I can think of.
    Competitive salary (8 out of 10), Family oriented (several married couples, mothers/fathers, sons/daughters, etc.), consistent pay raises, fair and encouraging employee evaluations.

Cons

As with every company I suppose, State Farm was not exempt from office politics. It seemed as if management would be untouchable. If a bad situation / altercation occurred between a manager and one of their employees the outcome would always favor the member of management.

Advice to Management

Please consider employees that don't have a degree. Sometimes people may not have a degree, but will work circles around college graduates and can be more educated as well.

11. Great Company to work for!!!

I have been working at State Farm full-time

Pros

- Great benefits and work culture. Work life balance is very good.

Cons

- None major. Promotion opportunities limited because of competition and low attrition.

Advice to Management

None