State Street

2.8
1,387 Reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley
Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Good work life balance with potential to work from home or create a flexible schedule (in 132 reviews)

• The flex work schedule, most people have an option to work from home twice a week (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach (in 42 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you (in 57 reviews)

More Highlights

97 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good stepping stone to better opportunities

Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate II in Kansas City, MO

I worked at State Street full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are looking for a job, apply at State Street. It's a steady salary with relatively easy work. You do not need to be in accounting, finance, business - all majors are encouraged to apply. There are a lot of young workers fresh out of college, so it's a good place to meet new people, too. The employment perks include various activities, games, and having that "corporate" feel , which can be a valuable experience when working in teams. State Street has a good name recognition and its' experience can be valuable to anyone's resume when looking elsewhere. Also, vacation time is on point.

Cons

It is a revolving door of turnover. These young people you meet will eventually leave for better opportunities (usually less than 1 year employed), as long as they are motivated to move up in their career. State Street has availability for middle management due to this turnover, but the pay will not be worth the added stress. The pay is absolutely the biggest gripe I've ever heard. For the company to target Accounting, Finance, Business majors - all of us want more out of our job. With the promotions that do happen, there's no real incentive except for a resume boost. I have been involved with several State Street activities, but that's ultimately the reason I left: better opportunities to grow and to earn a better living.

-Target non-business related majors - they can do the job just as easily and are more likely to stay longer term.
    -Screen middle management to make sure they are doing an adequate job.
    -Create a better pay structure that at least gives new hires something to look forward to.
    -Own your parking lots so the employees do not have to pay each month.

Good starter job out of college

Current Employee - Fund Accountant Associate II in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Fund Accountant Associate II in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I work with are nice. Easy to move up the ladder.

Cons

The pay is too low

Raise the pay and provide additional training whenever you ask someone to do something they haven't seen before.

I learned a lot but hated the work

Current Employee - Summer Intern in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at State Street full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly people for the most part
    Flexible work schedules
    Easy to work way up the chain
    Great location

Cons

Very low pay
    Bottom employees easily replaced/ very high turnover
    Operate to serve clients every need no matter how large the task may be
    Full time employees pay for parking which is ridiculous
    Have to coordinate with joint venture in India who often make errors that must be fixed
    Work is very menial

Increase salaries
    Offer more personal growth and leadership opportunities
    Value employees as much as clients

Good Experience, Lots of Hours

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great industry experience, pay is competitive once you reach management. Good benefits package.

Cons

Once you reach management, you work a lot of hours, 10+ hrs a day + weekends.

Can't always do more with less, invest in staff.

Prior Associate 2 - Do not work here - Save Yourself

Former Employee - Associate II in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Associate II in Kansas City, MO

I worked at State Street full-time (more than an year)

Pros

N/A
    -As my first job, it can only be up from here.

Cons

Working at this company was one of the worst experiences of my life.
    -The management has no idea how to manage.
    -I was painfully underpaid.
    -During my 2 weeks notice, I was treated disrespectfully, lied to, and the group did everything to make my life miserable.
    -Do not trust anything that this company has to say; it's all fake.
    -Degrees should not be required for the positions based on the pay and efforts.
    -Please do not make the same mistake that I did, as taking this job, while desperately seeking employment outside of college.
    -Managers did not know how to do my job as an Associate 2.
    -I was banned from taking PTO due to having no back-up.
    -I was limited on my time away from my desk, with 5 minute breaks max - as I couldn't possibly miss 1 call from a client.

Gain integrity. Tell the truth about your current and past employees. Take responsibility when you've made mistakes; don't pin the blame always on others. Ultimately, it can't always be everyone else's fault.

-Learn how to communicate, manage effectively so that you do not micromanage or discourage employees.

Sad and Disappointing

Former Employee - Fund Administrator - Associate II in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Fund Administrator - Associate II in Kansas City, MO

I worked at State Street full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people in HR and Training groups and co-workers were very nice. Company sponsored activities were fun and made the day to day work life enjoyable.

Cons

Most of my group quit just before I started and it didn't take long to figure out why. The departments are so segmented that it is difficult as a new employee to learn your job. I tried for almost a year and it was getting harder and harder to figure things out. I had so many managers that it was often confusing and they didn't seem to know their job either. State Street offered lots of training classes that would seem very useful while in the classroom, but then I would get back to my department only to be told "we don't do it that way" but then no instruction on how to "do it". There were endless checklists that we were required to sign off, most of which made sense only to the person who created them, and again no way to translate into non corporate lingo. I know I possessed the required intelligence to do my job as after all this is financial reporting and not rocket science but they were just unwilling to provide the tools.

Be nice. Provide better training and encourage your employees rather than threaten them. We are all supposed to be on the same team.

Bank Loans A1

Former Employee - Bank Loan Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Bank Loan Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I worked at State Street full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no pros for working here!

Cons

Age of A2 and managers are really young. Bury associate 1's under a mountain of work while everyone else instant messages and watches. No help what so ever. Kansas City bank loans branch is a complete joke.

Nothing, it would take years of change to try to fix the mess that are the working conditions. The people from Boston are unbearable to deal with.

Good starting company, most should leave after a year.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at State Street part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Easy to get hired
    Good benefits
    Well known name(not always a plus)
    Does offer good work/life balance for some areas

Cons

Low pay
    Limited advancement
    Constant reorganization
    Poor management/infighting/lack of leadership
    Specialized business units result in newer employees never getting very good at their jobs, are forced to stay in one area.

Offer better pay to retain talented people. Stop outsourcing as much, it is really starting to have a negative effect on client service. Promote teamwork, groups are now fighting with each other rather working together to meet goals.

Questionable Leadership

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Kansas City, MO

I worked at State Street full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, good benefits. Flex work program allowing for good work/life balance. Opportunities abound if you're a new grad or have limited experience.

Cons

Long-time career not viable. Constant outsourcing and replacement of staff for "cheaper" staff keeps this from being a realistic goal. Upper management puts no loyalty in staff. Constant threat of being replaced keeps moral very low. Little opportunity for growth, especially long -term due to long-term employees always facing outsourcing replacement. Company growth in recent years appears to hinge only on one thing, cost-cutting and replacement of experienced staff - no real corporate growth.

Upper management needs to step back and look at the culture they have built. Culture is one of long hours, low moral, and constant fear or being outsourced.

Fund Accountant

Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate II in Kansas City, MO

I worked at State Street part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The training is really good and you can learn a lot in Finance and Accounting. The benefits are really good as well, paid for all of my son's medical issues.

Cons

The pay is the lowest in the industry and its not a good company to move up the latter. It is great for just out of school college students who want to get there feet wet. They lay off people almost every year and loose some really talented people there.

Pay better wages for employees and don't get ride of the people who have so much product knowledge.