State Street Global Advisors

www.ssga.com

State Street Global Advisors Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jun 12, 2014
State Street Global Advisors – Bangalore – “SSgA at RMZ Infinity”

State Street Global Advisors President and CEO Scott F. Powers

Scott F. Powers

Pros
  • Good work life balance, More projects coming in(in 11 reviews)

• Friendly atmosphere and culture is good(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Job security also was apparently very important in this group(in 3 reviews)

• Transparency in sharing information across the organization(in 2 reviews)

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company but entangled in beaurocrity

Vice President (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLarge. Inland with lots of resources and strong work life benefits

ConsVery hierarchical and limited upward mobility options

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company talks a big game on being transparent and focusing on clients first and highly values it's employees. But you have to actually do what you say. I find that all the management communication reads like corporate spin written by the compliance team and that your deferred stock program is so constrained that few prospective professionals will be willing to earn 90-100% of their bonus in four year vesting stock

Team Leader. Decent company and work environment.

QA Team Leader (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe work was good. The managers let you do your job as long as it was getting done right. Decent benefits.

ConsThey were cheap in the technology. We had to use a lot of free software to do our jobs, even though this was against the rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet us the tools we need to do our jobs.

SSgA

Vice President of Global Trade Support (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDiverse working environment that requires you to multi task various projects. Working on there Trading Floor has been a very informative experience.

ConsManagers that are not skilled at dealing with employees. Salary is lower then other companies that have the same jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo have a mandatory managers classes for new managers. Start taking care of the employees with simple perks so moral can stay high.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HUGE WASTE OF SHAREHOLDER MONIES

Officer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe company has all the systems and tools to complete daily work as agreed upon with clients.

ConsThis company wastes in excess of 100k per head, per annum in teams labeled as operations and technology transformation. There is no necessary reason to implement such teams, let alone have an office dedicated to managing many peers across the organization to drive daily change.

I believe the shareholders should request a meeting with the board of directors and hold them accountable, or make them explain why they pay such outlandish salaries to people - some who may be smart, and most who are just riding the wave - to constantly change systems and processes that work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDivide and conquer at your own levels, if you dare...

Intern, Institutional Business Group

Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat Networking, flexible, excellent opportunities for future employment

ConsMay not be taken seriously initially, slow pace of work

good work life balance

Vice President (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prosflexiable work hour, working from home is encouraged by management

Conslimited upsides; compensation is on the lower end; short sighted upper management

Not a stable place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood colleagues, collaborative and friendly environment. Easy work hours.

ConsVery low employee morale. There is constant fear of being restructured out of your job. Management has been conducting layoffs every 3-6 months since 2008.

The pay is also significantly lower. There is zero incentive and recognition in doing well.

Good company but slow moving from individual contributor to management.

Principal (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLarge company, known and reputable.

ConsDifficult to move out of a "putting out fires" role. Also the culture of company lacks structure and long range planning.

Investment Solutions Group (ISG) has great working atmosphere!

Winter Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsPeople in this team is very nice and hardcore. I enjoy discussing with them, especially during conference.

ConsAs intern there, I did not have a lot of opportunities to meet professionals from other groups.

Great colleagues, but lousy compensation/opps for career mobility

Marketing (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat coworkers, lots of smart and talented people. Good work/life balance. Lots of community outreach and global inclusion opportunities. Flexible work arrangements. For a US company, lots of holidays and vacation time. Great downtown location.

ConsManagement likes to talk the talk but not walk the walk when it comes to career development and mobility opportunities. Compensations are VERY low and it's impossible to negotiate better. Usually the only way to force the hand is to have a solid offer from somewhere else on the table as leverage. The company is slow and bureaucratic when it comes to internal/infrastructural change. I saw many examples of effort/resources that could have been redirected for better use.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the walk. Provide paths and opportunities for 'worker bees' to develop and advance. Invest in professional development and continuing education for all employees. Upgrade systems and infrastructure to improve business productivity.

Worked for State Street Global Advisors? Contribute to the Community!