State Farm Reviews

Updated September 20, 2014
1,600 Reviews
3.5
1,600 Reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 88 reviews)

• The company has a good work environment and works to help employees meet their needs (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 19 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Ole Boy Network

I worked at State Farm

Pros

Decent pay, easy to make a living

Cons

PHONEY management. To get ahead you're expected to suck up, become a managers favorite, engage in useless conversation that has nothing to do with work, gossip, and act like someone you're not. It's like high school and utterly ridiculous. Stress isn't worth the money.

Appreciate others for who they are and the great job they do, not for how much they stroke your sad egos.

Unorganized

I worked at State Farm

Pros

Good experience in office setting

Cons

Unorganized (it was a new start up)

College degree required for $12.50 an hour, WTF!

Current Employee - Mutual Funds Customer Care  in  Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Mutual Funds Customer Care in Richardson, TX

I have been working at State Farm as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, and great company culture.

Cons

The pay is a joke, and don't expect to go in wanting to climb any type of latter to success.

You'll never attain top talent until you're willing to pay for top talent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I'm still in complete shock at the way they run their business

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at State Farm as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

there are no Pro's to this job~ I met a couple of nice people but everyone is under a ton of stress

Cons

I was sent there as a temp and let go after 2 days, hadn't even started training yet, another girl they let go after 3 hours ! so far to date I think over 30 temps have been sent there and let go ~ complete ridiculousness

really ? Since when do you fire people who haven't even been trained, none of your employees could even take the time to help or train anyone~ and this isn't just from me but for alot of others that have been sent to your company. Does anyone know who is running this company ? Cause they are going to run you into bankruptcy.

Terrible Auto Claims Management

Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Experienced in non-call center environment.

Cons

Lack of experience in call center environment.

Get rid of the "old guard" and bring in management that know what they are actually doing.

The only people who stay with the organization are close to retirement!

Former Employee - Complex Claims Representative  in  Concordville, PA
    Former Employee - Complex Claims Representative in Concordville, PA

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good health benefits and a good 401K, you can also save up a lot of vacation time/personal time.

Cons

Negative and a VERY high stress working atmosphere in Complex Claims at the State Farm Concordville Operations Center. I worked there for 2 years and was a licensed claim representative in more than a few states, and had started their "insurance higher education" program. I was hardworking, on-time, and involved in my job. I found that the compensation was much too low for the workload, stress and the shifting work schedules.

What makes this job completely unbearable is the monitoring software State Farm uses to monitor every thing an employee does. With it, this company has turned itself into an organized and hardworking person's worst micromanaging nightmare.

State Farm Concordville's people are overworked, underpaid, and stressed to the max.

Annoying, bored, and very low pay!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at State Farm part-time for less than a year

Pros

I guess the only pro about working at State Farm is the fact that you get some experience from this. You learn to talk to people and not be afraid of answering the phone and making phone calls. Good job for high schoolers.

Cons

What was the worst thing about working at State Farm was the incredibly low pay! They paid me $7.00 an hour and wouldn't give me loads of hours to work either. I'm a college student and getting paid that low was almost insulting. I mean who pays someone $7 an hour?! The customers can be so rude as well.

Ripoff

I worked at State Farm full-time

Pros

Great Peers. I enjoyed my job, but don't miss my boss.

Cons

Management in Finance is filled with lackeys. They don't support people doing a great job. In addition, they don't have your back. They like to remove older employees to fill their spots with people making half the money. That isn't EOM, the last time I checked.

Remove a lot of the Managers that try to get rid of individuals doing a great job.

Office Representative

Current Employee - Office Representative
    Current Employee - Office Representative

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In most offices you can dress down on Friday's, that's it.

Cons

The agents make a lot of money and they should because they don't pay the people in their office busting their behinds to keep money in their accounts. They only care about customers that have lots of policies and houses that are 200k and up, they do all they can to flush the "little" people out. They don't offer benefits and look at it like you are an employee of the agent not them but they profit from everything the contracted employees do so I think they should force the Statefarm Agents to take better care of their staff. This is a selfish company and they've trained their agents well in how to be selfish too.

Force your agents to take better care of their staff, if you force someone to only work for your company by making them captive you should have to pay them a fair wage and give them benefits.

i worked for a cheap employer

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at State Farm full-time for less than a year

Pros

none that i can think of

Cons

to many to list here

take better care of your employera

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!