State Farm

Updated January 31, 2015
1,906 Reviews
3.5
1,906 Reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.
Ed Rust Jr.
1,054 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 106 reviews)

• Great training program, plenty of opportunities to advance and great benefits package (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 28 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work full time.

Cons

Fast pace environment and always changing.

Agent Intern

I have been working at State Farm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Thorough training program that is fully paid for.

Cons

Depending on where you train, experience could be different for all.

Advice is more for the corporate side: Insurance is changing and State Farm is slow to move. State Farm is losing entry level clients (Autos) because of price.

Office Manager-State Farm Agency

Current Employee - Office Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked for SF for 8 years on the agency side. I don't have one complaint. My pay is very good 65K plus a year. Time off is great and office culture is amazing. Working under and Agent vs SF Corporate allows the agent to make decisions. Working for in an office is like any other small business each situation is unique.

Cons

Anyone who works in Agency that complains about the office or agent the work for its simple leave. If you are a good team member who knows what they are doing and does it will there are plenty of good agency. There are many agents that pay well, repeat their team members and make working in insurance fun. People also need to understand that State Farm have no control over how agents manage their employees. Most long term team members consider this a major PLUS..

Work on operations. It is frustrating for team members to have 30 minute hold times when trying to get help from our SF departments.

Great place to forge a career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Great work/life balance, good benefits, strong focus on and support for ongoing career development. Opportunities to make a significant business impact. Nice flat management structure. The company takes pride in its history, culture and reputation.

Cons

Salary ranges were reasonable, but not overly competitive with opportunities in less isolated/rural geographies. Culture, while well-knit, can feel exclusionary at times.

Micromanagement to the tenth power

Former Employee - Payment Plan Account Representative in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Payment Plan Account Representative in Birmingham, AL

I worked at State Farm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Stable company to work for, friendly environment.

Cons

Too much money is spent on commercials and not enough on employee compensation. On the first day we received several speeches from employees of various levels stating that they weren't enthusiastic about their pay in the beginning but it gets better over years! They use a time management system which basically tells you what you should be doing literally down to the minute and the schedule changes everyday.
    Call time is to be an average of one minute which means that the employees are just doing anything to get off the phone within that time frame. Accuracy and quality is second in importance. Team huddles every single day in the morning to either tell you if you're doing well or badly. Somehow they feel that it's a motivator. I overheard a manager criticize her team for having an average call time of 1 minute and 6 seconds and suggested that they focused on getting it under a minute. Really?
    I love the nature of the business and was even put into accelerated training but I had to resign because I could not stomach going to work everyday and being treated like a child. There's a simple solution for people who don't do their job, fire them! It's not fair to punish those who act like adults and take their job seriously.

Consider a new time management system that is more dignified to responsible and hardworking employees. Compensation should be increased because the amount of knowledge needed to be successful in SFPP is almost equivalent if not more than the Agents. Set reasonable expectations so that the issues can be resolved on the first phone call and it would probably decrease the amount of overtime production work that is needed to correct all of the mistakes that are made within that one minute time frame.

A decent company

Current Employee - Change Coordinator
    Current Employee - Change Coordinator

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

State Farm is family focused. The people are great to work with. State Farm seems to be secure, having recently passed 90 years.

Cons

if you are a contractor looking to get hired on, this can be a very long process. There are some here that have been contractors for 10+ years. people are told there is a hiring freeze while people are getting hired on.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I worked at State Farm

Pros

-Support from management
    -Friendly atmosphere
    -Pension plan
    -Many opportunities for growth
    -Job stability

Cons

-I do not have any cons that I can think of.

I am grateful for the opportunity that I had to work for State Farm...It was a great place and made many good friends. I would recommend this company to anyone who wants to build a long term career.

My advice to management would be to implement MBA rotational programs in order to attract a greater pool of talented candidates into the organization.

My Experience

I worked at State Farm part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was close to home. I enjoyed the atmosphere.

Cons

there was not enough training, I had to figure it out as I went

Great company and perks... it just doesn't pay enough.

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Incentives! There are lots of promotions and the agents are business owners so perks are varied by office.

Cons

No set training when in an agency office. Very busy and sometimes overwhelming.

Have one set way of training and do things in all offices.

Love the company, not the agent's office I was in

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at State Farm

Pros

Very flexible hours, felt like I was actually helping people

Cons

Agent was very volatile, had financial issues, didn't know how to pay us. If you are in an agent's office and aren't looking to become an agent yourself, you are pushed to the back burner most of the time. Agents get very lax and things slip

Agents need to be held more accountable for how they treat their staff.