State Farm Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
2111 reviews filtered by
3.5
2,111 Reviews
State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.
1,142 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 106 reviews)

• Great training program, plenty of opportunities to advance and great benefits package (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 28 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 41 reviews)

LOVE THIS COMPANY!

Current Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Louisville, KY

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They really care about their insureds and provide the best products to meet their everyday needs. Passionate about protecting their insureds.

Cons

I wish I worked for the company and not my agent, more benefits. You work for the agent, so it is a small business situation.

2. LCR

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

good benefits, good pay, good company

Cons

can get stressful and busy at times

3. Bank Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company who really care about their employees. It also has many opportunities to move around through different departments within the Enterprise, making it a long-term employer in my eyes.

Cons

Working for a large company, you will never know everyone.

5. Data Scientist

I worked at State Farm full-time

Pros

I worked as a predictive modeler and have a very good overall experience. The team is diverse and everybody brings something new to the table. The opportunity to grow within the company is there as well. They also have a very fun park!

Cons

Location. Besides the humidity and terrible weather in the midwest in general I think this is a solid company using data-driven decisions.

Advice to Management

Offer competitive salaries so people stay with the company. Turnover isn't really high but as the demand for data scientists is increasing a lot more talent is drawn towards greener pastures.

Professional and FUN company you can creat your permanent career with!!

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tulsa, OK

I worked at State Farm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Self development is very important and they nurture your career and professional development. Many other companies stifle personal growth, but with State Farm you are always encouraged to continue developing your skills, education, and business experiences to become an asset. There truly is no ceiling to your future development if you work for it!! :) I started in an entry level position and was able to promote within the company to my dream position, because they acknowledged the hard work, dedication, and commitment I had invested into my career advancement. Because of that acknowledgement they assisted in my advancement and you can't say that about many other companies at all. Also, they treat their customers as a priority as well. When I worked as an adjuster for this company, it was during hurricane Katrina. There were a lot of poor coverages in the press of this company, but I can tell you from seeing behind the scenes they thought constantly about their customers well being and offered many solutions for people affected by disaster to seek refuge. Just one example was handing out $2,500 advances to customers with covered claims to get started finding a place to stay and purchase basic necessities until a true evaluation for payment could be made. This is just one small example I can think of.
    Competitive salary (8 out of 10), Family oriented (several married couples, mothers/fathers, sons/daughters, etc.), consistent pay raises, fair and encouraging employee evaluations.

Cons

As with every company I suppose, State Farm was not exempt from office politics. It seemed as if management would be untouchable. If a bad situation / altercation occurred between a manager and one of their employees the outcome would always favor the member of management.

Advice to Management

Please consider employees that don't have a degree. Sometimes people may not have a degree, but will work circles around college graduates and can be more educated as well.

"Good environment, poor work/life balance"

Current Employee - Catastrophe Claim Representative in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Catastrophe Claim Representative in Irving, TX

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

State Farm has a lot of great benefits that most companies dont offer, the biggest of which is a pension. They give vacation, PT and sick time upfront!! My team manager is the best. They do not work the normal 8 hour day but rather 7 hours and 45 minutes.

Cons

The biggest down side is the scheduling, most departments are run like a call center with crazy shifts that change every six months. You could go from a 1230-9 Monday through Friday to a 8-430 Monday through Friday 1230-9 on Saturday with Sunday and Tuesday off. Split days off, split shifts, its just a little much to swallow. Also the pay is not as competitve as it could be compared to other firms.

Advice to Management

Change how you do scheduling, though you may see scheduling is based on business need in a live environment it doesnt make sense.

Claims processor

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Great atmosphere, work was very fast paced which made the day go by quickly. Management was great, allowed you to make decisions which you thought were correct

Cons

The restructuring of the company has and will lead to many employees losing their job. It's too bad they have decided to close smaller offices and only operate out of mega hubs.

Advice to Management

Keep your employee's more up to date with changes. It seemed like meetings were far and few between and didn't give very much information.

9. Clerical

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Learning new skills in a different industry

Cons

I have nothing to put for cons.

10. It was a good experience, highly recommended

I worked at State Farm

Pros

Learned an incredible amount in the short time that I was there. Office and people were amazing, willing to help at any time.

Cons

I can't think of any cons to share!

11. Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and work life balance

Cons

Mixed messages, to much change with not a lot of thought