State of California - Department of Parks

CEO

Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve & Armstrong Recreation Area

Former Employee - Park Aide  in  Guerneville, CA
    Former Employee - Park Aide in Guerneville, CA

I worked at State of California - Department of Parks part-time for more than a year

Pros

I got to go to work in the Redwoods everyday, and talk to visitors about the natural history of the area. The staff I worked with enjoyed their jobs, and were wonderful to work with.

Cons

I worked as a park aide for two seasons. There are a few down sides to this job: 1) it is seasonal--and you can't work for another state agency to fill the off season, 2) the pay is low with no benefits.

The rangers who manage the park are great. I wish the State would allow seasonal aides to work at multiple state agencies.

The more they try to change things, the more it stays the same

Former Employee - Ranger  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Ranger in Sacramento, CA

I worked at State of California - Department of Parks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work in scenic locations, work independently

Cons

They are always changing procedures and reinventing the wheel

none

View office, nearly no compensation

I have been working at State of California - Department of Parks

Pros

California has some of the most beautiful state parks in the country. Even lowly park aides may have ocean view offices. There are also a lot of devoted long term employees who work very hard, but there is deadweight also--see below.

Cons

If you are a full-time, long term employee, you have it made. You'll even get 80% of your salary when you retire for the rest of your life! Wow!
    However, due to budget restrictions (and that sweet pension deal), they don't hire many full time employees: we're seasonal, part time, and intermittent. All these categories have no benefits (except a few vacation hours) and no respect. A number of people I work with are highly educated and motivated, and work wonders for the state park system at slightly more than minimum wage. At least where I work, I have never seen any permanent employee fired for incompetence or laziness--and some should be.

The system is broken. Please fix it! Too many long term employees do nothing while hard-working seasonals get so little.

Worked for State of California - Department of Parks? Contribute to the Community!