State Street

2.8
1,390 Reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley
Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Good work life balance with potential to work from home or create a flexible schedule (in 132 reviews)

• The flex work schedule, most people have an option to work from home twice a week (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach (in 42 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you (in 57 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent company if you are willing to drive your own career

Current Employee - Project Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Global company with excellent progression and exposure opportunities

Cons

Generally not the highest market payer

Huge varience of workforce accross all floors

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot of change/movement going on in the firm from outsourcing work to 'Centres of Excellence' which in the short term may provide oppertunities to travel.

There are a lot of smart intelligent people to learn from.

Cons

Roles are being 'dumbed' down due to outsourcing of work to COE's.
    There is an unfair work distribution within teams at various levels across the floor - those who can or show initiative DO most of the work, those who cant get sidelined and forgotten about. At the end the difference in rewards between the two are almost indistinguishable at present.

People are promoted internally to fill positions, rather than showing merit.

Regardless of your work, expect to get an average rating on your yearly performance review. Dont bother to ask what you could have done to have got the next level, as it would only result in friction between yourself and your manager.

Employees are generally not rewarded for their work - for example bonuses are not increased for helping meet company targets, such as reducing the number of breaches, which helps reduce compensation payments, and increase company profit - should all of this go just to the shareholders?

Annual Performance Reviews -Scrap the 1-5 performance rating system. If you want such a system, then expand and make this 1-10. Encourage workers to help the business by setting clear performance goals,with each grading marker defined in a transparent fashion.

Bonuses - To get around the whole 'poor bonus' issue, would it be better to offer employees a discount share purchase scheme, or a bonus in form of shares? That way all employees are directly offered a fair return/reward for their hard work.

Promotions - Do not fill roles internally out of need, but merit. If internal candidates are not yet up to par, then look externally.

Work Equality - Monitor working hours(building sign in/out times of staff), and see the differences of employees at each level. Use this to look at re-allocating resource.

Varied, interesting and appreciated

Current Employee - Vice President in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at State Street

Pros

State Street actually reward performance and don't just say they do. State Street appreciate hard work and make you feel valued. There I also a good culture and work life balance.

Cons

State Street is quite bureaucratic and decision making can be slow

Disappointed at the general lack of recognition

Current Employee - Mug in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Mug in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at State Street

Pros

Nice people to work with and the canteen is very good.

The benefits package is quite good.

Good facilities for cyclists, runners etc.

You can learn a lot to begin with depending on the department you're in.

Cons

There can be excessive unpaid overtime - not suitable for anyone in a relationship and/or with children.

Showing ability or talent can be to your detriment as a lot more responsiblity and expectations are put on you without being promoted to that level or getting any remuneration or recognition for it. Their pay structure is very poor. Salaries are very low and there's little opportunity for promotion.

We've had zero pay rise for the last two years. Not even a pay rise to match inflation, nothing, a big fat 0. This was despite doing good work and working unpaid overtime that cut losses and expanded our capacity to take on more business. Furthermore bonuses are extremely low. I got a "Above and Beyond Award" and a "Street's Ahead Award", which was nice. A pat on the back is always appreciated but never seems to be converted to any form

Their elaborate appraisal system is fundamentally flawed. It penalises those who excel and encourages below average efforts. At the annual appraisal, an employee is given a score from 1 - 5 depending on their performance, however a manager is not allowed to give any score other than a 3 (average). There are a very limited number of 2s and 4s to give out across the board, thereby the distribution of scores fits a tight distribution curve. This means that those who perform well above their remit exceeding all their performance goals are give a rating of average rather than good or excellent, while those who are below par are also given a rating of average. The result is that those who put in the effort are disheartened and demoralised, and employees generally start to disengage from the whole process. Performance review time in State Street is not a happy time.

Not a career but a job. Career progression is woefully lacking.

A colleague said to me, "State Street is a place where careers come to die". Unfortunately there's a large element of truth to what he/she said.

Reward your employees who work hard and show loyalty to StateStreet, or they will simply leave and not come back. You'll earn a bad reputation and soon you'll not be able to attract anyone of any merit to come and work for you. Also the talent

Furthermore stop telling us a load of bs the whole time. You might find that honesty would be appreciated. You'll achieve nothing by insulting our intelligence.

When its good, its alright, when its bad, it is hell.

Current Employee - Corporate Actions Processor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Corporate Actions Processor in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at State Street

Pros

Best reason to work for State Street is the free gym membership and the canteen which serves low price meals. I guess the communication is good and they do have some good programs. The people are ok to work with however our department lost a lot of experienced employees due to other companies offering more money. State Streets answer was to do nothing and not adjust the pay structure. This has led a number of staff questioning if they will remain at State Street after the bonus is handed out. If they pay rise and bonus is poor, I can see that State Street revolving door to keep on spinning.

Cons

Poor pay that does not get reviewed with Market standards. Most employees paid £4-5k what they would usually get elsewhere. Poor Bonus despite our CEO telling us we are showing record profits and this is confirmed by articles in newspapers about how poor the bonus structure is. Our management structure is poor, whereby people promoted are not really known to be good managers. I would say possibly 2/3 out of 8 managers you can have are poor, lack direction and dont know what the word support means.

My advice would be that State Street has the potential to be a great company to work for. All the elements are there however you must raise your pay and you must raise you bonus structure. Unfortunately, Barclays bank, Blackrock, CitiBank and FNZ are already stealing the most valued employees from our department. I would begin to rethink the tactics since you are wanting to look to become the best in the market. It wont happen with temps who are promoted after they have a glittering career doing all the simple tasks.