State Farm Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
2129 reviews filtered by
3.5
2,129 Reviews
State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.
1,143 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 106 reviews)

• Great training program, plenty of opportunities to advance and great benefits package (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 28 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 41 reviews)

A mediocre desk job with a poor outlook for opportunity moving forward

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Malta, NY

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, it gave a paycheck.

Cons

The new model they are moving into called "future state" is awful and is basically big brother on steroids. Every little thing you do is regulated and work life balance is a joke with majority of shifts moving to late night 1-9 pm for 6 months at a time. Poor outlook for career advancement with how they regulate where and when you can apply.

Advice to Management

I understand from a business perspective why centralizing and making the new hours and regulation can improve results but it feels more like an assembly line with no room for error, ideas or freedom. Make it a company people actually want to work for rather than just being a moderately safe job

2. I have mixed feelings about my time at State Farm.

Former Employee - Alabama in Trussville, AL
    Former Employee - Alabama in Trussville, AL

I worked at State Farm

Pros

I learned that I am good with people and in sales.

Cons

There was virtually no training and there was no consideration of the consumer - it was "just a sale"

3. Claim Rep

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Nice Co-workers. Nice vacation if you have been employed for awhile

Cons

Going through a lot of changes. If you are not willing to move that forget promotions. If you want to live in Atlanta, Dallas, Arizona or Seattle might be okay to work for

Advice to Management

Listen to the people actually DOING the work. All these changes are making for BAD customer service.

5. Busy working in a growth oriented personal lines market.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Oswego, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Oswego, IL

I worked at State Farm

Pros

Close to home was the only plus.

Cons

Small offices tend to have more stress. Your happiness at an agency depends on how the agent communicates needs and is helpful. Rudeness to employees is never a positive work environments.

Unappreciated. No matter how much I sold it was never enough. Agents all very greedy.

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative

I worked at State Farm (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good product easy to sell. Easy to pivot and sell other lines. Many locations close to home.

Cons

Agent mistreat employees. Underwriting process is ridiculous. No benefits. Agent don't lk to pay commissions.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation to your employees!

- Left in 2011 when saw the future state was going to continue to grow worse than it already was. I was right.

Former Employee - Data Lead, Systems Analyst, Test Lead in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Data Lead, Systems Analyst, Test Lead in Bloomington, IL

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great security for long term employees.
    - After 5 years your PTO is great.
    - Opportunities to make a difference because it is a sinking ship.
    - Cost of living is low in a the small town helping make the crappy pay go a lot farther, though it bites you when you want to leave.

Cons

- Company has been losing net customer base for years (while selling record number of new policies, losing old customer even faster). I know, I'm one of them. After being a 25 year customer I called my agent and told them I was leaving if they couldn't match Progressive (Progressive was 35% cheaper, Gieco 40% but with some bad terms).
    - Bureaucracy prevents talented employees from contributing.
    - Talented are way over worked to compensate for all the contractors filling the roles of all the departed employees.
    - Flex time is not really flex-time, it is a pre-established fixed schedule.
    - IT Managers don't know technology they manage.
    - Systems are huge, technologically obsolete, and to big and engrained to change them fast enough with quality.
    - Because I came from the Chicago Market, My managers used to secretly consult with me about how they could get out and openly acknowledged they had little or no hope senior leadership could save the company. Most of those managers (many 20+ year employees are still in contact working elsewhere).
    - Huge company in small town makes work life balance impossible as co-workers and their relatives are everywhere.
    - Nepotism is rampant.
    - Is a Class management organization and if you aren't part of management your opinion is ignored. The very reason they can't fix their problems, they don't listen to the people with their feet on the ground who can see the problems.

Advice to Management

- If you don't listen to your employees your IT department is going to bring down the company.
    - You may be a good neighbor but your a tyrant to work for.
    - Tap the Chicago market for technical expertise and listen to their input, it could save you.
    - Open a Chicago Technical operations center to facilitate bringing in good new talent.
    - Reward people for what they are good for and stop trying to "fix" what is wrong with employees. It is a well known fact that utilizing what people are good at has much higher returns than trying to improve what they are bad at.
    - You are doing things wrong, so listen to those who are telling you how to do it right. I was there for years continually told I didn't have the technical skills to do certain roles, yet in the Chicago market I have been working successfully in those same roles for last 5 years.
    - The mass exodus of your technical talent is going to unravel your ability to compete, fix it.
    - Force managers to know technology they manage. They can't hire the right people because they don't know who they are.
    - the only people that are looking to stay there long term and trying to make retirement. Find a way to light a fire under them or cut them lose as they are a barrier to new employees contributing.

Old Fashioned Style

Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid company, no layoffs that's about the only good thing

Cons

Low Pay, They Rush you through training, trainers are not knowledgeable, unorganized. Low raises, antiquated systems.

Advice to Management

Be transparent and honest with your employees, don't force your employees to be customer service reps and then call it Underwriting. Stop Micro-managing adults, need more professional managers that don't show favoritism.

The company had gone down hill drastically. They used to value employees and now they micromanage too much.

Current Employee - Underwriting Service In Call Center in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Underwriting Service In Call Center in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

They value diversity and job security.

Cons

Everything is micromanaged. stress has gone up so much, work conditions are unrealistic. I expect to see mass employees quit unless they are close to retirement. I can't wait to leave.

Advice to Management

Value the employees that have tenure; they are the ones fixing errors and helping agents with issues. It seema all SF wants to do is use new, cheep employees that make lots of errors and mess up policies. You need tenured employees to fix them, or better yet; not make them to begin with. the new system stinks. Go back to how it was in 20010, and you will have happier agents and policyholders. At this rate, you will lose policyholders quickly.

Seeking a crude and unprofessional call center environment? If so, mission accomplished!

Current Employee - Claim Associate - Express in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Claim Associate - Express in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met a few people who were capable of engaging in an intelligent conversation. There was covered parking.

Cons

Where do I start? (1) The training was pathetic. 2 months of PowerPoint “presentations” and computer based modules with very little hands-on execution. (2) The majority of the “trainers” were unqualified and incompetent. (3) The vast majority of the employees and managers that I encountered and/or observed were crude, unsophisticated and unprofessional. (4) The company does not have a dress code. Therefore, there were times when I thought I had inadvertently wandered into a “red-light district”.

Advice to Management

(1) Give up on your current Auto Express model. The application of call center metrics to the claims processing function is a formula for "unremarkable" results. (2) Be more selective in your hiring and promotion decisions. (3) I highly recommend that you establish and enforce a dress code.

State Farm should take care of everyone

Current Employee - Team Member in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no Pros when working for an Independent STATE FARM agent!

Cons

Working for an Independent Agent from State Farm
    State Farm should consider taking care of everyone working for State Farm even if it's under and independent agent.

Modern day slavery, we are at the forefront dealing with angry customers and still have to put a big smile and sell State Farm products and services, but we get zer0 benefits. What a shame.

Advice to Management

If I'm getting paid minimum, rest assure that I will work the minimum required of me. State Farm should look into how their independent agents treat their employees, because if we supposedly work for State Farm, but have no benefits, then we are entitled to tell customers to go elsewhere too, or we could sell them other services.... Right?? Sarcastically speaking