State of Arizona Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
82 reviews filtered by
2.7
CEO

Pros
  • They have a good benefits and retirement programs (in 13 reviews)

• Low Supervision Great benefits low experience (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, not much opportunity for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• Upper Management is quite clueless to the real needs of IT (in 2 reviews)

1. Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. 3.5 Weeks vacation to start. 3 weeks sick leave annually. Both with the ability to rollover. Cheap insurance. Own Office

Cons

Slow on getting raises. No annual cola.

Advice to Management

You need to at the very least give an annual raise.

Accountant 3

Current Employee - Accountant III in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Accountant III in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits, benefits, benefits,
    Plenty of sick time and vacation
    Don't have to work very hard
    Job Security

The state has great benefits, almost too great. I accrue 4 hrs of leave (vacation) and 3.7 hrs of sick time every paycheck. You get every holiday off. The insurance is cheap. I have the high-deductible medical insurance with an HSA for my son and I which only cost $34 a paycheck. The state also contributes $55 into the HSA every check. If work in an exempt position sick time almost accrues exponentially because you almost never have to use it. I have never had any trouble taking time off.

Cons

Government Culture
    Very bureaucratic and slow to change
    Boring and nothing to do the majority of the time
    Typical office politics
    Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) (11.5% of your pay)

Working for the government isn't for everyone. And it is clearly not for me. As I am writing this I have accepted a position with a private company and will be leaving in a few weeks. If you are looking for a cake job, where you can put your shoes up, sit around surf the internet, while enjoying generous benefits look no further than the state of Arizona. Now every state agency has somewhat different policies and culture but in my experience the common theme I experienced was complacency, mediocrity, solid boredom, and incompetent management.

My biggest gripe was that I had nothing to do the majority of the time I worked for the state. I worked in three difference capacities in two different agencies. I have spent the last two years of my life surfing the internet and watching YouTube videos. Yeah occasionally I have something to do that takes me more than 15 minutes but it was rare. The worse is having to pretend you are working all the time, when you know that everyone around you is in the same boat. I would constantly get in trouble because I had nothing to do.

My next gripe with working for the state is the government culture. Everything takes months to be completed. Simple solutions must be discussed in meeting after meeting, everyone needs to have a say. Certain employees are treated special for some reason while others are alienated. People that are promoted or hired are completely incompetent for their position. Inefficiency after inefficiency. Most people are very concerned with job security and will very reluctantly help you or teach you something. My first position I spent three months staring at a computer before anyone sat down with me and taught me anything.

The ASRS will gut your paycheck. And the new reform laws passed in 2011 make the ASRS a horrible deal for new employees. Unless you work with the state for 25 years and retire with them, the ASRS is will take thousands from you with absolutely no return.

My last complaint is that I am not developing or moving forward. The state government has been and will always be. No one wants to hear your ideas or how to make things more efficient. They expect you to be a yes man/woman and sit there. I was actually advised by a 20 year employee that the best thing to do is to keep your head down and not cause a ripple. I am not that person.

3. Ok

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time

Pros

Good benefits, laid back, lots of different areas to work in, some departments are run very well, benefits are worthwhile if you stay for most of your career

Cons

Low pay, no raises, top heavy with true benefits given to directors only, excessive workload, little support, lack of direction, too many political favors, dealing with unhappy public

Advice to Management

Value employees more, distribute workload evenly, be more efficient, hire capable employees, make directors accountable for their departments, pay a living wage, increase pay at the rate on increased cost of living

5. Not Going Anywhere

Former Employee - Child Support Enforcement Officer II in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Child Support Enforcement Officer II in Tucson, AZ

I worked at State of Arizona full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job stability, excellent benefits, flexible schedule with weekends and holidays off plus a fast accrual of paid time off.

Cons

Extremely high work load, few/no promotional opportunities, archaic and cumbersome procedures, low salary with no raises in many years.

Advice to Management

Work on better, more efficient communication between everyone, especially between supervisors and their team members. Be decisive, don't procrastinate just because you don't have an answer, and if you make a mistake, be willing to admit and learn from it.

6. Very secure and reliable

Current Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, no lay offs, opportunities to move up for those who excel above and beyond job requirements and work harder than they have to. Great work to life balance!

Cons

Pay is below private sector equivalent.

Advice to Management

None

7. Anonymous Testimony

Former Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at State of Arizona full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are quite good, although sometimes we have to be ready to pay doctor. They have retirement benefits, sick leave, annual leave.

Cons

Disorganized, poorly trained management, biased management( not a good place for minorities), no annual raises(pretty difficult to live with salary, some of my ex co- workers had a second job).

Advice to Management

Please, select supervisors with vocation to guide others who are not biased and please, do not be biased against employees who voice their concerns about them.

Best and worst experience in my career

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at State of Arizona full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and functional technical teams are amazing. The people who are there to do the work are very sincere and dedicated to their service to clients of DES

Cons

C Level leadership is not up to par. One is there as a stepping stone of his next career and the other is a warden who has major insecurities and takes it out on the whole organization during meetings. The focus is not on the work but on the emotion or mood of the CSO. The teams are not able to move solutions forward without drama or a melt down. They are discounted externally to our customers when in fact they are capable in delivery if allowed.

Advice to Management

Revisit the structure and keep the emotions out and focus on the work, the delivery of technical solutions and empower the experts to be experts in delivery. Listen more than speak. Faciliate more vs. lecture. Leaders should lead by example and not use the organization and the people in it as whipping toys

9. Technical Analyst

Current Employee - Great Stability
    Current Employee - Great Stability

I have been working at State of Arizona (more than a year)

Pros

Very interesting....room for advancement if you apply yourself.

Cons

NA...A job is really what you make of it

Advice to Management

Document processes

10. Operations Manager

I have been working at State of Arizona

Pros

Benefits are great for health insurance and vacation days.

Cons

Salary...can make more in the private sector

Advice to Management

Management is weak at times

11. Long hours for low pay

Current Employee - Child Safety Specialist in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Child Safety Specialist in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona

Pros

Helping families and children in difficult situations

Cons

Long hours and unrealistic case loads

Advice to Management

Raise pay and hire more Case managers

State of Arizona Photos