State of Arizona Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Arizona Corporation Commission

I worked at State of Arizona

Pros

Absolutely zero pros working for the State

Cons

If ANY position comes up at the Arizona Corporation Commission (ACC) RUN AWAY!!! The Exec Director of the agency is as corrupt as they come & the majority of Senior Mgt there are anything but "senior". A real cesspool especially when you consider that there are 5 elected officials whose egos are 2nd to none.

Advice to Management

Advice to management? Go back to flipping burgers, but please publicize where you go to do that ... I'll take that burger joint off my list of places to dine.

2. Great experience, great people to work with.

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time

Pros

- Benefits
    - Agency change with elected official

Cons

- Limited salary increases due to agency budget

3. Financial Analyst

I have been working at State of Arizona

Pros

Benefits-Retirement, work/life balance, impacting community

Cons

Pollitics, compensation, growth opportunities, lack of drive in tenured employees.

5. Don't work at Health Services/AZ State Hospital

I worked at State of Arizona

Pros

Good health benefits including vision and dental

Cons

10% of salary taken off the top of pay for "pension"They don't follow the rules and the law in doing business
    Drug abuse ignored
    Atmosphere is tense and fear based by supervisor and on up
    Don't speak up or you will be punished

Advice to Management

You should all be fired

Accountant 3

Current Employee - Accountant III in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Accountant III in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, benefits, benefits,
    Plenty of sick time and vacation
    Don't have to work very hard
    Job Security

The state has great benefits, almost too great. I accrue 4 hrs of leave (vacation) and 3.7 hrs of sick time every paycheck. You get every holiday off. The insurance is cheap. I have the high-deductible medical insurance with an HSA for my son and I which only cost $34 a paycheck. The state also contributes $55 into the HSA every check. If work in an exempt position sick time almost accrues exponentially because you almost never have to use it. I have never had any trouble taking time off.

Cons

Government Culture
    Very bureaucratic and slow to change
    Boring and nothing to do the majority of the time
    Typical office politics
    Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) (11.5% of your pay)

Working for the government isn't for everyone. And it is clearly not for me. As I am writing this I have accepted a position with a private company and will be leaving in a few weeks. If you are looking for a cake job, where you can put your shoes up, sit around surf the internet, while enjoying generous benefits look no further than the state of Arizona. Now every state agency has somewhat different policies and culture but in my experience the common theme I experienced was complacency, mediocrity, solid boredom, and incompetent management.

My biggest gripe was that I had nothing to do the majority of the time I worked for the state. I worked in three difference capacities in two different agencies. I have spent the last two years of my life surfing the internet and watching YouTube videos. Yeah occasionally I have something to do that takes me more than 15 minutes but it was rare. The worse is having to pretend you are working all the time, when you know that everyone around you is in the same boat. I would constantly get in trouble because I had nothing to do.

My next gripe with working for the state is the government culture. Everything takes months to be completed. Simple solutions must be discussed in meeting after meeting, everyone needs to have a say. Certain employees are treated special for some reason while others are alienated. People that are promoted or hired are completely incompetent for their position. Inefficiency after inefficiency. Most people are very concerned with job security and will very reluctantly help you or teach you something. My first position I spent three months staring at a computer before anyone sat down with me and taught me anything.

The ASRS will gut your paycheck. And the new reform laws passed in 2011 make the ASRS a horrible deal for new employees. Unless you work with the state for 25 years and retire with them, the ASRS is will take thousands from you with absolutely no return.

My last complaint is that I am not developing or moving forward. The state government has been and will always be. No one wants to hear your ideas or how to make things more efficient. They expect you to be a yes man/woman and sit there. I was actually advised by a 20 year employee that the best thing to do is to keep your head down and not cause a ripple. I am not that person.

7. Enforcement Officer

Former Employee - Enforcement Officer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enforcement Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at State of Arizona

Pros

Good Benefits and banker hours

Cons

It all depends on you manager

Advice to Management

There are good managers and there are not so good managers...

8. Overworked and underpaid social worker

Current Employee - Social Worker II in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Social Worker II in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment.
    Good health insurance.
    Nice co-workers.

Cons

Dangerous working environment.
    Low pay for the most emotionally taxing work imaginable.

Advice to Management

Reduce the caseload for social workers.

9. Lacks skilled C'Level Experience

Former Employee - IT Infrastructure in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - IT Infrastructure in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at State of Arizona full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The functional IT level employees are awesome. They are dedicated to serving and supporting the users.

Cons

CIO/CSO/Service Delivery Manager need to go. Organization will never deliver true IT until they get seasoned dedicated IT professionals in the appropriate roles.
    The 3 lead thru intimidation and the only agenda they have is their next job or covering for each other.

Advice to Management

New Director needs to do step level interviews with IT Operations, Infra Project Manager's to truly assess the goings on. Director needs to do an audit on the funding tied to projects as there is mis appropriation of funds.

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. 3.5 Weeks vacation to start. 3 weeks sick leave annually. Both with the ability to rollover. Cheap insurance. Own Office

Cons

Slow on getting raises. No annual cola.

Advice to Management

You need to at the very least give an annual raise.

Ok

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time

Pros

Good benefits, laid back, lots of different areas to work in, some departments are run very well, benefits are worthwhile if you stay for most of your career

Cons

Low pay, no raises, top heavy with true benefits given to directors only, excessive workload, little support, lack of direction, too many political favors, dealing with unhappy public

Advice to Management

Value employees more, distribute workload evenly, be more efficient, hire capable employees, make directors accountable for their departments, pay a living wage, increase pay at the rate on increased cost of living

RSS Feed </> Embed