State Farm
www.statefarm.com Bloomington, IL 5000+ Employees

State Farm Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

3.5 1,444 reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.

Ed Rust Jr.

1,444 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education"
    in 86 reviews
  • "I was lucky enough to work for an agent that was open minded and rested a great work environment"
    in 62 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not a lot of work life balance in practice"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Agents are considered "independent contractors" with no benefits but are treated like "employees"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Agent Intern

ProsGood training and salary during internship

ConsMy experiences as an intern led me to believe that you will not be successful if you have very strong ethical beliefs. You have to game the system to make money and be prepared to go into debt your first 2-3 years as an agent....potentially upwards of 200k.

Employees treated like cattle.

Birmingham, AL

ProsThe benefits are fantastic and they offer a lot of sick days.

ConsThe company has moved from respecting and valuing employees to seeing them as statistics and warm bodies to process claims. They are moving people around from one operation center to the next every two years or so. If you aren't willing to pack up and move at the whim of corporate hacks, you're likely get laid off. We recently started undergoing a process to reapply for our jobs again (all employees have to do this), and when you submit your application you get a highly insulting email basically saying that State Farm reserves the right to terminate you for no reason. There is an ambulance at the office almost every day. It is not unusual for employees to have stress-related ailments. I have had supervisors who blatantly insulted my intelligence, made inappropriate comments about my personal life, and who have never done my job and have no idea what I do or how to manage their employees. Working here has been a dehumanizing experience. I am seeking employment elsewhere.

Lots of opportunity

Prosplenty of opportunity, great supervisors and trainers

Conspay isn't competitive, poor choice in the new hires in 2013-2014

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Claims

Claims Processor (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe benefits are surely a positive.

ConsNot family friendy any longer. Things are very chaotic. Training is a joke. Very unorganized and you get thrown out to the wolves with little assistance. New work shift dictates you must work multiple 10:30-7:00 shifts

Very good company to work for overall

ProsNice work atmosphere, co workers are very nice

ConsThe pay is not very competitive

Great Benefits but low compensation

Birmingham, AL

ProsThe company offers great benefits and a casual dress code. First day of work you already have 7 days of vacation time, 3 days personal time.

ConsWhen I started they sold me on how the company is a family and of course the motto "like a good neighbor" but that all went away after the first year. The turnover has been ridiculous due to all of the changes in the model of the company. Every thing now is micromanaged and measured on a metric system. Very low employee morale and worse is management doesn't care as long as the numbers are high. I use to think so highly of the company. Compensation has gotten worse and worse each year, we're talking maybe a 1 or 2% raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a better environment for employees to work and don't focus so much on the numbers. It's better to treat your employees like the adults they are instead of children.

What I've Learned From A Year Here. CRC Rep.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits, good pay, training is spot on, and there is room for growth if you can achieve status. Paid time off is awesome. Your co-workers are like family and the company is well known.

ConsBe prepared to feel the pressure...It wasn't until I reached my 7th month of employment that I began questioning where I was going. An incident on a phone call…one SINGLE incident, and this is no exaggeration it was because I did not call a person back…caused me to receive a mark on my record for the next 30 years which prevents me from getting a promotion for a minimum of 3. I don't believe I was treated fairly especially considering all that I brought to my team with high scores and group meetings. To potential and current new employees, be aware of this. I am greatly saddened because every morning I woke up, dressed up, and even practiced nights before how to bring more to my team…Now my motivation is lacking and I have difficulty sleeping at night because my plans I had for this next year to get a great promotion have been completely torn out from under me. Because of all of this I can't see myself keeping the career at State Farm that I thought at one point would be the best thing that happened to me going into my final year at college. Why wait 3 years for an offer that's not even promised now when I can work somewhere else and get multiple promotions and actually feel respected? I wish I could speak to CEO Ed Rust Jr. because at work I feel like I don't even have a voice anymore. Be prepared to work at 4AM in the morning or late at night. The hours at the CRC are ridiculous and there is no 8-3pm schedule available. Be prepared to sacrifice your life plans if you want to get anywhere…The mentality that the customer is ALWAYS right is very expressed in this environment. You will ALWAYS be wrong and in time you will understand what I mean.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to giving people a chance to work here. One of my closest friends who is even overqualified for this position got denied over 5 times and it honestly saddens me because although he does not have much experience, he has one of the strongest work ethics of anyone I have ever meant. And State Farm prides itself on growing its employees, so what gives? Also, be aware of supervisor-employee relationships because at times rather than receive constructive criticism, I honestly felt like at times I was even bullied by mine. Be more understanding of your employees. 90% of my co-workers are stressed out more than what they will ever let on because they don't want to be fired because the pay is decent. Try taking back-to-back calls for 10 hours while trying to stay positive and remember a pattern of what you MUST say when you have people screaming in your ear that their agent isn't listening to them. We need more options to give policy holders, and a lot of us feel like we're just middlemen. Also give more hours to those who want them instead of spending extra money to hire new recruits. If you gave us more hours we'd have a reason to stay, and you'd save money too.

worst training

Prosmonthly bonus was nice and timely

Consno consistency from agents day to day

Advice to Senior Managementnew on hands training

It was a great experience

After Hours Quote and Bind Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Dunwoody, GA

Prosthe location was really good, seeing how it was right outside of the city and the pay was phenomenal

Consthe challenges are seem to what be dominating the world today and that's company with testing to measure and see if you are ready for the working world.

Wide range of experience, friendly co workers and management

Technical Analyst (Former Employee)
    Bloomington, IL

ProsOpportunities to work in many areas and gain a multitude of great experience. Plenty of cutting edge development and support.

ConsAt times, it felt like there was a lot of red tape. This created delays in getting things done that could have otherwise been done very quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on keeping everybody motivated and on the same page, and be open about plans for the future.

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State Farm reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for State Farm CEO Ed Rust Jr. All 1,444 reviews posted anonymously by State Farm employees.