State Farm Reviews

718 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.

Pros
  • Great time off & work-life balance options (in 106 reviews)

• Great benefits package; Decent starting salary; Opportunities to build new skills (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 28 reviews)

• no benefits unless agent pays for them (in 41 reviews)

Started Great.....then "Future State" rolled out

Former Employee - Claim Processor in Johns Creek, GA
    Former Employee - Claim Processor in Johns Creek, GA

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I received great training as a claim processor in auto. Benefits were from day one, except vesting for pension, thats five years. Overtime available iffyou have the flexibility to work it you can increase your pay. Insurance education paid for.

Cons

Extremely low pay by industry standards. Metrics and timekeeping that mean you have to schedulenyour bathroom breaks like a kindergartner. SF seems to only want to have a call center enviornment no matter your position and they are slowly pushing everyone who doesn't flee in that direction. Large employee attrition and employee apathy numbers created a really un-fun work enviornment.

Advice to Management

Prove that you can hit the metrics for just one week while enjoying your job even slightly. ....AND THEN start enforcing tug Em on everyone else. And i wouldn't get so many emails asking if my new company's hiring. But I know you won't. ..and honestly my referral bonuses thank you.

Overall a good company with exception of the very low salary and constantly "realigning".

Current Employee - Underwriting Service Assistant in Dunwoody, GA
    Current Employee - Underwriting Service Assistant in Dunwoody, GA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office environment is very pleasant. Great technology. Some of the managers are great. Benefits and bonuses.

Cons

Some of the employees are very unprofessional and make it a challenging environment to work in. The salary reflects this. Executive Mgmt makes changes and everyone else has to scramble to realign causing chaos and feeling of "does anyone know what they're doing?" Sometimes we feel like bodies and not valued employees.

Advice to Management

We're not just bodies, ensure we're thoroughly trained to meet all our customer's needs and give remarkable service. Turnover is terrible because we don't earn a decent wage to live well for the work we do. Entry level Admins earn 15 hr. Overtime is not the answer. When we are trained to do complex work but not with an increase in pay is not right.

3. Casualty Claim Rep

Current Employee - Casualty Claim Representative in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Casualty Claim Representative in Irving, TX

I have been working at State Farm (More than a year)

Pros

Great comprehensive benefit package, job security, knowledgeable management, positive team environment. The training is very good for the basics of casualty claim required knowledge.

Cons

Stewardship role- claim volume/work load is unrealistic in order to meet the service level objectives. Impossible to provide the expected remarkable service due to heavy call volume, multi-tasking for an average of 60 to 70 claims. In order to meet the SLO's, you must work a minimum of 6 hours overtime per week. Employees are not allowed to use their vacation time until January 2016 due to shortage of casualty claim reps. Claim Reps are expected to answer Agent what if questions while trying to handle their own load of claim. this produces a high volume of phone calls and causes disruption while trying to handle your own load of claims.

Advice to Management

The company is re-structuring right now, they should have expected the attrition that would occur in the casualty unit. No one wants this role, it is very stressful. Due to executive management, the claim reps are suffering, can't use vacation time, being expected and forced to work overtime to meet their service level expectations. Employees are suffering from stress and the job becomes quickly unbearable for this reason. Management should have a designated claim rep or assign one day a week to a specific claim rep to accept the non stop incoming calls from Agents and adjust the work load accordingly. Hire some temporary independents to help support the claim load. Management knew this was coming down the pike and they just keep dumping more claims on the over burdened claim reps which is irresponsible management.

5. ILR Claims associate

Pros

Nice work environment, decent benefits package

Cons

Low pay, too many admin, schedule and shift changes. Things change everyday...no stability. High turnaround

Advice to Management

Change is good sometimes, but not all the time.

6. Licensed Customer Service Representative

Current Employee - Licensed Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Licensed Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE

Pros

Hours are great, no cold calling

Cons

salary, chronic customer issues, particularly with billing

7. Senior Insurance consultant

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at State Farm (More than a year)

Pros

Exponential income growth. Great experience builder.

Cons

Prepare to work odd hours seven days a week

Advice to Management

Registered Agents should have less control over paying their employees

8. Work place

Pros

Great place for experience. If you work for an independent agent they are very nice a laid back owners. Most days are very calm and stress free.

Cons

Cold calling is stuff, they normally offer a very low salary. Although they pay commission its tough to reach it and if you are off by a little you wont get anything that you wrote that month. You have deal with a lot of upset people because their insurance goes up.

Advice to Management

Its important for them to reward their employees with a better commission structure. I also feel that in this offices training is very minimum. They should spend more time with new and current employees to make sure they learn all the product.

9. Overall, a decent place to work

I have been working at State Farm full-time

Pros

Base salary plus commission, definitely a livable wage.

Cons

Insurance rates are a little high and customers get annoyed but thats really the only issue. underwriting and service departments aren't great either.

10. State Farm

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at State Farm as an intern

Pros

It's a good internship work and practice interpersonal skills. What's more, I can be familiar with work process.

Cons

The environment is not so good, and salary is not ideal. i can't make a big progress.

Advice to Management

I have not many suggestions because I don't know how to make you better.

11. Sales Representative

Current Employee - Insurance Account Representative in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Insurance Account Representative in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at State Farm (Less than a year)

Pros

Broad range of products and competitively priced

Cons

Low commission rates and low salary

Advice to Management

Increase ability to earn a decent salary for top contributors

Showing 718 of 2,713 reviews