State of Arizona Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Anonymous Employee

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement and career opportunities

Cons

political drawbacks, constant change in policies and procedures

Child Safety Specialist 2

Current Employee - Specialist II in Sierra Vista, AZ
    Current Employee - Specialist II in Sierra Vista, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not bad pay. Coworkers are usually pretty cool abd down to earth.

Cons

Constantly getting voluntold to do stuff that makes no sense.

Advice to Management

Working after hours is not acceptable and we need a nights and weekends team.

3. Business Operations Manager

Former Employee - Accounting/Business Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Accounting/Business Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at State of Arizona full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to enhance knowledge of government processes

Cons

Very little employee support from executive management

Data Security Specialist

Current Employee - Data Security Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Data Security Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona (More than a year)

Pros

One of the Pros of working for the State is the Pension and Benefits they offer. Prior to this job I did not have any money towards retirement. With the State you have to work for them for five years before you become fully vested.

Cons

Although most State employees can work at least one day from home the Data Security team can't work any days from home, I feel that IT positions should be able to work from home. I believe it would save the State a lot of money and it would allow for less traffic on the roads.

Advice to Management

IT personnel should be able to work from home

6. don't do corrections

Current Employee - Officer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

working with bad kids to try and change their outlook on the future

Cons

not enough help from admin

Advice to Management

listen to the people actually working with the kids and doing all the work..your education doesn't mean anything if you can't apply it

CRCU Redaction Coordinator

Pros

Flexibility for hours Great co-workers Benefits Central location Easy work

Cons

Nepotism is rampant Low pay and no chance for raises or advancement Supervisor positions given to daughter and friends of daughter of Manager without opportunity to interview given to any other employees against State Employment Practices. Concentration on production instead of the children. Have lost sight of who they represent and only concerned with how fast you can crank things out in order to make management look good.

Advice to Management

Get Back to the basics. Value your employees, give consideration for promotion to those that have experience and knowledge instead of to friends and family members. Management has created a negative environment and keep losing valuable employees over selfishness. Train employees properly

8. going on an interview just read reviews

Pros

I've worked for a state agency and they all have BS with them I just do my job to the best of my abilities and go home and spend time with my family

Cons

I have dealtwith difficult and sometimes unfair management but the key is and hopefully it is with every organization as long as I get my work done and it's probably done I should not have any problems

9. Assistant Director

Current Employee - Mid Level Manager
    Current Employee - Mid Level Manager

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. Small business feel. Good benefits and retirement.

Cons

No annual salary increases. A few slow non-motivated people in other groups. Mandatory retirement contributions are almost 12%.

Advice to Management

Address staff lifers who do not pull their weight.

State of Arizona

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time

Pros

Making a difference for the people of Arizona who are in need of assistance.

Cons

Needs better organization from upper management to lower management and supervisors on achieving the company's goals znd objectives.

Advice to Management

To many directions to staff members without providing the necessary training to better the work place. Take time to say hello so the people feel your are approachable when they need assistance.

Department of Corrections

Current Employee - Sergeant Az Department of Corrections in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sergeant Az Department of Corrections in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits Room for advancement Easy work Team work Although I've listed a lot of cons, it's gotten better over the past year with staff accountability. They are finally terminating the dead wood, making it a much safer work environment. I can honestly say I love my job and where I am right now.

Cons

Some of the administrators create a very hostile environment, it can be very difficult to work on some yards. It seems like the majority of staff are constantly under investigation for petty stuff,mans policy clearly states, if a person admits to wrong doing, determine if it was a mistake, or misconduct. But these administrators serve staff with investigations, which creates a significant amount of unnecessary stress, and they drag it out making for staff afraid to do their jobs. They lack accountability for some, and target others. The majority of open internal positions are given to the "good ole boys". Your education, experience, and integrity mean nothing. I've interviewed for several specialized positions that I qualified for, to include more than the requested amount of education, only to be denied, and the jobs given to undereducated staff, who didn't meet the minimum requirements. It can get depressing. Staff abuse sick leave, and fmla and get away with it because HR won't verify the information turned into them.

Advice to Management

Follow your own polices. Stop playing favorites. Stop the harassment and allow staff to do their jobs. Start noticing the good that staff do, instead of focusing on the bad, you might get people to work harder, and have less call ins.

RSS Feed </> Embed