State Street

Updated Jul 30, 2014

2.7 1,223 reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees (in 120 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach (in 36 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights
1,223 Employee Reviews

Great Place To Learn

Fund Accountant, Associate I (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWork life isn't bad. They encourage learning and offer many classes, organizations and training.

ConsPay isn't ideal but the people on my team are great. They also have mentioned things that they haven't fully followed through with.

good place

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prosdecent products that you wont find.

Consdont pay enough money or bonus

Advice to Senior Managementpay more

SSC

ProsBenefits, work life balance, flexibility

ConsAll about bottom line, do more with less

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employee morale in mind. Review performance of managers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sad and Disappointing

Fund Administrator - Associate II (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsNice people in HR and Training groups and co-workers were very nice. Company sponsored activities were fun and made the day to day work life enjoyable.

ConsMost of my group quit just before I started and it didn't take long to figure out why. The departments are so segmented that it is difficult as a new employee to learn your job. I tried for almost a year and it was getting harder and harder to figure things out. I had so many managers that it was often confusing and they didn't seem to know their job either. State Street offered lots of training classes that would seem very useful while in the classroom, but then I would get back to my department only to be told "we don't do it that way" but then no instruction on how to "do it". There were endless checklists that we were required to sign off, most of which made sense only to the person who created them, and again no way to translate into non corporate lingo. I know I possessed the required intelligence to do my job as after all this is financial reporting and not rocket science but they were just unwilling to provide the tools.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice. Provide better training and encourage your employees rather than threaten them. We are all supposed to be on the same team.

One of the worst companies out there...

Fund Accountant, Financial Reporting (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood place to learn as an entry level associate if you want to... and its also a business casual culture.

Consno work/life balance, bad bonuses, terrible salary, long hours at work, factory type of work, bad management and the list goes on

Advice to Senior Managementpay well, maintain a good work/life balance for your employees, too much work!!! and omg the bonuses been paid to your staffs that does the REAL work is horrendous (shame on you guys)

Great for Entry-level but thats it

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsStable job except for bi weekly lays offs
    great benefits
     co-workers
    work-life balance
    employee organizations

ConsSalary
    Management
    pretty much everything
    Don't work here it be your biggest mistake

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for your talent at market rate thats why every leaves and goes to competitors. Pretty much management sucks and there are too many VPs and AVPs they do nothing. Flatten your org charts

ProsThe reputation. State Street has an unbelievable reputation and especially with the state street global asset division. That is where you want to be SSGA is where the true work is done.

ConsThe Pay. They are extremely low paying. Salaries start low and do not grow. It is tough to sustain yourself when you are living in a large city with this kind of wage

Good starting company, most should leave after a year.

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsEasy to get hired
    Good benefits
    Well known name(not always a plus)
    Does offer good work/life balance for some areas

ConsLow pay
    Limited advancement
    Constant reorganization
    Poor management/infighting/lack of leadership
    Specialized business units result in newer employees never getting very good at their jobs, are forced to stay in one area.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better pay to retain talented people. Stop outsourcing as much, it is really starting to have a negative effect on client service. Promote teamwork, groups are now fighting with each other rather working together to meet goals.

The usual big company pluses and minuses. Overall, the company culture is not engaging.

Manager (Officer Level) (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDepending on the role, there may be work-life balance. Vacation time and working from home options (flex work) are great but can also be minuses if you are a manager without a staff that takes deadlines serious. You can sometimes move interdepartmentally and there are a lot of good managers - you just have to find them.

ConsGenerally speaking there is little interaction. A good percentage of the staff is indifferent about their work and disconnected from the big picture. Too many complacent "lifers" and management is too sales focused and not service improvement focused. Much of the business is gained because of a lack of good alternatives. Also, not much focus on development.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe corporate culture is the biggest change needed. You do not have happy employees. There some are less controllable inherent reasons for this, i.e. sometimes the nature of the work is boring. However, there are things you can do to not make employees feel so much like a number. You have plenty of new programs, you just need to encourage people to use them. Engage them individually and be a human being. Also, improve the office spaces to not be so drab.

This place is a joke.

Client Operations Associate II (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood benefits - vacation time, cheap healthcare premiums.

ConsIncompetent co-workers, no accountability, you are an employee number, they don't care about the people who do the work but just about the work being done. The pay is a joke, you could start out making more at McDonald's. College education is not necessary, I've done more complicated work from things I've bought at IKEA.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice is a waste of time. You make your money and you sail off into the sunset. Just ask yourself if you really add value to people's lives or just your own.

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!