State Street

2.8
1,441 Reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley
Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Good work life balance with potential to work from home or create a flexible schedule (in 132 reviews)

• The flex work schedule, most people have an option to work from home twice a week (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach (in 42 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you (in 57 reviews)

More Highlights

A great internship experience for a college student.

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Engaging environment that promoted learning and growth. Interns were given the same responsibility that other associates and analysts were given.

Cons

The work often became routine, so much so that it could get boring. Always good to keep asking for new work or trying different business groups.

Intern

I have been working at State Street full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paid internship with substantial opportunities for career development.

Cons

Large company can often feel like you're a small fish in a big ocean.

Lots of opportunities, a good place to work and a great culture

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

State Street is continually changing and there is a lot of positive growth currently; the company's current strategy for growth; "The Way Ahead" makes it an exciting time to work at State Street and there are a lot of growth segments to the business, so for current or new employees, there are a lot of new areas of business to develop in.
    One of the aspects of working for State Street that is very positive is the very real commitment to community outreach, volunteerism and inclusion. Everyone gets 2 paid days per year for volunteerism, your charitable donations are matched by the company, and there are a host of employee inclusion networks and affinity groups to get involved in.
    Some recent organizational change at the leadership levels has brought in fresh thinking and there's a culture of involvement and engagement in the business area I work in, and there are some interesting innovations and business segments opening currently. I feel that the majority of my colleagues are smart, engaged and motivated.
    Also, for all that there are sometimes long hours in this industry, the overwhelming majority of my colleagues have FLEX work opportunities, with most people opting to work a day or two a week from home, which makes a huge difference to your work life balance when you've got a family and the usual errands / appointments to squeeze in around work.
    I've worked for the company for nearly 10 years, and I think it's a pretty exciting time to be at State Street, and am proud to work here.

Cons

It's definitely a huge company, and sometimes change can feel like it comes too slow, or that some of the business areas and roles are too transactional, or with long hours. That said, there's a huge emphasis on internal opportunities, so if you're in a business area or role that feels "dead-end" or transactional, there are a lot of other areas that you can look to move into. I've successfully transitioned from one business area to another and it's been a really positive experience for me.

I think the leadership is doing a good job, but can be overly formal in how they communicate. Great emphasis on global inclusion and outreach activities, and things like the ALS Ice Bucket challenge last year were great for bringing the company together - more activities like this help foster a sense of inclusion. Embrace change!

Lot to learn

Current Employee - Market Risk Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Market Risk Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at State Street

Pros

Getting to work in different teams

Cons

No core work (Intern) like risk modelling.

Driving Positive Change For the Future

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Jay Hooley recently appeared on NECN, his comments drove home for me the following. Our company is involved in the community, creates an inclusive work environment, and cares about the environment. We also do a great job for our clients and why I am proud to work here.

Cons

The demands and continued drive to succeed can result in pressure and stress during challenging times yet it is the same challenges that provided most with the opportunities to succeed. Expectations are high but what would you expect from a leader.

Ome word: AWESOME!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Boston, MA

I have been working at State Street as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone has been engaging, helpful and collabrative. Technologhy is pretty up to date. Felixble work schedule/telecommuting make balancing work and home easier.

Cons

I wish I were an emplyee and not a contractor - although everyone is treated the same!

Great Job!

Awesome Experience

Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant, Associate I in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street

Pros

Flexibility, Good Learning experience and good people

Cons

Low salary and limited internal mobility

Ask the actual workers for feedback

Great place to work

I worked at State Street

Pros

Pleasant work and co-workers for 8.5 years. Worked with multiple teams that all took pride in their products and relationships.

Cons

As far as I know, full-time employees were happy with their positions and he benefits of their departments. As anywhere, periods of layoffs are always tough on all involved.

Intern

Current Employee - Undergraduate in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Undergraduate in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at State Street as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to interact with employees and get a feel for a possible department that would be a good employment fit.

Cons

Some tasks are tedious and isolated.

Great Entry-Level Job

Current Employee - Functional Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Functional Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at State Street full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Grasping all the job responsibilities in one week is doable by taking notes and asking questions. Every day the job is pretty much the same, so you would naturally get faster and faster at it. Lots of interesting web-based and classroom classes for free, so if there is a subject that you need to brush up on - they're perfect! The view of Boston and the harbor is breathtaking. Co-workers are extremely nice and friendly. I am looking forward to spending as many years as I can at this company.

Cons

When running into a few software issues, the IT help desk could take a really long time to solve your issue.