State Industrial Products Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
44 reviews filtered by
2.7
Seth Uhrman

1. Excellent family-owned company with a relaxed and fun but dedicated atmosphere.

Former Employee - Marketing in Mayfield, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing in Mayfield, OH

I worked at State Industrial Products part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Office culture, diverse employee backgrounds, and teamwork

Cons

Slower paced than a large company

Continue to encourage face paced efforts by employees and teammates.

2. Great products..overall experience not worth it

I worked at State Industrial Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent products. You gain experience.

Cons

The company needs to fix their pay structure!
    Very high turn over rate.
    Minimal training.
    IT department needs a lot of help.
    You will not get rich working here.
    No room for advancement.
    You might spend more on gas then you'll get reimbursed.
    I wish I could say better things but do yourself a favor and work somewhere else.

Do what you say you're going to do.

3. Old School Sales Job

Former Employee - Account Executive in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at State Industrial Products

Pros

If you like pushing product down a customer's throat, this is the job for you.

Cons

You are selling janitorial products

5. Account executive

I have been working at State Industrial Products

Pros

Nice people to work with and incentive trip if meet requirements each year. Big product line that offers lots. Can sell to pretty much anywhere, municipal buildings, schools, churches, manufacturing companies, etc.

Cons

Pay isn't great, have system where each year can increase but start out very low.

6. Not great, but not horrible.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at State Industrial Products full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They did not micro-manage. You were left to do the job you were hired to do. You basically got to set your own schedule as long as you worked your 40 hour week. I did learn a lot from the manufacturing and logistics processes that helped me in my career, but they closed down those areas in Cleveland due to the union workers lack of credibility. Co-workers depended on each other to keep their heads above water.

Cons

Management was very elitist. Benefits not so great. Very high school cliquey, but I've worked for worse. Not much room for growth or pay increases.

Sales reps are not the only positions that are the success of the company. The operations staff that keeps things running need more appreciation and attention. Improvement to the benefits package will help you retain the employees that you want to keep, so consider improving those options. Don't let the unions into the new manufacturing group because their eventual laziness effects more than just the bottom line.

Smoke and mirrors

I have been working at State Industrial Products full-time

Pros

Decent health/401K. Work from home is nice.

Cons

The District Sales Manager I interviewed with lied about the money I would be making. I was told it would be comparable to what I earned at a previous job; however, it wasn't even close! Promises re: pay continued for 7 months until I found another job elsewhere. State's products are too expensive. The State ethos is to work your employees into the ground while they make but a pittance!

The sales system needs to be updated to the 20th century. Inside sales shouldn't be competing against you at any time! Stop offering AMAZON gift cards as incentives to sell - you can't pay bills with gift cards! Stop letting your DSM's lie to potential employees.

8. State Industrial Products Since 1911

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at State Industrial Products

Pros

The company sees the need for change and plans projects and process change to accommodate needs. Always something worthwhile to work on and the days fly by. Mostly look forward to going to work. There is a sense of pride in the company throughout.

Cons

Seems to be a high turn over in many areas of the company. May be because haven't made full bonus in awhile. But it is not for lack of trying. Some important players are resistant to change which can be a challenge.

Find ways to reward employees with more PTO and more compensation. Continue to grow the company while keeping the family culture.

9. Very difficult company most times

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at State Industrial Products full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Creating own schedule and working with people

Cons

Low salary, high sales goal, no training

I raised a family as an Account Manager. OK work if that's all you can get.

Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager

I have been working at State Industrial Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The products are excellent quality, equal to or better than the competition. You can pretty much make your own hours, but that doesn't mean you can take lots of time off all the time.

Cons

You're pretty much on your own. In some places there has been no settled District Manager for years. Not surprising since the District Managers are considered expendable. It's hard to take vacations, because no one will step in for you while you're gone; plan on fielding calls while you're vacationing. Vacations are also unpaid, so you'll be forced to keep them short. The IT department is helpful, but I can't tell you of many weeks that go by without either the web site or the phone system being shut down. Profits are everything, your "issues" are not; you'll get more help when you're earning them the big bucks than when you're going through a more lean period. The expense compensation is abysmal, to non-existent. Also, they cut their 401 matching funds during the same years that they acquired new companies and bought themselves a new $14.7 million corporate office in Mayfield Heights. You'll pay for some of your samples as the sample allowance is small. Most of their products are over priced and will need to be discounted heavily (costing you!) in order to sell. If you have technical problems, there is only one over-worked chemist and a "marketing manager" who acts like one. Sales service has been surly in the past; they're much better now, but they still have "control" issues. When you first join up, you'll be given a bucket of worthless accounts that you won't be able to make a respectable living on. Be skeptical about anything they say, they are typical sales people and will say anything (lie) to make a sale, or to get you on board.

Quit selling cases of "Concrete Companion"; which is a concrete crack sealer that costs over $400 for 12 quarts. Quit it with the "open bucket" policy, that allows the company to take (steal!) your smaller accounts. Pay ALL account managers expenses or prepare for us to "vote with our feet". Tell Seth (the CEO) that he needs to learn anxiety and breath control, and quit the excessive "steepling" during the webinars

Ok but could be better

I worked at State Industrial Products full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is a company were you can learn the sales process and become a better sales person. You have a lot of flexibility with hours.

Cons

If you are talented you will quickly out grow your earning potential with this company if you are on a salary. Even if you are straight commission there are companies that pay much better.Salaries are below average benefits ok but not great.

Remeber what makes a sales company great! Yep you got it sales people.

State Industrial Products Photos