State Street

State Street Reviews in Kansas City, MO

Updated Jul 27, 2014

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees(in 120 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach(in 36 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you(in 47 reviews)

84 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Experience, Lots of Hours

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGreat industry experience, pay is competitive once you reach management. Good benefits package.

ConsOnce you reach management, you work a lot of hours, 10+ hrs a day + weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't always do more with less, invest in staff.

I learned a lot but hated the work

Summer Intern (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsVery friendly people for the most part
    Flexible work schedules
    Easy to work way up the chain
    Great location

ConsVery low pay
    Bottom employees easily replaced/ very high turnover
    Operate to serve clients every need no matter how large the task may be
    Full time employees pay for parking which is ridiculous
    Have to coordinate with joint venture in India who often make errors that must be fixed
    Work is very menial

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries
    Offer more personal growth and leadership opportunities
    Value employees as much as clients

Sad and Disappointing

Fund Administrator - Associate II (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsNice people in HR and Training groups and co-workers were very nice. Company sponsored activities were fun and made the day to day work life enjoyable.

ConsMost of my group quit just before I started and it didn't take long to figure out why. The departments are so segmented that it is difficult as a new employee to learn your job. I tried for almost a year and it was getting harder and harder to figure things out. I had so many managers that it was often confusing and they didn't seem to know their job either. State Street offered lots of training classes that would seem very useful while in the classroom, but then I would get back to my department only to be told "we don't do it that way" but then no instruction on how to "do it". There were endless checklists that we were required to sign off, most of which made sense only to the person who created them, and again no way to translate into non corporate lingo. I know I possessed the required intelligence to do my job as after all this is financial reporting and not rocket science but they were just unwilling to provide the tools.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice. Provide better training and encourage your employees rather than threaten them. We are all supposed to be on the same team.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good starting company, most should leave after a year.

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsEasy to get hired
    Good benefits
    Well known name(not always a plus)
    Does offer good work/life balance for some areas

ConsLow pay
    Limited advancement
    Constant reorganization
    Poor management/infighting/lack of leadership
    Specialized business units result in newer employees never getting very good at their jobs, are forced to stay in one area.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better pay to retain talented people. Stop outsourcing as much, it is really starting to have a negative effect on client service. Promote teamwork, groups are now fighting with each other rather working together to meet goals.

Bank Loans A1

Bank Loan Specialist (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThere are no pros for working here!

ConsAge of A2 and managers are really young. Bury associate 1's under a mountain of work while everyone else instant messages and watches. No help what so ever. Kansas City bank loans branch is a complete joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, it would take years of change to try to fix the mess that are the working conditions. The people from Boston are unbearable to deal with.

Questionable Leadership

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, good benefits. Flex work program allowing for good work/life balance. Opportunities abound if you're a new grad or have limited experience.

ConsLong-time career not viable. Constant outsourcing and replacement of staff for "cheaper" staff keeps this from being a realistic goal. Upper management puts no loyalty in staff. Constant threat of being replaced keeps moral very low. Little opportunity for growth, especially long -term due to long-term employees always facing outsourcing replacement. Company growth in recent years appears to hinge only on one thing, cost-cutting and replacement of experienced staff - no real corporate growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to step back and look at the culture they have built. Culture is one of long hours, low moral, and constant fear or being outsourced.

Fund Accountant

Fund Accountant, Associate II (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe training is really good and you can learn a lot in Finance and Accounting. The benefits are really good as well, paid for all of my son's medical issues.

ConsThe pay is the lowest in the industry and its not a good company to move up the latter. It is great for just out of school college students who want to get there feet wet. They lay off people almost every year and loose some really talented people there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better wages for employees and don't get ride of the people who have so much product knowledge.

Fund Administration Intern

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

Pros-Relaxed environment unless it is the end of a quarter
    -Easy environment, not demanding at all
    -Good Pay for summer internship
    -Relocation package available to those coming from outside of the city
    -You learn Excel in depth

Cons-Boring
    -Nothing to do at times
    -Cubicle life
    -Older people

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Custody and Account Manager

Custody and Account Manager (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGreat location. Great benefits and vacation.

ConsA lot of overtime is required with no additional compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to know those who work under your direct reports.

State Street used to be the best place to work.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsOn site cafeteria, covered parking and other ammenities

ConsNo support from management. Continued layoffs of tenured, loyal employees that helped build the Kansas City office.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop laying off all the talented people that built your company

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!