State Farm Reviews

• intern
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

A lot of room to move up within Systems

Former Intern - Systems Analyst Intern in Bloomington, IL
    Former Intern - Systems Analyst Intern in Bloomington, IL

I worked at State Farm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros as a Systems employee(at Bloomington Corporate South) - A lot of room for growth, promotions, raises, bonuses. - Jeans and t-shirts are daily wear(even some managers wear things like sports team jerseys. Obviously you want to dress nice for important days.) - Many people "work to live" instead of the other way around - 2 weeks vacation, 3 weeks after 5(?) - PTO for dentist appointments and stuff like that - Paid sick days - From what people said benefits were "decent" - Work from home days - Flexible hours - Pretty good salary and get raises fairly quickly. - Can apply to different positions at different locations - Leadership training - Will pay for MBA Pros as an intern: - $18-20 as a Systems Analyst intern. - 2 paid days off - Paid housings - Can start 401k (also I've heard internships count as time at the company and helps with retirement) - Many seniors got competitive full time offers. - Currently able to pick which location you want to work full time(Atlanta, Bloomington, Dallas, Phoenix) - Get to do real programming - Can be kept busy and not bored as an intern depending on team

Cons

Cons as a Systems employee - Most jobs in Bloomington(a.k.a. cornfield U.S.A.) - Afraid of making people worried so they keep a lot in the dark (a good example is the "Dual pair metroplex", either people have no idea what it is, or they're worried that everything related to the datacenter is moving to Dallas.) - Want to move people to hubs, but don't help their spouses that also work there - Some technologies are old and no one really wants to do them. Cons as an intern - Other IT interns at large corporations can be paid more. - Don't have any idea what you're doing before you get there - Many teams are not prepared for intern because they aren't sure what they're getting so they don't know what type of work to have planned. - People who would be returning interns still don't know if they have an offer for next year.

Advice to Management

Reach out to interns earlier in internships, at the end I had many directors and AVPs ask why no one had any meetings with them, because interns don't realize that we can reach out to them.

2. Great Company!

Current Intern - Operations Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - Operations Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at State Farm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great Culture -Everyone is there to truly help you -Great opportunities to move up -Pension Plan

Cons

-No cons honestly. I just wish I would have been hired after my internship

Advice to Management

N/A

3. Fun, learning experience

Former Intern - Marketing Intern, Local Branch in Cleveland, OH
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern, Local Branch in Cleveland, OH

I worked at State Farm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about auto insurance and what coverages save the most money and helped families switch to better programs

Cons

Dealt with tons of customers, cold calling with numbers that either do not exist or are wrong people on other line

5. State Farm is a great company to work for.

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Melville, NY
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Melville, NY

I have been working at State Farm as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

State Farm treats their workers very well. The agent I worked for was very demanding but still very understanding. The office operated very well and everyone got along.

Cons

As with all insurance, there are many unsatisfied customers that are angry when they call.

Advice to Management

Give each agency more freedom rather than strict corporate rules.

6. Great company with care for their employees

Former Intern - Web-Syst Intern in Bloomington, IL
    Former Intern - Web-Syst Intern in Bloomington, IL

I worked at State Farm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance Caring individuals Lots of room for advancement and job switching

Cons

Can be too much "red tape"

Advice to Management

Please show interest in your interns. Which most of them do, just a few directors need to.

7. Its good to be Intern at State Farm

Current Intern - IT/Systems Intern in Irving, TX
    Current Intern - IT/Systems Intern in Irving, TX

I have been working at State Farm as an intern

Pros

One can learn a lot at State Farm.

Cons

Its good environment to work but not as exciting as Disney or Southwest no parties no extra activities !

Advice to Management

NA

8. Great Internship Experience

Current Intern - Intern in Champaign, IL
    Current Intern - Intern in Champaign, IL

I have been working at State Farm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team work. Got the flexibility to do what I am interested in.

Cons

Do not have enough full-time staff to help supervise and mentor student interns.

Advice to Management

Have more full-time staff to help supervise and mentor student interns.

9. Flexible, supportive, and honest company

Current Intern - Strategic Resources Intern in Champaign, IL
    Current Intern - Strategic Resources Intern in Champaign, IL

I have been working at State Farm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive intern salaries Flexible hours for RDC positions Focused on developing talent

Cons

Not hiring directly from RDC Lots of bureaucracy

Advice to Management

The flexibility and focus on growth comes off as very supportive, and is a huge reason to stick around after graduation

Overall great experience and one of the best insurance providers to work for. Would definitely recommend to a friend.

Current Intern - Intern
    Current Intern - Intern

I have been working at State Farm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, products and values. Excellent hours and management takes care of their employees. Really feels like co-workers are a family.

Cons

Agent is rarely ever physically in the office, which can frustrate clients.

Advice to Management

Regulate agent hours and provide better training opportunities.

11. Great People

Former Intern - Summer Intern
    Former Intern - Summer Intern

I worked at State Farm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People are incredibly willing to help you and answer your questions. I was an intern there and was able to reach out to people from all over and from all levels of the company. They are willing to let you learn new things. I am an English major but was given the opportunity to make a web page for the internal site

Cons

My second summer interning at State Farm wasn't as great because I was not given meaningful projects to work on.

Showing 33 of 2,713 reviews