State Street Reviews

2.9
1,556 Reviews
State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley
Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Good work life balance with potential to work from home or create a flexible schedule (in 132 reviews)

• The flex work schedule, most people have an option to work from home twice a week (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach (in 42 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you (in 57 reviews)

1. Great Expperince

Former Intern - State Street Software Developer in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - State Street Software Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street as an intern

Pros

Great Opportunity to learn from this huge infrastructure.

Cons

Wear formals everyday. But I kinda liked it.

Advice to Management

Have atleast one jeans day every week.

2. Very supportive environment

Former Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in Quincy, MA

I worked at State Street

Pros

Very cooperative team. Well maintained environment!

Cons

Need more project work so that contractors can acquire more information.

Advice to Management

Need to get more IT project works!

3. A great financial services company to work for, especially if you want to go into mutual fund accounting.

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Specialist/Associate II in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Specialist/Associate II in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As an organization that has an inclusive corporate culture and strongly emphasizes performance excellence, State Street goes out of its way to make sure its employees feel valued and appreciated. It also offers employees many opportunities for professional growth and development as well. As someone who worked on several types of mutual funds, I enjoyed my job because it allowed me to utilize my numerical ability and enabled me to gain an immense appreciation for the mutual fund accounting environment. I developed my passion for fund accounting over the course of my employment and wish that I were still a employee of this wonderful and terrific organization. I still remain extremely passionate about fund accounting and continue to think very highly of State Street.

Cons

In this hectic, deadline-driven environment, the volume of work that one experiences can often be overwhelming. So if you are a fund accountant, you must frequently prioritize and multitask throughout the day to ensure the timely completion of key tasks associated with your assigned group of funds. This workplace setting can certainly be very stressful, particularly if you have too many funds to handle and find yourself needing to ask others for help. In some cases, staying late and putting in long hours may be necessary to get other work done.

5. very good company

I have been working at State Street

Pros

good life balance in the company

Cons

a little bit competitive in the company

6. AVP

I have been working at State Street

Pros

Collaborative work environment with the best in field talent as colleagues

Cons

None to speak of and I have worked here for multiple years

7. Business Analyst

I have been working at State Street

Pros

The culture was second to none.

Cons

The role only lasted 10 months

Advice to Management

Keep your project procedures as they are.

8. It is what you make it.

I have been working at State Street

Pros

There is a great opportunity for internal movement and location change. Some great managers to learn from.

Cons

High turnover and lower salary

Advice to Management

Invest in staff.

A great internship experience for a college student.

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Engaging environment that promoted learning and growth. Interns were given the same responsibility that other associates and analysts were given.

Cons

The work often became routine, so much so that it could get boring. Always good to keep asking for new work or trying different business groups.

Intern

I have been working at State Street full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paid internship with substantial opportunities for career development.

Cons

Large company can often feel like you're a small fish in a big ocean.

Lots of opportunities, a good place to work and a great culture

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

State Street is continually changing and there is a lot of positive growth currently; the company's current strategy for growth; "The Way Ahead" makes it an exciting time to work at State Street and there are a lot of growth segments to the business, so for current or new employees, there are a lot of new areas of business to develop in.
    One of the aspects of working for State Street that is very positive is the very real commitment to community outreach, volunteerism and inclusion. Everyone gets 2 paid days per year for volunteerism, your charitable donations are matched by the company, and there are a host of employee inclusion networks and affinity groups to get involved in.
    Some recent organizational change at the leadership levels has brought in fresh thinking and there's a culture of involvement and engagement in the business area I work in, and there are some interesting innovations and business segments opening currently. I feel that the majority of my colleagues are smart, engaged and motivated.
    Also, for all that there are sometimes long hours in this industry, the overwhelming majority of my colleagues have FLEX work opportunities, with most people opting to work a day or two a week from home, which makes a huge difference to your work life balance when you've got a family and the usual errands / appointments to squeeze in around work.
    I've worked for the company for nearly 10 years, and I think it's a pretty exciting time to be at State Street, and am proud to work here.

Cons

It's definitely a huge company, and sometimes change can feel like it comes too slow, or that some of the business areas and roles are too transactional, or with long hours. That said, there's a huge emphasis on internal opportunities, so if you're in a business area or role that feels "dead-end" or transactional, there are a lot of other areas that you can look to move into. I've successfully transitioned from one business area to another and it's been a really positive experience for me.

Advice to Management

I think the leadership is doing a good job, but can be overly formal in how they communicate. Great emphasis on global inclusion and outreach activities, and things like the ALS Ice Bucket challenge last year were great for bringing the company together - more activities like this help foster a sense of inclusion. Embrace change!