State Farm Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

2,392 Employee Reviews

Low pay, no opportunity for advancement

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at State Farm

Pros

Local office down the street from my home, flexibility for a personal emergency, easy job if you have insurance experience. This is the job for you if you're not interested in getting ahead and just putting in your time until you retire.

Cons

$13 an hour plus a small percentage of the NB commissions. You can have 20 years experience, be licensed in many areas, completed the CIC and still be making $13 an hour. The office usually consists of 3 people and the only one making money is the owner (who is usually deep in debt to State Farm). Unless you open your own office, upward mobility means jumping ship from State Farm. OK job for getting started in the insurance industry and using it as a stepping stone for your next venture.

Advice to Management

None. State Farm knows what they are doing and it works for them. They are the biggest Insurance Co. in the US.

2. Customer service representative

I worked at State Farm

Pros

Flexible schedules offered and college tuition reimbursement

Cons

Reparative work, not challenging enough

3. Underwriter

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Great environment, great people to work with.

Cons

Resources to do job effectively are not always available.

5. Well structured company, chain of command. Employees seem generally happy and well compensated.

Former Employee - Office Administration in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Office Administration in Lancaster, PA

I worked at State Farm part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was easy to learn and be trained through State Farm's website and upper management clearly communicated with local branches on a regular basis.

Cons

Seemed difficult to advance in the company unless interning in Bloomsburg at the headquarters. The underwriters were constantly making errors.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep integrity as a priority unlike many sleazy insurance companies.

6. Good place to work and grow

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm (More than a year)

Pros

Cool and Stress free environment to work in.

Cons

Process Management is slow, Have lots of scope for improvement.

Advice to Management

Large scale implementation Scaled Agile Methodology for SDLC.

Good company but please acknowledge and fix your problems

Former Employee - Agency Representative
    Former Employee - Agency Representative

I worked at State Farm full-time

Pros

Well known and established brand, equally recognizable. Normally pretty laid back working conditions but with some pressure to meet metrics. I worked for an agent so it really depends who you work for.

Cons

Where to start.. State Farm is a well known company that seems to be sacrificing some of its benefits to become more like the online discount insurance companies. Claims, service, and underwriting issues take forever to get resolved. It takes 40 mins just to get someone on the phone, and usually they're like an assistant so if you want a real answer you have to wait longer. Internally this company is a mess right now, but they aren't upfront with their employees about how bad it really is. Some people in management tell you to sell the value of State Farm.. which is the value it used to have until they turned internal operations upside down. Good luck getting anything accomplished in a reasonable amount of time.

Advice to Management

Bean counting is great for company profits but not at the expense of the reputation your brand spent decades building. You better fix your internal issues quickly, many customers are starting to catch on, as are many of the employees. If you keep it up, it won't be long before you're just another discount insurance company battling for market share by discounting policies and paying for it with horrible service.

8. Average

Current Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at State Farm (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the people I work with and the opportunity to make additional money off of commission

Cons

I don't enjoy making a living off an inconsistent income.

9. Multi Line Representative

Current Employee - Multiline Representative
    Current Employee - Multiline Representative

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Nice work schedule. Usually find an office close to home. Good job to get started into insurance.

Cons

Poor training. Not employed by State Farm but by the agent. No benefits. Expected to do the work of an agent for less pay.

Advice to Management

Better training programs. Online tutorials are not enough. Many multi-line reps are doing the same work as an agent with out any recognition. Stop giving the rewards to the agents and recognize their employees. Consider a different business model when it comes to offices.

Catastrophe Relief Worker

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, IL

I worked at State Farm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people on the relief team that I was working on were very helpful and friendly too a new employee like myself who was learning on the job. The money was hourly and we worked 12hrs a day for 6 days a week so the paychecks were looking good

Cons

We were working in an abandoned parking lot in the middle of summer in Chicago, IL, so the weather conditions were brutal at times. Also in was the greatest of neighborhoods so security needed to be on standby at all times.

11. State Farm is the best

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at State Farm

Pros

State Farm is wonderful company to work for ,they appreciate their employees. Benefits are great. State Farm has great opportunities to grow with the company

Cons

For me there are no cons to working at State Farm

Showing 2,392 of 2,509 reviews