State Farm

www.statefarm.com

State Farm Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.5 1,475 reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.

Ed Rust Jr.

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education(in 87 reviews)

• The company has a good work environment and works to help employees meet their needs(in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent(in 18 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits(in 33 reviews)

1,475 Employee Reviews

Great until about a year ago

Asst (Current Employee) Unknown (Bangladesh)

ProsIt was good while it lasted but very glad it's coming to an end.

ConsEmployees have no where to go when there are problems. HR is for the company , RENEMBER THAT ! Open Door ! It's a joke ! Do your self a Huge Favor don't have your insurance with the company you work for, it's not in your best interest.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember everything comes back 10 fold and your also an emoyee with people above you. The old saying "treat people the way you would like to be treated" don't treat them the way you need to to climb the ladder you to wi get knocked down if you treat people badly.

age 50 and yu are done

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)

Prosgood job for first 10 yrs

Consdeceiving and incompetent management, hidden force outs of older employees with high pay grades, chaotic reorganization semi-annually, worthless human resource dept, communicates remarkable service yet is understaffed at front lines across the board, very questionable handling of overtime law.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are so far out of touch with the people who make this company function it is pathetic. Staffing models are archaic and not any where close to what is needed to meet your "remarkable service quest". Do you have any idea the low moral of your workforce - the very same people who meet the public daily?
    Go back to school.

New Market TICA beware!!!!

Agent Owner (Current Employee) Riverside, CA

ProsAble to "be your own boss" (but not really)

ConsSo many cons:
    * Low commission
    * Inexperienced Sales Leadership (a 3 year agent does not make a successful sales leader)
    * Expectations are not realistic
    * Saturation of the market with State Farm Agents - it used to mean something to be a Good Neighbor, but now if you are willing to spend your own money they will hire you
    * Costs going up to be an agent - more items that you need to purchase including brochures, etc…
    * Really just a glorified employee - yes you are your own boss, but really only when it comes to spending your own money to benefit State Farm
    * NO ownership of your book of business

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink how you are growing your agency base. Don't put "leaders" into positions just because they had a few good years as an agent - this does not make them competent leaders . LIsten to your agents and give them time to grow their agency - don't spit them out after 1 year because they have not grown as fast as you would like. Too many people getting into the agency side just to become sales leaders. Don't you want more 20, 30, 40 year agents?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employees treated like cattle.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsThe benefits are fantastic and they offer a lot of sick days.

ConsThe company has moved from respecting and valuing employees to seeing them as statistics and warm bodies to process claims. They are moving people around from one operation center to the next every two years or so. If you aren't willing to pack up and move at the whim of corporate hacks, you're likely get laid off. We recently started undergoing a process to reapply for our jobs again (all employees have to do this), and when you submit your application you get a highly insulting email basically saying that State Farm reserves the right to terminate you for no reason. There is an ambulance at the office almost every day. It is not unusual for employees to have stress-related ailments. I have had supervisors who blatantly insulted my intelligence, made inappropriate comments about my personal life, and who have never done my job and have no idea what I do or how to manage their employees. Working here has been a dehumanizing experience. I am seeking employment elsewhere.

Claims

Claims Processor (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe benefits are surely a positive.

ConsNot family friendy any longer. Things are very chaotic. Training is a joke. Very unorganized and you get thrown out to the wolves with little assistance. New work shift dictates you must work multiple 10:30-7:00 shifts

worst training

Prosmonthly bonus was nice and timely

Consno consistency from agents day to day

Advice to Senior Managementnew on hands training

Salary

Claims Associate-Express (Current Employee) Dunwoody, GA

ProsJob security, recognized company, lots of opportunities if you can handle the micro managing.

ConsHorrible work environment, ultra micro management. Work in auto claims were employees are monitored excessively, so much so, it takes away from enjoying the job. It's a call center environment on STEROIDS! Beware for those who are looking to break into the insurance industry. Training is great; however, once on the floor, every breath you take is monitored, every second has to be accounted for.
    - penalized (out of adherence for bathroom breaks)
    - Strict on phone call monitoring
    - managers and team leads listen to your calls, sit by you twice a week, have one-on-ones...really is too much. Coaching moments is constant.

- Salary is very low for the amount of stress, and responsibility. Starting out at less than 30K a year is unacceptable.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou will have a high turnover if you continue with the ultra-micro managing. Understand a company needs to monitor productivity to be competitive;however, this level of managing, is extremely stressful, and at times degrading. It is giving SF a bad name for work/balance which is an oxymoron for the company being in the insurance industry.

Not so good....

Auto Claims Processor (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with some really nice people at State Farm but I felt like I was in jail the entire time I worked there. From being told when I could use the bathroom, to being expected to follow a script, I didn't feel like I could be my own person and that they wanted me to be their robot.

ConsPay is low for the type of stuff you deal with. People calling to yell and scream about things that aren't your fault is just too much. I developed TMJ, gained weight, and was unable to sleep by the time I finally left State Farm. My relationships suffered and I cried all the time. It just wasn't worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are going to continue to lose good people with all the changes you make as well as empty promises of opportunities that aren't really there.

Awful

Agent (Former Employee) Kirkland, WA

ProsIt was close to my home

ConsThe owner is an unethical bigot, cheat and our paychecks bounced frequently.

Not sure what kind of neighbor

ProsName brand product that has convenient locations.

ConsIf you want professional service? Go elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe service people? Are agents. Your corporate culture stinks.

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!