State National Co. Reviews

Lonnie Ledbetter

Pretty Decent

Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Arlington, TX

I worked at State National Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits as far as vacation and sick days Supervisors are helpful Family environment Lunches and employee week is great

Cons

To strict on attendance will give you an event even if your physically incapable Certain supervisors do not explain how you gained points for events towards your events

Advice to Management

Better left unsaid

2. Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bedford, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bedford, TX

I have been working at State National Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very little micro managing, free coffee.

Cons

Work load balance amongst same positions not balanced neither is pay. Just depends on how much the person you are working for wants to pay you from their budget. Leads to much gossip on the floor which is very distracting. Great deal of dissent amongst departments. Not professional.

Advice to Management

Workload vs pay rate balance

Sweatshop trust me, stay away!!!

Former Employee - Document Processor in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Document Processor in Bedford, TX

Pros

None unless you like be overworked and under paid. Anyone working here, run and contact eeoc, more people quit, business go under.

Cons

No breaks else fired, favoritism so if you aren't liked they treat you like crap. Promise you breaks in training but don't allow in reality. On floor fired if breaks or can't keep improving drastically on metric each day. Treat you like sweatshop, stay away, if you work here you'll regret it. They don't abide by labor laws. Managers should all be fired and replaced decent people. Won't promote anyone. Won't give you vacation days you request, do stupid drawings. Favorites get them each year.

Advice to Management

Treat people nice, stop talking behind backs, don't say things you can't promise.

Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bedford, TX

I worked at State National Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent coffee, filtered water, free hot chocolate and gives $50 bonuses at Christmas.

Cons

Health insurance is horrible. I have never worked anywhere with so much gossip and those eager to put a knife in your back for their own advancement or sheer pleasure. Everyone wants to know your business and then share it with others. They should be working and keep small talk friendly.

Advice to Management

Happy employees are good employees. Some staff hardly work and others work extremely hard for the same pay. It is bad for moral when "favorites" who are part of the "old school" company staff, break rules and are rewarded, while new employees others follow the rules and work hard. Not surprising the newer employees continuously turn over.

6. Account Representative

Pros

Work Life Balance Employees treated with respect and appreciated for a job well done

Cons

The benefits are good, but could be better!

Need a steady paycheck and a work-life balance!? Get in, get your experience, and take it elsewhere!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX

I worked at State National Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the other staff level employees on my team, each team member brought a respected set of skills and experience to the table. Other pros: Annual Employee Appreciation Week, Competitive Medical/Dental/Vision Benefits and 401K Matching, Performance Bonus Incentives, Industry Stability and Work-life Balance.

Cons

As State National is in a niche industry, for some positions in small departments, there is no vertical advancement. Also for departments like the Service Center, there are very few opportunities to "climb the corporate ladder." During my time with State National, turnover was very high due to lack of leadership from direct supervisors or people found opportunities with a better salary. Salaries in general, but specifically in IT, were much lower compared to the rest of the DFW market making recruiting top talent difficult. From a technical software standpoint, there was no "latest and greatest technology" being utilized. I reached a ceiling in my skill set and voiced my concern to my direct Supervisor..."I needed to grow, I needed more opportunities to learn." Unfortunately, she had been tasked with Supervising me and that wasn't something that she was initially hired to do. At that point, she was disengaged and I was no longer set up for success.

Advice to Management

My advice to the Executive staff would be to put people in management positions who are passionate about managing people. Most managers became managers because of their tenure with the company. Unfortunately, this has directly impacted the culture of State National, as managers were promoted who lacked significant leadership skills(or the desire to enhance them). There has been no "buy in" from management to develop the employees who report to them. A leader of Operations demands respect by instilling fear in employees but insists he has an "open door" policy. Also in the IT arena, one person in a leadership role has been considered a "work-place bully" but gets away with his behavior per the wealth of knowledge he's obtained in his long tenure with the company.

8. Unfair, slave driven, no care for employees. Contact Center, unprofessional.

Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Bedford, NH
    Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Bedford, NH

I have been working at State National Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work here is to gain experience and LEAVE!. The pay is average and you can bonus. Insurance benefits SUCK! The ded.is extremely too high! Upper management needs to investigate the Contact Center. Complaints have been sent to CEO and upper mang David and Brian however, nothing is ever done about it.

Cons

Training is good for the Contact Center while you are in classroom. When you are on the floor, things are totally different. Its confusing, both upstairs training and on the floor training should be the same (Contact Center) but its not.

Advice to Management

The turn over rate is high due to the fact you dont listen to the employees. Isabel Martinez is the WORST Sup I have ever seen in my life. She is on her Ipad and Iphone when you have important questions and she takes her time while the customers are holding, Not fair at ALL. She is always late and calls lead Chelsea to open the door and let her in so her badge swipe will not show her actual time. This has been going on since my 1 yr of service. Several complaints sent to Brian and David- nothing done. Other Sups, are very helpful. I hate she is my current Sup. I'm looking for another job!

A Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Document Processor in Bedford, TX
    Current Employee - Document Processor in Bedford, TX

I have been working at State National Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For all new employees there is two weeks of paid training as well as on the job training. Given the nature of the business there is so much to learn that it can't possibly be squeezed into two weeks. The O-T-J training is very valuable because you learn from not only management but also your peers who have been there and are more than willing to give you the direction needed to be successful at your job. Best of all, this company is one of the few out there to pay company bonuses and allow you to work form home two days a week. Other small perks include Employee Appreciation Week and Quarterly Lunches.

Cons

Information can filter from executive management very slowly which is annoying at times.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! You get out of something what you put into it and although the work is hard, the rewards are great and companies that succeed do so by ensuring that everyone is working toward one goal to make the company better.

10. Overall a decent place to work.

Former Employee - Clerk in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Clerk in Bedford, TX

I worked at State National Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about the company is fellow employees. It was work but there were also nice people to interact with.

Cons

Sometimes the work can be repetitive or tedious and easily become boring. It can get tiring sitting down all day as well.

Advice to Management

Cross training might help to alleviate tediousness and learn how other departments work.

A family company that only cares about themselves

Former Employee - Contact Center Specialist in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Contact Center Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at State National Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Co-Workers. I really have nothing positive to say about the place.

Cons

Well to start off the H.R. dept has been changed at least 5 times since i was working there. If you work in service your treated as just a number and don't expect to advance because you won't. Upper management acts as if they are superior to everyone and you could work there for years and no one never knows your name. The health insurance is expensive and covers nothing...the total benefit package is a joke and the company is to cheap to do anything better. This company does not give breaks in certain departments but not service and you are driven by numbers and if you have a problem with that you will be out the door. There is no loyalty or appreciation to the employees from THE FAMILY OWNED COMPANY unless your their family

Advice to Management

My advice would be owner, VP or upper management please be loyal and appreciate your service (call center) and other departments. You wouldn't be State National if those wonderful people didn't answer your calls, process your paperwork or work as hard as they do. Oh by the way stop hanging people's jobs or their heads...your turn over rate is outrageous.

RSS Feed </> Embed