State Street

State Street Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees(in 118 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach(in 36 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you(in 47 reviews)

444 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company

Fund Controller (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI had previously work in the AIS Real Estate Performance Measurement area and always impressed at how they continued to search and improve ways to service their clients.

ConsUpper management wasn't always forthcoming on how they felt about certain business groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend having a VP level person running a business group as the lower levels of management don't always have the experience level to properly service the clients. That level is to close to the work many times and can lose sight of what their clients are really looking for.

Job..

Project Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prosflexible flexible flexible flexible flexible

Consbusiness lacks discipline business lacks discipline

Advice to Senior Managementimprove your FT employee quality through better HR

IT Dept Summer Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery friendly people. Supervisor took time out of her schedule to get me up to speed and made sure I knew what I was doing.

ConsSome people may find it boring. I personally always had work to keep me occupied. May not understand the a lot of terms even after the internship ends.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Reporting

Fund Administration Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsPretty good at getting out in front of new regulation and rallying the troops to come up with a solution/recommendation for clients in a timely manner.

ConsThe department seems to be in a state of constant flux with no clearly defined direction for the future. It seems they are going to take the "do more with less" stance to extreme measures.

Neutral.

Fund Accountant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThey offer work at home access which is great for people who have a long commute. There are also a lot of good managers.

ConsSalary is low 30,000 and bonus is very small and it is hard to move up. Work can feel repetitive. Work at home also effectively prevents a person from taking any sick days.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more benefits and perks to help motivate employees. Be more open to helping people move up.

Leave as soon as you can

Reporting & Compliance Fund Administrator (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood benefits, good networking groups

ConsWorst salary and bonus in the industry, hard to climb the ladder and it's about who likes you to get promoted. Officers/Seniors give their work to associates to do while the spent all day chatting and surfing on the web.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize hard working employers and do your job.

ok if you are in a revenue generating position

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIf you are a trader, portfolio manager, etc. - in other words someone that drives the bottom line, you will be in good shape.

Consif you are not one of those positions, you are generally viewed as replaceable.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to what people have to say, encourage discussion, get away from a 'do as you are told' culture.

Great for Entry-level but thats it

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsStable job except for bi weekly lays offs
    great benefits
     co-workers
    work-life balance
    employee organizations

ConsSalary
    Management
    pretty much everything
    Don't work here it be your biggest mistake

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for your talent at market rate thats why every leaves and goes to competitors. Pretty much management sucks and there are too many VPs and AVPs they do nothing. Flatten your org charts

My experience at state street has been rewarding.

Senior Associate - Client Operations (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBenefits are the most attractive aspect of working at State Street. If your interest in returning to school the tuition reimbursement is high at up to 10,000.00 per year. Up to 80% of medical is covered depending on the plan. I've spent my whole career in mutual fund operations but there are mobility opportunities as it is such a large company. There is a big emphasis on training and a lot of resources for professional and technical development if you are motivated to learn.

ConsSalary is on the low end compared to competitors.

Good company but limited growth potential for middle management. Reward those making less not who make the most impact.

Vice President (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood brand, good niche in market, allows for forward momentum in early career stages. C suite management has good strategy and plans. Decent benefits. Nice approach for flexibility. Many people are nice and work hard.

ConsVery little growth track once you are a VP, very socialist when it comes to raises for VP and up. More money given to those on lower end of bands - Not to key contributors that align best to the values outlined by the CEO. Extreme cronyism.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote and distribute money on merit like you say you do. Don't keep all the money for the top 2 %. You can't expect VP's to stay there for 4+ years with no raises.

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!