State Street Global Advisors

Updated November 26, 2014
2.9

State Street Global Advisors President and CEO Scott F. Powers
Scott F. Powers

Pros
  • Management is generally caring and flexible, offers a great work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Friendly atmosphere and culture is good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of growth opportunity, the starting pay is very low for the industry, most learning is done on your own (in 4 reviews)

• Job security also was apparently very important in this group (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company with a lot of smart people.

I worked at State Street Global Advisors

Pros

Work life balance was solid. The culture was good....people around you were fun to spend time with and there were a lot of smart people. Pay was reasonable.

Cons

The downside was that there seemed to be some complacency on the team that I was on. This could be perfect for some people, but I was looking for a more fast paced environment.

Maybe make a change to give people more drive,a nd to raise the intensity level within the firm.

Good company with good work like balance

Current Employee - Principal in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Principal in Boston, MA

I have been working at State Street Global Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wide range of products and strong sales force. It is also a very collaborative company with coworkers who work well together.

Cons

IT support is not good and there has been very little improvement. It can tend to be a slow to action company.

Excellent company with great growth opportunity, but low pay for industry average.

Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I in Kansas City, MO

I worked at State Street Global Advisors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The leadership at this company is fairly organized and able to support their employees professional growth. They care a lot about their employees and want them to benefit from the awesome opportunities they offer.

Cons

Some departments will require that you work extended overtime including weekend, late evening and holiday hours. Also, they pay is extremely low for the industry.

Good people, but no upward mobility

Current Employee - Senior Portfolio Administrator
    Current Employee - Senior Portfolio Administrator

Pros

Management is generally caring and flexible, offers a great work-life balance.

Cons

Benefits and pay is average. Most movement within the company is lateral (too large of a firm with many people competing for same job), need to be overqualified to advance. Depending on your role within the firm, other potential employers (non-public companies, boutique firms especially) may balk at your resume once seeing "State Street" under job experience.

Cut back on the redundancies - stop trying to reinvent the wheel and "transforming".

great place

Current Employee - Hedge Fund Operations in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Hedge Fund Operations in Boston, MA

Pros

lots of smart people, a good place to learn multiple lines of business, group culture is dependent on group

Cons

very little upward mobility. very difficult to get onto the investment side. salary is not as competitive as other firms.

spend more time on employees career building

Decent people and working environment, but firm continues to lack innovation/leadership to diversify product line-up.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at State Street Global Advisors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good balance between work and family life.

Cons

Lack of urgency to address outflows in certain business lines. Inconsistent hiring practices with comp structure deterring talent.

You're just a number

I worked at State Street Global Advisors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked the people that I got to work with that were in the same level as me. We basically bonded over how much we disliked our "leaders" and I learned this industry is not for me.

Cons

The training kept getting pushed back and then eventually never actually happened. The managers that get promoted are selfish for the most part and have no real leadership qualities. The higher ups tended to promote the people that sucked up to them rather than the people that actually had good qualities to lead people. The hours are absurd for the amount of pay. The turn over rate is insane.

Don't promote the people who suck up to you without thinking about how they interact with people at the lower associate levels.

Not all is as it seems

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street Global Advisors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Industry leader. Technology leader. Great city to work in.

Cons

Large company where people are treated like numbers and considered disposable. Difficult to get promoted.

Treat employees with dignity and care and you will get more out of them and they will stay around longer.

Performance Reporting Group

Former Employee - Performance Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Performance Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street Global Advisors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location in downtown Boston
    Co-workers were friendly
    Technology was always being upgraded

Cons

Lots of turnover so you were always training a new employee and responsibilities would always be shifting.
    Too many useless conference calls that are not very productive.
    Every year, the VP would be replaced by a new VP who would have a new vision for the department.

Upper Management needs to reward employees based on merit and not on who can network better.
    Stop making changes just for the sake of putting your name on the project so you can take credit for it.
    Sometimes it's better to leave the process as-is.

Positive Learning

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street Global Advisors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

work-life balance, abundance of knowledge employees, upward mobility, lots of opportunities to learn and self-develop

Cons

rigid hierarchy, lower pay compared to other banks

More team get-togethers